Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hard evo poops?

~michelle~
December 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
so all three of the pups are now on evo and their poops are rock hard anyone else have this prob. thinking of switching back to reg innova

Scott_B
December 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM
My cats are all on Evo and their poops are hard. I dont think thats really a bad thing as long as there is no blood and its not hurting them. The plus side of hard poops means their anal glands dont become a problem :thumbs up

technodoll
December 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
i've heard of some dogs getting constipated on Evo, their bodies are not used to the grain-free diet... you can simply add a bit of boiled rice to the kibble to help move things along, or some canned pumpkin :thumbs up

~michelle~
December 30th, 2006, 04:54 PM
ive heard of trying canned pumpking, maybe ill add that. how much would be good a tablespoon? would digestive enzymes be a good idea?i just dont want super soft poops either because i am sick of cleaning up messes on the carpet! oh huskys and their sensitive digestive tracts!!! their do seem to push a little harder to get them out but doesnt appear to be causing pain or anything.

technodoll
December 30th, 2006, 04:57 PM
michelle if they aren't constipated or don't seem in discomfort when pooping, i'd say they are just digesting the Evo very well and it's not a bad thing! dogs on a raw diet have tiny hard poops, it's efficient digestion, good for the anal glands and easier to pick up. If you want to add canned pumpkin, try a small tablespoon per dog first and see if that helps. you can even mix with a little plain yogurt, too. :thumbs up

~michelle~
December 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM
ok thanks..... i got scared when my boys were having hard hard poops.(i mean hard, like unsquishable) i was going to rush them to the vet but i figured it was a food thing (since all of them had it)and my vet and i dont agree with that already.:rolleyes: ok well thanks for the reassurance..... i can breathe now :D

technodoll
December 30th, 2006, 05:10 PM
yes, breathe! LOL

if ever one of the kids does become a bit constipated, you can also add some fiber but no calories by mixing in some rinsed canned green beans to the meals... can't hurt to try! in the meantime do enjoy the small hard walnuts, it's better than picking up cowpies eh? :D

OntarioGreys
December 30th, 2006, 05:10 PM
It does make clean up a lot nicer even with this wet mucky weather :thumbs up

~michelle~
December 30th, 2006, 05:12 PM
thanks guys and yes clean up is now mucho easier :D

Scott_B
December 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I always keep a can of pumpkin on hand just in case. Works both ways pumpkin does, great for runny poo too! :thumbs up

~michelle~
December 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM
wow pumpkin is like a miracle fruit (is it a fruit?, gord? veggie?)

Prin
December 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
Yep. Evo is particularly low in fiber... Definitely have to keep an eye out for constipation. So far, mine have been ok with it... :o

red_n_black
December 31st, 2006, 03:13 PM
My cats are all on Evo and their poops are hard. I dont think thats really a bad thing as long as there is no blood and its not hurting them. The plus side of hard poops means their anal glands dont become a problem :thumbs up

And it's easier to pick up... LOL :D
Layla x