Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3-legged cat

crazyforcats
January 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
I am thinking about adopting a 3-legged cat from our local humane society. I presently have a 13-yr old cat, Nanuk. Last April my 14-yr old cat, Oracle, went to kitty heaven. Both Nanuk and myself miss him dearly, and I've finally come to terms with our loss and I'm ready to move on. Nanuk is a very gentle kitty and very accepting of other animals, both cats and dogs. He definately needs a fellow animal companion.

I visited the humane society the other day and a particular cat has taken over my thoughts - even though she was sleeping and I never even saw her face. She is a 7 yr old siamese-torti cross. She was found in September after she had been hit by a car and had to have one of her front legs amputated due to the accident.

My question is - how do 3-legged cats managed stairs (no carpet)? How well do they jump - on furniture, over "baby gates"? I run a dayhome, so I have a few gates around the house to contain the children (including my own). My cats have the run of the majority of the house - the dayhome activities are in barely 1/4 of the house. Are there any special needs for a 3-legged cat? Any advise would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want to take this kitty into my life and home, only to find we can not accomodate her appropriately. Thank you!

Aimster
January 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hello,

I think it's a great idea adopting this cutie. Giving Nanuk a new friend to keep him company would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

I'm not an expert on 3 legged furries but I would assume that this little kitty would do fine with the jumping since most of their spring comes from their back legs, it might be a little awkward on the landing with just the one leg to take the impact but I'm sure she'll learn to adapt to her disability.

I just recently rescued a puppy and I had visited the Humane Society as my first stop in the search for a dog and there was a 3 legged golden lab puppy up for adoption and it was running around and playing in it's cage, happy as could be, you'd never know it was missing a leg.

I say go for it, give this little kitty a good home!! :thumbs up

TeriM
January 2nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Aww, sounds like you would be a good home for this kitty. My vet once told me that the 3 legged thing is much more a human (ie emotional) problem then it is for animals. They just learn to adapt and go with the flow.

Daisy2943
January 2nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
The cat will be just fine. He doesn't even know he only has three legs he doesn't preoccupy himself with it. they learn to balance themselves and cope with there disability and they act just ike any other creature with four legs. You should read chicken noodle soup for the pet lovers soul it has tons of stories about animals functioning just as well as other creatures withfour legs

crazyforcats
January 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Thank you so much for the replies! Everyone I've talked to, including 2 vets, have said the same thing - animals adapt extremely well to what we would call a disability. I know I'm being anal/paranoid/whatever, but I want to be sure I give her the best life possible.

SunnysMum
January 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
We adopted our 3-legged cat, Sunny 3 years ago, and he is a delight! Initially, my husband had the same reservations re mobility -- we lived in a side split with lots of stairs at the time, some carpeted and some not. Sunny is missing one of his back legs and has never, ever had a problem regarding mobility.

We are pretty sure that Sunny has absolutely no idea he's supposed to have 4 legs. He climbs, jumps and has major "zoomie" episodes around the house. Sometimes we find him in places where we cannot for the life of us figure out how on earth he got up there (my husband has a theory that his tail turns into a propeller and lifts him up). He is an extremely friendly, social cat and we just adore him.

My husband recently installed a kitty shelf on my home office window for my little furry office assistant. He made sure that he could jump up there from my credenza. Sunny absolutely loves this shelf and goes up there all the time on his own. However, if we happen to be in the room, he sits below the window and meows until we pick him up (purring all the way) and put the big, spoiled baby on the shelf. But we think he does that so *we* feel needed...:p

A business associate of mine has had two 3-legged cats. He told me that cats have 3 legs and a spare. The little girl you are interested in has only lost her spare. She'll be purrfectly fine and if she is anything like my Sunny Boy -- the very best cat you ever had!!!!

cpietra16
January 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Always remember that cats ( animals in general) are very good at adapting to their situation..its survival ,and cats do it very well.

OntarioGreys
January 2nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
This is a video of a greyhound who had recently had an amputation due to cancer of the front leg showing it walking and going up and down stairs. It is just to show that animals can adapt

http://vet.osu.edu/2108.htm

crazyforcats
January 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
This is a video of a greyhound who had recently had an amputation due to cancer of the front leg showing it walking and going up and down stairs. It is just to show that animals can adapt

Awesome! Thank you so much "OntarioGrey". I will be taking my 5-yr old daughter in to visit the kitty at the SPCA this evening to make sure the cat is friendly towards children. This will also be my first visit with the kitty - I'm really looking forward to actually meeting this potential new member of our family.