Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Desexing - Got me stressed

pacemaker
January 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I booked my little girl in for her operation on the 12th January, (She is not the only dog I've had). But I'm suddenly stressed about it.
I've already put the Vet through the 3rd degree & made enquiries about the surgery, its the one we have been taking her to since day one, and it seems that they have a good reputation. But boy since I made the phone call! I would be less concerned if was me that had to go into hospital.
Any positive feed back would be greatly appreciated.

technodoll
January 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
boy was i ever nervous when we had our little girl spayed at 6 months! but was assured it was a simple and standard procedure, not to worry... she pulled through it more than fine, clean small incision that quickly healed and no complications whatsoever. I had met the operating vet before, she was a very nice woman who let me stay with my girl while the initial sedatives took effect. In and out the same day :thumbs up

so yes relaaax... everything will be fine! :grouphug:

OntarioGreys
January 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
Most dogs come thru just fine, if the vet suggests pre-anesthesia I highly recommend doing as a safety precaution some vets offer it as optonal, it helps the vets check for any potential problems beforehand that may require a change of anesthesia and they check for clotting times

pacemaker
January 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, The Vet we are going to does pre-blood work & gives the dogs a pre-med so they don't stress to much. Maybe he can give me something!

brandynva
January 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Good luck! :thumbs up I had my first girl done about a month ago and worried and stressed. Be prepared for her to come home groggy. Mine recovered quite well and left their incisions alone. Sounds like you have a good vet and you are a good mommy.

kashtin's kin
January 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Hey pacemaker, I am sooo a total neurotic when it comes to s/n, although I am an ABSOLUTE ADVOCATE of same, please note! Over the years I've had a number of cats and dogs spayed and neutered; I get quite anxious, esp. with the bit more intrusive spay. (I also have to confess I'm not as 'sanguine' as you regarding any stuff done to ME, so good on you!)

Just a few weeks ago I had to bring my 2 ex-feral 6 mo. old kittens in for their spays, and I nibbled my nails to the nub that day-even though I tried to keep mindlessly busy. It's such a routine op for vets, so I try not to show my awful nervousness, but hey, if you tend to worry it's rough.

You've obviously done your homework i.e. checked out vet etc. etc., so you've done all you can. Do go ahead with things with the knowledge that you're doing the best thing for your furbuddy...if I can get through the WORRY period, anyone can.

And if you're still hyper-ventilating, perhaps consider a natural sort of calming agent, such as herbal tea or ?? (I would love to have a few stiff martinis during tense times; alas with alcoholism in the family tree, I don't drink...)

If it helps at all, I was given a fridge magnet years ago by people who knew me well :D ...it says "I'm not nervous, just incredibly alert!!!!" Best of luck, you'll do fine, and post again if it helps! :thumbs up

mummummum
January 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Isn't our fear, anxiety and ultimate relief an amazing testament to our relationships with our animals ?

we3beagles
January 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Polly has to go in for dental cleaning and a few pulls (her teeth are awful) and I am sooo scared. We just got her and she is 12 years old. What if this is all that I get? I would be devestated. Callie has to have surgury for her ACL and when the rescue put her under for her spay she almost died so I am terrified for her. It all has to be done though and all you can do is trust that the vets know what they are doing (if you trust yours that is).

pacemaker
January 11th, 2007, 04:41 AM
OK, tomorrow is the big day. No food from 7:00pm & no water in the morning.
I thought I'd spend to-day being all lovey cuddly, took her for her morning work before it got to hot (summer here),had a nice play, then got her home and started to do some work around the house, gave her a huge frozen Turkey kneck to chew on.
And then it all went pear shaped, she could not have been more misbehaved. I won't go into to much detail, but it required gloves and carpet cleaner.
Took her for the afternoon walk with the love of her life, the female Greyhound next door, such a placid a lovely dog, but she ended up growling at mine (1st time I've ever seen her do so) after my dog would not stop jumping all over her, the Greyhound is an ex "racer" but is so calm, she actually loves cats.
Gave her final meal for the night and she has finally fallen asleep after getting all her toys out of the basket and doing a running rampage in the lounge room!
I'll never believe that dogs are not attuned to whats going on.
Anyway keep your fingers crossed for her.

Corrie
January 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Pacemaker…I know just what you mean…when my little Westie, Charlotte went in to get fixed I brought her to the Vet’s office and they wanted me to drop and go..but I said “I want to speak to the Vet first” now keep in mind that I know this Vet VERY well and he is a great guy….I looked him right in the eye and said the following words…”if anything happens to this dog…you can run…but you will only die tired!!! :evil: He laughed so hard..but I think he got the point. :laughing:

Let us know how it goes at the Vets…:fingerscr

by the way, Kashtin's kin.... I have the very same fridge magnet! Go figure!

Inisfad
January 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Ha! Your pet has probably misbehaved because she senses that there is something wrong that is making you worried and stressed. Spays are really a routine operation, and such a great benefit to your pet. They are no longer driven by the biological need to reproduce. The only worry, if it's a worry at all, is the anesthesia. My vet in New York used to keep my pets overnight, so I didn't see them acting all weird afterwards. It's important to keep your pet warm and kind of confined until the following morning, as pets can hallucinate as they come out of the anesthesia and hurt themselves. All of my pets have been fine by the following morning. You're doing a good deed! No more unwanted little ones that can't find loving homes.

Golden Girls
January 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, The Vet we are going to does pre-blood work & gives the dogs a pre-med so they don't stress to muchSounds like a great vet. I'm not sure what time it is right now in Australia but I think your tomorrow is our tonight :o so :fingerscr I'm sure everything went great with your lil girl :)

pacemaker
January 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks everyone, dropped her off at the Vets at 8:00am, weighed her, checked her over, told me when she would most likely be done, and that I could ring about Noon.
I carried her out to her the holding cage (had to, as she reused to walk), as I put her in the cage she clung to my arm with both her front paws so hard,
and gave me that look that only a dog owner knows. I went to pieces, and nearly called the whole thing off right there.
Anyway after a shakey start, went off and tried not to keep looking the time..
Anyway, we have her home still very groggy, but a big relief so far,(Vet said all was well) although I nearly lost it to see her get up and struggle to the doggie door.
I guess I should explain my hightened anxiety, I have been lucky enough to have had 4 dogs of my own, not counting the ones when I still lived with my parents. The last came to me about 6 months after I lost a dog to cancer, she was about six, and was previosly my brother-inlaws dog (originally a pound puppie) they where unable to give her all the attention she needed as they had a new baby, so I reluctantly agreed to let her come live with us.
Anyway, she turned out to be the best companion, but she was taken from us. (again cancer) she was 12 or 13. One day she was fine & the next she was gone.So I guess anything to do with Vets, regardless of how good they are, fills me with dread. I know that desexing is the right thing to do, but whoa boy what a day its been. Anyway I'm off the pat my sweetie and make cooing sounds, even though she is sound as sleep.