Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Real tree or Fake tree??

erykah1310
December 31st, 2006, 12:16 AM
There has been alot of discussion regarding this topic this christmas...
http://environment.about.com/od/greenchristmas/a/christmas_trees.htm

What do you have????

Byrd
December 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
Fake, I'm allergic to pine.

Also, I don't believe in killing poor innocent trees only to put them in your house and subject them to the embarrassement of having decorations hung off of them. Could you imagine being chopped off at the feet, stuck in the corner of a hot house, having lights strung around your body, and decorations hung off your fingers and nose? *shudder* :(

erykah1310
December 31st, 2006, 12:26 AM
Good point, however, i dont have issues with select cutting of trees, clear cutting yes, but select cutting has actually proven benefical to the forests. :shrug:
Buying from a tree farm, well ... new ones are planted after the years trees are cut.
Also, the tree can be chipped and composted afterwards:shrug:

Thats my opinion though , and everyone is entitled to their own. ( makes the world an interesting place right:o )

Byrd
December 31st, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I know, 'and this is where our furniture comes from', still though, they are poor living critters. If people actually go out and chop their own, (tree's not cut until it's sold), I'm better with that than the pre-cut trees.... hate seeing them all lined up outside a store. :mad:

erykah1310
December 31st, 2006, 12:31 AM
I hear ya on that one, all bound up like little prisioners:sad:

jesse's mommy
December 31st, 2006, 01:02 AM
Fake for us. I don't like killing trees and I don't like dealing with the mess of a real tree. The smell is awesome, but the mess isn't worth it. I usually just buy a pine candle. :)

Kristin7
December 31st, 2006, 08:10 AM
I have a fake one which has only been put up once. Before that, all were real. I dont' like killing the trees either. When I lived in a warm climate I used to buy the live rosemary bushes and plant them outside after the holidays. Now those smell great! The last few years I haven't put up a tree, though, thanks to my tree climbing cat.

cpietra16
December 31st, 2006, 09:12 AM
For those who know how much trouble I had trying to get rid of ants without killing them probably know I would never buy a dead tree so that I can enjoy it for 2 weeks before I throw it out....I would rather plant them outside and put the light on it when I know it's still alive. I hate killing for my benefit..

Byrd
December 31st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Wow, here I always thought that I was the only one that felt this way.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
We have a real tree - this one this year is pretty good hardly any needles dropped at all.

We got ours from a nursery this year - so yes there was lots of trees there :( . We keep talking about getting the fake one - maybe next year.

Rottielover
December 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM
fake, 2 reasons.....do not need harley marking inside with a real one, and not allowed in the apt building...fire hazard

Prin
December 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
Real. They say that a real one is more eco friendly than a fake one. :shrug: Between the manufacturing, the plastics, the chemicals released into the air from the plastics, not to mention when you finally throw it out...

And I grew up cutting my own in the forest, so it's hard to not have one. If I could find a new place to get a tree, I'd cut just the top off. Kinda makes them ugly, but they survive. :o For now, I just get them from the farmers up here.

Skryker
December 31st, 2006, 04:45 PM
Fake, even if I didn't get it put up this year. My sister is very allergic to pine, so we always had a fake (in fact, my parents still have the original fake tree they bought 40-odd years ago, although it's getting pretty shaky now.) So, I never think about a real tree. :o I kinda don't like the idea of cutting down a tree for decoration, either.

My hubby likes the idea of having a potted pine decorated for Christmas, with the plan being to keep it alive until it can be planted in the spring. He thinks it would be cool to have a row of trees in the yard representing all the family Christmases in a house. I like the idea, too-we just haven't been able to work out all the logistics yet!

OntarioGreys
January 1st, 2007, 12:07 AM
My hubby likes the idea of having a potted pine decorated for Christmas,

Pretty much what I did, mine is a 2 foot potted evergreen shrub that was decorated, I am keeping it in my enclosed porch where it is cooler and can get lots of light and then will plant is outside in the spring

Schwinn
January 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
I always grew up with a fake tree, but ever since Mrs. Schwinn and I got together, she insisted on a real tree. I don't have a problem with them, since they were grown for that purpose.

I had planned on taking Grace to one of the tree farms where they take you by horse sleigh out into the woods to pick and cut your own, but since we're still sans-snow...:sad:

I personally would be just as happy with a fake tree, since I'm allergic to real trees (which is great when you're a mountain biker!), and I always look like I was porcupine wrestling by the time I get the stupid thing up, and spin it six times to get the "right spot".

This year, I had been so pre-occupied with my police test, I didn't even realize how close we were to Christmas until I was in the gym a week and half before, and saw them giving the Christmas forcast on the TV. We were gone for Christmas, so Mrs. Schwinn didn't see a point. I won't be doing that again, though. Especially since next year Gracie will be more aware of it. Even if I have to drag out the fake one from storage, we'll have a tree!

technodoll
January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
no tree in our very small place the past few years but when i used to, real all the way baby :highfive: you can't beat the smell, feel and look of a real tree. i only buy from places that farm them and make sure to put it out for recycling after. i hate hate hate fake plastic trees (shudder), not only does it take some of the holiday spirit away but plastic? NOT eco-friendly at all. they just line up the landfills for centuries to come :(

happycats
January 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
After being owned by 6 cats, the choice was pretty much made for me!
FAKE all the way:thumbs up

jessi76
January 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
fake tree for me. mine comes in 3 pieces, bottom - middle - top, and is pre-lit. snap the 3 pieces together, and plug it in - DONE! takes all of 5 min to set it up. I LOVE it. best purchase I've ever made.

then I lite a pine-candle, and viola - the smell of a real pine tree.