Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newcomer with a first question

Buck Buck
December 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hello, I live in Georgia. I have 4 dachshunds (all rescues) and l retriever/lab also a rescue. My oldest dachshund is about19-20 years old. As expected his teeth are not top notch, but late Friday evening a swollen place appeared on the side of his face. Down from eye but outside corner of mouth. It appears as if he might be chewing tobacco. I thought it might be a piece of food caught in his jaw but he would not let me look in his mouth nor even go near the swollen place. Also, he and one of the other dogs got in a little altercation over a toy and I do not know if he was maybe bitten. The swelling did appear about 3 hours after their little rift. He is still eating, etc so I hoped he would work it out by himself. HOwever, today the swelling has gone down a little but it is pretty wet and slightly bloody. He still will not let me near it so I can;t clean it. I have looked at it with a flashlight and do not think I see anything that resembles pus. He is on Rimadyl for arthritis (but only has one pill left). But it never fails it is a holiday weekend and our vet is out of the office until Tuesday. Unless it is life threatening I was hoping not to have to call the emergency animal hospital as it is very expensive.
Question: Has anyone seen something like this? What would be your suggestion?

roxieandsabrina
December 31st, 2006, 08:09 PM
Welcome!! I am sorry your doxie is hurt! I wish I knew what to tell you. I have no idea except watch it and hopefully it doesn't get worse before you can take him to the vet!

Prin
December 31st, 2006, 08:43 PM
Could be an absess.. The sooner you get to the vet the better.

Good luck! :):fingerscr

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like an abcess to me which would be pretty painful. I would get him to a vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Frenchy
January 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yes please consult a vet asap. If it's the same as for humans, if the swelling (if infected) goes up in his face , it could damage his eye, ear and so on.

Buck Buck
January 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
I realized that I should not have posted so much detail on the Welcome Forum. So I will update quickly and then move to another forum for later updates. Sorry, Sticky. Place looks better, swelling way down and not draining. He will let me touch and look at now. But he will still be going to see Dr. tomorrow. Thanks, will talk more later.

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Glad he seems a bit better. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. :fingerscr