Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat living at car lot

Maya
December 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM
I just found out a couple of days ago that there is a cat that lives at the car lot down the steet from me. I had seen him about three months ago but didn't get close and was wondering if he was a stray. So the day before yesterday I was walking by when they were closing up and there he was standing at the door where people come in to do the buying. I went over and a guy came out with some junky looking cat treats, then a lady going in looked as horrified as I was to see him there and asked if he was okay but kept going. I managed to ask a few questions and learned that he has been there for over 8yrs since a girl in the area lost him and then gave him up. He has a cat condo inside and is taken to the vet. I was like doesn't he go home with anyone? He said Ooo no he likes it right here he's not going anywhere etc.. but I keep thinking how lonely he must be. I went by today and called him at his cat door, he didn't come out, which I later realized was probably a good thing that he's not too friendly. He's certainly better off than some kitties but it is a dangerous place imo for a cat to live. He seemed to be okay in the few minutes I was there except that he looked a bit over weight and had a scratched up nose. It just doesn't sit well with me, I keep thinking about it but am at a loss. If anyone has any opinions or suggestions, please share. Thanks!!!

badger
January 1st, 2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, sad. If you felt really generous, you could buy him a bag of decent food (with a hint that better food=fewer trips to the vet. Too bad there aren't two, that would be better, but by now he's probably set in his ways.

chico2
January 1st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Maya,yes to us it is sad,cats belong curled up on a couch,cuddling and purring,beeing loved:cat:
But,seeing he's lived at the lot for 8yrs,beeing fed and treated at the vet,he probably is ok with his life,some better food would probably be a great idea!
At my pet-supply store(Rens Pet Depot),the owner always has a couple of cats living there,he adopts them from HS,takes them home on long weekends.
They were huge when he got them,severely overweight,but now on good food,they look great.
Oh,and they have hundreds of doggie-beds to chose from(a BIG store),cat-trees etc...I always have to look for them:D
Often you can also find them laying at the check-out,getting tons of cuddles!
Not an ideal life,but much better than where they came from:thumbs up

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
If he's been living like that for over 8 years he's probably happy enough. Hopefully he's kept indoors in his cat condo at night. :fingerscr

Maya
January 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you guys or rather girls o shoot woman?:) Anyway yes I was thinking of maybe going to a vet clinic and asking for pamphlets about senior cat foods and maybe asking if they have samples, not sure which kind to ask for. I can't really afford to purchase a bag but I thought maybe samples would seem less pushy anyhow. I want to find out if he has an emergency number on his collar too since he's getting old and there alone so much, he doesn't go home with anyone.:( He does have access to his shelter all the time though which is good.

That is sweet kitty's get to live in the store Chico2, I always like to see store cats if they seem happy there. A store here that sold nick nacs and gifts let their beautiful long haired kitty lounge around and even sleep in amongst the figurines in the window displays. :cat:

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
He does have access to his shelter all the time though which is good.

So, he can sleep indoors at night? :fingerscr

Maya
January 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
:) Ya I think so, pretty sure its one of those magnet cat doors so only he is able to get in. I don't think these are really cat people though because the guy I talked to seemed proud that he gets into fights.:sad: That's probably why his nose was all scratched up. I think he should have a nice retirement home.:shrug: