Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Bonding animals

roxieandsabrina
December 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Hi!

I am not sure what to do. We have a dog, got a cat a few weeks ago and adopted another cat yesterday. The first cat is doing awesome! She doesn't really play with the dog but they try. Sabrina is 4 months old and Roxie(dog) is 20 months. The cat we adopted is Candy and she is a year old. She was spayed yesterday so I am sure that is part of her problem and coming to a new home. We put her in the bathroom with all the good stuff but because of the size of our house we can only have the litter box and food in one place so she has to share the bathroom with Sabrina for the business end. Now she hisses and growls like crazy at both the dog and Sabrina. Is this because she is new to the house and scared, and because she had surgery. I fell inlove with her the minute I saw her. She is very loving and has already scoped the house out. She was already out in the living room last night and slept on our bed most of the night. Seems like Sabrina and Roxie can't come near her. I feel bad for the other 2 and hope this is just part of an adjustment stage. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Just for info we adopted both Sabrina and Candy at our local Humane Society. We are crossing our fingers that they will all grow to be great friends. I asked them if Sabrina and Candy would be ok due to there ages and the fact they are both new to the house.

~michelle~
December 29th, 2006, 01:39 PM
give them time they wil get used to eachother, they may never be best of frriends but they will learn to live harmoniously with one another

Winston
December 29th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This may sound crazy but everyone smells different...Especially if one was just fixed. Take some baby powder in your hands and rub it on each one of the cats....Once they smell the same they should become comfortable with one another! It worked for my 2 and they are brother and sister!

Good Luck....:fingerscr

roxieandsabrina
December 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Thank you both for posting. I got the baby powder and it seems to be helping a tiny bit, but I figure if I let them smell each other more around the house that it will help also.

brandynva
December 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
One thing that I had heard was to swap their sleeping blankets. Or put a blanket with each other's smell under their food dishes. Good luck! It does take time. It took my dog's a month just to sniff each other without someone getting offended.