Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Apologies/updates

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
I apologize for getting rude but sometimes it gets frustrating for me to read post that don't help me to understand to remedy the problem. I don't remember who said that its just rough play and they are right. Like I said shes about 17 pounds already so her rough play is more than Ive ever been around. The owner of the GSD has been charged with animal abuse and puppy had a reunion with her mom for a breif period before they seized the dogs. God my hormones are going crazy. Charlie hasn't barked at a single dog since i started clearing my head before walking him so he isn't challenging authority. But heres the bad news i went to the montogmery county animal shelter and i discovered that the GSD was put down, she had parvo ( I wasn't going to adopt her i was going to try and get her into the nonkill shelter that i volunteer at). The vet said to keep the puppy seperate from the other dogs for a couple weeks and she has to go to the bathroom in a seprate area then the others. Hopefully she doesn't have it. Gypsy has had her first shots so Im hoping that that will help her not get it. He did say that charlie and daisy weren't likely to catch it since they are up to date on there shots. Me and my husband can't go to any pet store or anything until we know for sure. Is there anyway you can find out sooner then the waiting game. I know parvo is deadly and i just want to know so i can find out what best action to take.

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
Parvo is a tough thing to witness. I hope Gypsy is safe :fingerscr
Best thing to do is get her into a vet and get a parvo test done, its cheap and fast ( much like a pregnancy test) If her mom had it, chances could be good that she contracted it from her :( but i hope not:fingerscr
Please keep us updated on this

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks i didn't have a chance to ask to ask the vet what could be done i called him right before he closed and i was so nervous and trying to right done instructions i didn't even think to ask. My husband is going to call the vet in the morning hopefully he is open today and schedule an appointment

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Good luck again... keeping my :fingerscr that it comes back negative.
May have to retest though, be sure to ask about that, depending on how long ago she was possibly exposed.
if you havent yet, be sure to check this out. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32900

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
Shes had diarhhea but it might be because i switched her food to canidae gold and just a half an hour ago she started the coughing thing like when your dog runs to much or gets to excited the hacking noise they make

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
morning is to far away

BMDLuver
January 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM
The pups been exposed to the mom so there's a pretty good chance she will get it. The signs to watch for until you can get to the vet are high fever, lethargy, diarehea and vomitting. If any of these start, emerg vet, no waiting for regular vet as it can be a matter of hours to take a pup down. If you do end up at emerg vet then advise the emerg vet as soon as you walk in the door what you suspect you are dealing with so they can keep you isolated from other patients incoming and waiting. I hope she ends up being one of the lucky ones and rides the exposure out without any problems. :fingerscr

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
All the dogs were tested, i wasn't going to take any chances. Charlie and Daisy don't have it. Gypsy does. Shes at the vet clinic on IV's and the whole nine yards she looks so sad. The vet said its not far along but since shes so young and has only had one set of shots that the chances aren't very good. I hope she is allright, the treatment is so expensive already had to pay 1500. Ive been bleaching everything i threw out her kennel and im buying a new one. Charlie seems so lonely without her .......

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
:grouphug: Sorry to hear Daisy...
I will keep my fingers crossed :fingerscr that she pulls through, Poor gurl.:sad:
Im glad you got her in as quick as you did.

chico2
January 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Daisy,I am so sorry,I don't know much about parvo,but I keep :fingerscr for you and poor Gypsy-girl:pray:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I hope Gypsey is okay - I dont know much about Parvo either - its good you caught it early. :fingerscr that she recovers.

rainbow
January 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Gypsy. :grouphug: Positive thoughts being sent for her to pull through. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

erykah1310
January 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
How is she doing today?? :pray: any news????

mummummum
January 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
No apologies are needed Daisy ~ we care about youand your doggies. :grouphug: to all of you.

Daisy2943
January 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
she well be in the hospital for 5-7 days he gaver her a 3 in four chance of surviving and is taking a lot of antibiotics shes hooked up to a machine its so depressing shes really nasueaous and still has diarrhea the vet said if she doesn't improve by the fourth day then shes most likely not going to survive. Im so glad i have charlie and daisy dogs are great comforters

erykah1310
January 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM
3 out of 4 chance of survival is good. Not the best but still good. My Falco was given MAX 20% survival rate :sad:
Im keeping my fingers crossed for her still :fingerscr :grouphug:

rainbow
January 4th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I agree and me too. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

Daisy2943
January 4th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Heres some information regarding parvo which proved to be very interesting. Rottweilers Dobermans German Shepherds (:sad: ) are more prone to parvo and develop it alot quicker also the fatality rate in these breeds are higher
Parvo is transmitted through an affected dog's fecal matter. Also Parvo can attack the heart and this complication can occur months or years after the intestinal infection. Puppies who survive parvo usually remain somewhat unhealthy and weak for life. generally it takes 7-10 days after exposure to be able to get an accurate reading. Treatment typically costs between $75 - $300 a day

Source:
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

TeriM
January 4th, 2007, 02:26 AM
:fingerscr Fingers and paws crossed for a quick recovery.

angeldogs
January 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM
sorry to hear about Gypsy.:fingerscr fingers and paws crossed that she has a fast recovery.

brandynva
January 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I have a friend whose dog had parvo when she was a puppy. She is now 12 or so and has had a full and wonderful life. No weaknesses or anything! Hang in there and I hope your pup pulls through with flying colors.

Daisy2943
January 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM
One more day till i find out if shes going to be allright and two days until she comes home hopefully. Weve come to the decision that if she doesn't improve by the sixth day we will have to put her down the financial, mental anguish, and her suffering would be too much sitting by the phone all day isn't fun always worried is this the phone call. She isn't looking to good she didn't even wake up today for more than 20 mins all day.

Daisy2943
January 5th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Just in case you didn't read all the posts if the puppy doesn't improve by the fourth day then the chance of survival is slim to none

erykah1310
January 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Its a hard descision to make... :sad: I still wonder with my boy if I should have given the benefit of the doubt and tried, although the vet even agreed that it would take a miracle for him....:sad:
Hang in there, and see what the next 2 days brings.:fingerscr keeping you and Gypsy in my thoughts.:candle:

Daisy2943
January 6th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Gypsy snapped out of it and should be allright she might be able to coome home either tommroow or the next day. And erhyka sorry i know i spelled it wrong you tried the best with your pet and you made the right decision because you had your pets best intentions at heart and i know that you spent a lot of time with your decision so it was the best thing to do

angeldogs
January 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Glad to hear Gypsy pulled thru.tell tell her good girl.

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Im so happy to hear that she is pulling through.:D Everytime i see a new post in this thread i get worried.:o
Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery:fingerscr

Daisy2943
January 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Apparently my vet has fallen in love with the puppy and is going to adopt the puppy. I'm going to miss the little girl but i know she will have a good home with my vet. Aparently he has a GSD that he is going to have to put down because of cancer and gypsy looks dead on her. I'm so happy because he really did show her tons of TLC when dealing with her. He even took her home with him so he could monitor her better. I guess this was just Gods plan for her. Plus I'll get to see her everytime i go to the vet. I think im going to stick to small dogs for a long time. at least until my kid gets older. By the way apparently im 4 months along and i never knew it my female issue skips so much i didn't think anything of it.

chico2
January 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Daisy,that is good news for Gypsy and you,she could not be in better care than with a vet,not that you did not take good care of her..and congrats on the pregnancy:thumbs up

erykah1310
January 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Thats great news for both Gypsy and you. :thumbs up
Congrats on the 4 months of pregnancy too:thumbs up
Best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy and delivery!!