Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why u dont see cockers working anymore!

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
I now know why hunters use labs instead of the compact cocker.... ITS THE BURRS!! They are magnets for burrs...

Can u spot the cocker???? They blend in like crazy!
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/nature%20walks/b1.jpg

Bailey hot on a trail...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/nature%20walks/b3.jpg

End result of playing bird dog:( ( gonna be a long night)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/nature%20walks/b2.jpg

technodoll
January 2nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
eeeeeeeeeek! :eek: those look like an army of ants marching up his head! LOL :eek:

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
you should see his long curly ears :eek: He's drying off right now, he fell into a creek ( just an ankle deep one, but still) hes clumsy when he runs:D

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Oy, Erykah! I feel for ya! :grouphug: That's exactly why I trim the feathers off the Pack before we go rompin' in the underbrush! :D How long did it take to clean him off? I'll bet he thought the fun was well worth it.

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
I didnt yet, i just took the annoying ones off first, we are going back out soon so im just gonna leave it for now, and get working at it tonight, he needs a bath anyway.... those ears drag in EVERYTHING... ( but its worth it to see his sad eyes, doesnt bother me a bit re-grooming him) maybe now i can get him a nice cocker cut... he kinda looks out of whack... especially compared to pretty Cider in the agility pics:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Check his butt hairs--anything stuck in between his legs is going to really get mired in there pretty quick! :eek:

Some of the worst things that our dogs get into are what we call "banana seeds". Man those things are vicious--they're pointy on both ends and they seem to have an affinity for eyes--we've had to fish them out from under a few lids. :eek: And preacher's beads...long stems with closely spaced sticky-balls all along them...man, those things wind themselves in closer and closer to the skin and it can take hours to get them out--we usually have to carefully snip them out! (more :eek:)

After a good run and the subsequent session at our "beauty salon", the dogs can look pretty haggled and disheveled. giggle...they're always embarrassed about the bad haircuts they get from mom. :D

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm not alone ! Bailey gets them everytime. Not Sam because he doesn't go "off trail" as Bailey does.

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Well I got them out.... they werent that bad to comb out, no tangles or anything :eek: Im shocked!!!
He mostly had the ball burrs, and a few of the prickly thingies ( like on his face)
He had lots in between his legs........:eek: he wasnt fond of me poking and prodding around in there, but atleast they are gone.
( or so i think)
He's gonna go for a bath later on, just to be sure, those fluffy paws "hide" alot more than long nails:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
He had lots in between his legs........:eek: he wasnt fond of me poking and prodding around in there, but atleast they are gone.
( or so i think)

Yeah, boys just hate having their moms poke around in the nether parts. LOL But I'm sure he's much more comfortable with everything cleaned up!

Glad to hear that he just combed out for the most part! :thumbs up He must have nice, silky hair.

rainbow
January 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Sure glad they came out fairly easy.

Prin
January 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
Burrs should just die. I mean, spiders and bees and things have their use, but what use do burrs serve? Seems to me they're selfish organisms. :frustrated:

Anyway, good luck getting them all out.:o

Scott_B
January 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Poor cute pup! :o

chico2
January 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Erykah,he is so cute,I love when their paws get all fluffy,just like"my"Bailey,they look like little bear-paws...:love:
You seem to really love this little guy,wish he could stay with you.

erykah1310
January 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Erykah,he is so cute,I love when their paws get all fluffy,just like"my"Bailey,they look like little bear-paws...:love:
You seem to really love this little guy,wish he could stay with you.

Me too Chico... he just went up on the rescue website today and my heart broke... not to mention when i had an inquiry on him yesterday... :sad:
Sigh... its all part of fostering, heartbreak for the foster moms.:sad:

Lissa
January 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Poor Bailey (and you for having to clean him up!!)

That must be why Poodles don't work anymore either LOL. That's what my friend's poodle looked like after a hike with Dodger!:crazy: It took me an hour to get him looking normal again!

PS - I hope whoever adopts him still takes him on hikes though:love:

happycats
January 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Awww poor Bailey, looks like he was having fun though!

(As soon as I saw the title of your post, I thought uh oh, what Frenchy can do with this one!!!D )

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I just noticed they are both Bailey's :o (the cocker and my Bailey the golden)

Frenchy
January 4th, 2007, 08:50 PM
(As soon as I saw the title of your post, I thought uh oh, what Frenchy can do with this one!!!D )

It would be sooooo easy :D

mafiaprincess
January 4th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Awwww...
Cider endlessly looks like that..
It wasn;t fun enough unless she's dirty and burr covered :)