Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

introducing a cat and dog

badger
March 11th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Does anybody have any ideas/links as to how to integrate a very good-natured active cat (with claws) into a household with no other cats, but with a very laid-back dog (some kind of collie cross)? The dog has a good history with cats - tends to ignore them - but a resident cat, attracting lots of attention at the beginning, may be another story.

Luba
March 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I betcha LR can tell you!

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Yup! Since I foster cats (16 in the last 1 1/2 yrs) I've had plenty of experience introducing them to my dog.

Feral tomcats, nursing mothers, kittens, senior cats, etc...!

Since the cat and dog are both calm and laid back, it should go well if done right!

Here's what I do:

Put the cat in a room with all his stuff, close the door and leave him there for 2 - 3 days, until he knows that is HIS territory. Leave a blanket or something the dog lies on in there with him.

Then, you can put a baby gate on the door of the room and start leaving it open when someone is home. Raise it just high enough for the cat to get under, but not the dog. Knowing he has a "safe haven" will make the cat much more secure and brave.

Let him come out in his own time. He will probably make a few short forays out before coming out for good. Let him take all the time he needs. Do not allow the dog to approach the cat when he first comes out.

Very important - never ever try and rush to introduce dog and cat, or force the cat to meet the dog. He must decide on his own that the dog is no threat and then he should be o.k.

This is how I always do it, and have had no problem so far. My dog is also very laid back and does not chase cats, so they learned to trust her and got over their fear - and many were cats who had never been near a dog, or even seen one in their lives.

chico2
March 13th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Hello Badger! What about your resident bathroom-cat? I suppose he's gone since you have a dog now too..?

badger
March 13th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Arthur the bathroom cat is the one being integrated - elsewhere -with family, dog, yard, as above. Freeeedom! I'm keeping everything crossed that it will work out well.
Except for injuries (had a sick pigeon in there last summer) and 40-below nights, I hereby vow that nothing animate will be relegated there again and that it will henceforth be the inviting, sweetly-scented chamber I remember, suitable for all the usual activities, without having to clear the bath of toys and half-chewed catnip treats, the floor of litterboxes and the drains of hair.
Now, about that dog you see in my future... JUST KIDDING

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2004, 11:43 AM
It should work out if they take their time. The biggest mistake people make when introducing any animals is rushing too much. I don't know what the hurry is...

Wrong introductions can cause very longterm problems.

Yeah badger - I know what you mean. My lovely guestroom has been inhabited by a stream of foster cats and litters of kittens who have trashed it like vandals.:(

It's now as stripped down as a prison cell.

chico2
March 13th, 2004, 01:22 PM
That's great Badger! I sooo wish I could have a dog,a smaller one,I love chihuahuas.A girl I know has 3,all rescues,all animal cruelty victims and they are now wonderful little dogs,but my cats would a Chi for lunch:p
I was just outside with my cats,I saw Cracklers,Red-winged black-birds are back and my tulips are peeking out,so spring is not far away...!!!!!
oops Badger,I missunderstood,I thought you were getting a dog:eek:

Spoiled
March 14th, 2004, 09:49 AM
It's now as stripped down as a prison cell.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: