Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog in heat

murcynurse
January 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
please can anyone help me , is there any way to get a dog out of heat, or any thing to help the dog not breed

Frenchy
January 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
hum.....get her spayed !

Hunter's_owner
January 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, the only thing you can do to get her "out of heat" or "help her not breed" is to get her spayed. ;)

coppperbelle
January 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM
I assume that your dog is in heat already. If so, you will have to wait it out. It could be about 2-3 weeks until the bleeding ends and then she will be fertile so be very careful about letting her out or near an intact male dog.

Please contact your vet about scheduling an appointment to have her spayed.

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
I agree....keep her tied to you until it's over and then please get her spayed. :fingerscr

4thedogs
January 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
You can't get her fixed while she is in a heat cycle. It takes close to a month to be completely out of it. She will be ready to breed usually between the 12-14 day so keep her away from intact males during the time before, during and after to be safe. Some dogs will only bleed for the first couple of days while others may bleed almost all the way through.
To be sure she will not become pregnant you can purchase a sanitary garment for her to wear when she is out with you anywhere where there could be other male dogs. Only let her out on a leash with you, nowhere off leash where she is able to come in contact with other dogs, intact males.
Make your appointment with your vet now to get her fixed right after this heat cycle. Normal dogs will go through a cycle every 6 months. Get her fixed after this one and you will not have to go through this again with her.

Frenchy
January 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
You can't get her fixed while she is in a heat cycle.

Actually it can be done. It depends on the vet. Some of them don't like to do it because there is too much blood. But it can be done.

4thedogs
January 1st, 2007, 08:03 PM
If there is no good reason why they couldn't wait it out most vets won't spay her. They will have her wait it out and spay afterwards.
Why put her at risk when there is no need. Yes it can be done but chances are it won't be.

Prin
January 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't say "most vets" won't do it. Most will. They might charge a bit more, but they WILL.

roxieandsabrina
January 2nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Most vets where I live will do it. They usually charge $20 more to do it when they are in heat. We had ours done while she was in heat and came out perfectly! Was a little bit more sore but did great.

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Regardless on weather or not vets will spay in heat, your dog will need to be spayed asap.
Best to book the appointment now, explain the situation and the stage of her cycle she may be in now, IF she ends up getting pregnate you can still have her spayed, the pups will be aborted.
Kita was spayed 2 weeks after her cycle because she was mated during her cycle. If there is an opportunity for your dog to mate , trust me, she will. You literally cant blink when you are out with her.
Book the appointment now and for the rest of her life you will never have to worry about this again

BMDLuver
January 2nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
To be sure she will not become pregnant you can purchase a sanitary garment for her to wear when she is out with you anywhere where there could be other male dogs.

Ummmmmm..... and this sanitary garment will stop her from becoming pregnant how? Sorry but if a male is intent on a female, some piece of cloth and cotton sure isn't going to stop him. So please don't think it will!

Best bet is to keep her away period from other dogs and on leash at all times when out. Do not leave her unattended in the yard as males will clear just about anything for a female. Also, semen lives for up to 7 days so just because she wasn't ready when he caught her doesn't mean she won't become ready and pregnant over that next week.

Pretty complicated huh? Guess that's why spaying is so much more simple!:highfive: