Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog has stiffness in hip

Brandy Michaud
February 12th, 2002, 06:11 PM
I have a 7 1/2 year old yellow lab mix spayed female, this winter when she gets a little bit of exercise, she'll come in, lay down & when she gets up her left hind leg is very lame. She doesn't want to use it or put any weight on it. Lately, she has been kept from doing any exercise, & she still is lame after laying down for a while. What could be wrong?

laroi
March 13th, 2002, 11:56 AM
It is possible that

1-she really overexerted her muscles and they have not healed properly due to insufficient resting.
2-she ripped a ligament or a tendon.
3-she is developing or has developed arthritis or bursitis.

You have to ask a vet to be sure.

Good luck
Laroi

gish family
March 29th, 2002, 04:03 PM
My Lab-Mix had the very same symptoms which turned out to be a torn ACL in his knee...just like the football players get. He ended up having surgery that improved it some, however he never actually regained full strength in the leg. My dog was 11 when this happened and even though he was not totally cured after surgery, he was able to put weight on the leg and get around somewhat normally. He continued to be really sore after lying down, and we had to continue to limit his exercise to walking (with only an occasional run when a cat was spotted across the yard) to keep him from re-injuring the tissue. He also had arthritis, which Rimadyl did help to control.

I wish you the best of luck and recommend that you get two opinions prior to surgery, as we were not totally satisfied with the results of only one opinion.