Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Hair on clothes

Caldogs
January 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hello All from Caldogs
We have 3 active dogs in our household. Taffy a golden retriever, Licorice a labrador retriever and Smokey is a Austrailian Basset Hound Mix. One thing we are not short of in this household is dog hair! It drives me nuts. I was hoping someone had a magic solution. I've tried those velcro type lint balls in the wash & remember once in a while to clean them off, but I haven't noticed that they help a great deal, so don't rush out to buy them. I got them on ebay. I use the lint rollers before I wash and we have to use the things before we go out the door. Also, anyone have any comments about the roomba robot vacumes, how are they with pet hair. I haven't gotten one, just figured it would get clogged up. We have hard wood floors and carpeting. Thanks

PetFriendly
January 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Ok, so this is probably going to get moved because its off topic. But I bought two lint mitts from avon and they work really really well. They are made from the same fabric as your standard black handled lint brush, but they are the size of your hand so they get way more fur, much faster.

jessi76
January 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
my dog doesn't shed alot, but when he does it's those tiny hairs that stick INTO fabric - tough to get out. My 2 cats on the other hand, leave alot of fur around. I LOVE the sticky rollers. I get the big ones, from Petco, roll, rip paper off, start again. I've found those to be most effective.

another method I like is the rubber glove. those big ugly yellow ones you use for cleaning - use a clean one, and just rub your hand over the couch. it will "gather" up the fur, grab the wad, and toss.

I don't know anyone with a roomba, I've looked at them, but then realized it would probably be considered a "toy" by my dog. I use a regular upright vac, but use the hose and the attachments to get the corners of the rooms that have wood floors. my house seems to collect those fur-bunnies in the corners, and around the base of furniture. For my hard wood stairs, I use a handheld vac, the Shark cordless.

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Mainly I just want to say welcome to the forum, since I don't have much advice on getting hair off clothes. I have 6 English setters, all of whom are great shedders...and when they're all blowing their coats at once, we're up to our knees in hairballs. Controlling the hair balls means vacuuming, vacuuming, vacuuming...but I don't even bother to try to keep hair off my clothes. (Which is why everyone I meet starts out the conversation "Oh, I see you have dogs!" :D )

The hair used to bother me a lot more. These days, we just don't notice it anymore. I like my husband's philosophy--when someone complains about hair in their food, he just replies "Shhhh...everyone will want some!" :shrug:

rainbow
January 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of Taffy, Licorice and Smokey.

As far as the dog hair, I've heard that the sticky rolls work the best. And, about the Roomba, my dogs would think it's a toy as well, and be chasing it all over the room.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
I get dress in my car :D just kidding, I gave up a while ago. I just buy clothes the same colour as the dogs now. :shrug:

pamha
January 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
I`ve heard Roombas are awesome, but not sure if the people who have said this have multiple pets :rolleyes: And I can see how dogs might regard it as an expensive toy. I love my Dyson, but if you can`t go that high for a sweeper I`d recommend anything bagless- I think I`ve saved the price of my Dyson in not having to buy vaccum bags!

Caldogs
January 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I never thought about it being a toy to the dogs. You all are right about that one, I just didn't think about it. I'll try and put a picture in of our gang, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it yet. A particular color of clothes doesn't work for us as we cover all color ranges with our 3 - white, brown and black hair. I brush them outside to try and give the vacumme a break.:thumbs up

mummummum
January 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
I too have three dogs, all long haired, double and triple coated and I swear when I crack an egg I will find a hair inside that egg. The stickytape roller is great but costs a bunch given the amount of hair I have to remove. Packing tape works well and is less expensive but is difficult to control. I bought a sponge from Renovation Hardware (I don't remember it's exact name but it's specifically for removing pet hair) which of all the products I have to say has lasted and two years down the road is still removing hair. Rubber gloves really do work but your have to make sure they are clean, clean, clea (the grease from your dog's coat will streak on your nice black coat as I discovered recently...). And of course there's your standard lintbrush which I think is made of cotton velvet ~ mine, old as it is still works great!

The best remedy of course is something I am totally deficient in doing...and that is in daily brushing.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I brush our 6 every day and we still have monster hairballs taking over the living room and breeding under the fridge! :eek:

Catzig
January 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hmmm, after a quick brush with a lint roller, I look in the mirror and recite my mantra ... NO OUTFIT IS COMPLETE WITHOUT PET HAIR :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
January 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Hmmm, after a quick brush with a lint roller, I look in the mirror and recite my mantra ... NO OUTFIT IS COMPLETE WITHOUT PET HAIR :thumbs up

A very good thing indeed:thumbs up

With just Hunter, as long as you wear dark clothing it is okay. But Cassie is white and brown and black, so you are never safe. And for some reason it seems that she sheds white the most. Her fur is also the kind that really sticks in, so I learned not to wear any fleece that I don't want to be fur covered, when I am going to be loving her, lol.

cpietra16
January 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
yellow rubber gloves...works like magic:D

mafiaprincess
January 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
When Cider first joined our house I was a little horrified.. Never had had a pet.. ever.. And my wardrobe was mainly black, with a buff coloured dog.

Seemed that everything was plastered in fur. She doesn't seem to shed much now, and I assume it's partially due to switching to better foods. My black carpet looks nasty after like a month of not vacuuming, but my clothes rarely have hair on them.