Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drontal Plus (when do the symptoms stop?)

Spirit
December 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Before I overreact and give my vet more money (only to be told to wait another day or two anyway), does anyone know how long after the first dose of Drontal Plus the diarrhea will subside? I know it should clear up within 24 hours, but it's been over 36 now and I'm starting to wonder if something else is causing it.

The diarrhea's been intermittant for a few months now (maybe once a month lasting for a few days to a week). The first stool sample (sept/oct, I believe) came back negative, but this last one (taken 2 days ago) came back positive for roundworms.

What a crappy situation this has become (no pun intended), but it serves me right for slacking on his preventative medicine over the winter (thanks to horrible weather, a sports injury, and bad advice).

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BMDLuver
December 30th, 2006, 05:48 AM
With the diarehea being intermittent for a week at a time over a few months, I would be asking for a giardia specific fecal test. I've not found drontal to give diarehea when using it with pups as it's a fairly mild wormer for that reason. I think I'd be asking for some more tests as sounds like there's something else going on as well? or your pup has a very sensitive gastro system? I'd ask the vet how he/she feels about a course of Metranidazole in case there is a intestinal bacteria as the underlying cause of the sporadic diarehea? It's sometimes difficult to get a confirmed diagnosis on.

Inisfad
December 30th, 2006, 10:11 AM
It would seem that whatever is causing your pup's diarrhea is something pre-existing to his dose of Drontal Plus, as you advise that he has intermittently had diarrhea for some time. So even thought he was positive for worms recently, you still need to find out what was causing his diarrhea when his stool sample came back negative. I think you also need to make sure that he does not dehydrate during these bouts and has access to plenty of water. Usually with pets, as with people, its ok to have a bout or two of diarrhea to allow your body to expel whatever is upsetting it, but after that, it's wise to try to control it (maybe a little Kaopectate, etc.) so that electrolyte balance, etc. remains normal. I don't think it's a good idea to allow your pup to continuously have diarrhea over a 36 hour period, without trying to alleviate it. In any event, I would certainly keep consulting your vet!

Spirit
December 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you for your replies.

Since a large part of my job is working with sick and/or rescue animals, I do have a somewhat extensive knowledge in diseases and their treatment. My reasons for asking about Drontal Plus is because I have never used this particular medicine before (though I know it's been used through my work in kittens and puppies under 4 weeks of age), and not all dogs will react the same to the same medicine.

The diarrhea is "pudding", twice a day (once in the morning, once at night - his normal poop schedule), and there is no urgency to go whatsoever. His appetite is healthy, as are his energy levels. And even though he was on sentinel (NOT my choice, btw. I planned to switch after the last pill), a thorough fecal exam was still neccessary.

As for worms, sometimes if the infestation is mild enough, the results will come back negative, as it's usually only the eggs that will be seen in the stool. If you suspect your dog has worms, and you KNOW that your dog has been exposed to them (or any parasite, for that matter), ALWAYS do a follow up test if the first came back negative.

In my case, the diarrhea quickly stopped (thanks pumpkin!) after the first test so I didn't retest, even though I knew better. I assumed it was caused by the Christmas dinner his "grandparents" gave him (*CURSES!*). I know exactly where, when, how, and from which dog he got them - which is likely why that first test came back negative... I tested too soon, and waited too long to retest.

So now that I've rambled on (and getting back to my original question), has anyone used Drontal Plus, but the diarrhea didn't clear up after 24-48 hours? Is this med not supposed to stop the diarrhea as well as kill whatever's causing it?

OntarioGreys
December 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
THat is the normal dewormer my vet prescribes also when I was fostering greyhounds this is what they were given when they arrived from the track but I have never had the big D with any of the dogs

Spirit
December 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I forget the stats (if you want to look it up), but it was something like 150 dogs who were given a PROPER dosage of Drontal Plus, none of them developed diarrhea as a side effect. Though, a percentage did, at higher levels.

OntarioGreys
December 30th, 2006, 07:35 PM
My suggestion would be to do a 24 hour fast, water only to give his bowels a chance to settle down and relax and re introduce the food slowly in very tiny meals throughout the day

Spirit
December 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
My suggestion would be to do a 24 hour fast, water only to give his bowels a chance to settle down and relax and re introduce the food slowly in very tiny meals throughout the day

Way ahead of you. ;)

He was given the meds wed night, his usual thursday morning breakfast and a small dinner around 7. His friday morning poop was still "ploppy", so I omitted breakfast and gave him only half of his dinner friday night (24 hours since his last meal). As of late last night (and a big breakfast later), he's been diarrhea free.

I actually just got off the phone with his breeder and she told me that his mother is the same way. If she needs to be treated for whatever, what usually takes a day, will take twice that long (or longer) before it starts to work. When my boy was neutered, he had the runs for 12 days, as a side effect from the anesthetic (even with treatment), and yet his stomach is a rock (never throws up, new foods don't upset his stomach or GI tract, etc).

It's funny because this med has been used countless times at my work, but I guess because I'm never the one who administers it (and my dog's never had to take it), that my mind went into slight panic mode when the symptom wasn't clearing up when it was supposed to.

Puppies, eh? Sheesh! lol

Edit: This is my Ben (well, it's Bena, but then people think he's a she. lol)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/Spiriit/Kulalani/IMG_2539.jpg

OntarioGreys
December 30th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Oh he is darling and what nice coat

Golden Girls
December 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Ben is very handsome. Glad to hear the "crappy" situation is all cleared up :D