Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clear cutting commencing in my front yard

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 01:55 PM
A pile of loggers just arrived here, apparently the people who own the land across the road have sold their trees.:mad: Great... nothing but a big mess coming up now. These loggers inparticular leave the biggest mess, they clear cut everything and leave the rest all trampled and there to rot.:frustrated:
That guy comes here every year and gives me his card to cut here... I dont pass it on the landloard... Poor animals:sad: loosing their homes.:sad:

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM
How big an area is it? What kind of trees? Around here they're not allowed to clear cut more than a 40 acre plot. And although it looks horrendous for a while, in 2-3 years there will be so much wildlife using it that you'll have hours of viewing pleasure! Especially if there's aspen in it. I used to hate it when they logged, but the progression of animals that take advantage of the secession as the plot grows up again is amazing. :thumbs up

So maybe it won't be so bad. :grouphug: I worry about the animals losing their homes, too--but they always seem to find something else (like my garage! :eek: ) The logging I hate is when a landowner comes in and clears out the trees so they can build. Now that's real loss of habitat...and when it's a palatial "weekend place"...well, that really gripes me... :frustrated: (That and golf courses sorry golfers...just my opinion...don't throw any golf clubs at me, please :D )

I know that's kind of hypocritical cuz I live out here, too--but I'd never build new. There are enough houses out here IMO. Probably selfish of me :shrug:

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Its white pine they're cutting. Im not sure how much is going to be cut , but it saddens me none the less. I made it very clear shortly after my post to the loggers that I do not want any machienery or trucks turning in my drive way... Call me rude... I dont care... I dont support clear cutting and the messes this particular company leaves behind... some logging companies are quite clean about it all, but these guys have never cleaned up ( round here anyway):sad:

Frenchy
December 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
We should all go to your place and tie ourselves to the trees. :mad:

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Its white pine they're cutting. Im not sure how much is going to be cut , but it saddens me none the less. I made it very clear shortly after my post to the loggers that I do not want any machienery or trucks turning in my drive way... Call me rude... I dont care... I dont support clear cutting and the messes this particular company leaves behind... some logging companies are quite clean about it all, but these guys have never cleaned up ( round here anyway):sad:

Even besides the mess, those trucks rut everything up--if you have a gravel drive, you definitely shouldn't have to put up with them turning in your drive! And even with a cement drive, the machinery can be heavy enough to damage it. I don't think that was rude at all.

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Aww. :grouphug: There's a big pine forest near the house I grew up in that just got sold for condos. Makes me so sad. Poor trees. They don't do anything but stand there doing good things.:sad:

erykah1310
December 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
We should all go to your place and tie ourselves to the trees. :mad:

Me and Guy were thinking of making 4 signs to *gently* place on the 4 trees that are between the house and the road that say... " we are not for sale" but cutesy them up by making it look like the trees are holding little picket signs:o The trees here are safe, but across the road:sad: different story.:sad:

rainbow
December 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Awww....sorry to hear about the trees. :grouphug:

You could put a couple of posts with a chain across at the end of your driveway so they can't use it. A little of an inconvenience for you to have to get out of your vehichle every time you leave/come home but would make a point. ;)