Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old wieners

chico2
December 29th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I needed a package of wieners for a hash-recipe,went to the local No Frills store,Red Hots on sale for $2.97,,all's well we eat,good stuff!!
There were a few left in the package,I decided to freeze them.
Just by chance I checked the"best before date",would you believe,it said March 2004,those wieners were 3 YEARS old:eek:
I called the store,told them I kept the receipt and wrapper just in case sombody got sick!!! Can you believe that:eek: :eek:

brandynva
December 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM
oh that's funny! It goes to show how packed full of preservatives those things are. At least you got a good deal on them! :thumbs up

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
OH my chico :eek: thats freaky stuff.... gotta really pay attention huh:frustrated: I baught a milk to go from a convienience store when i was working out of town and it had expired 8 months prior..:eek: I was on my way home at the time when i noticed so i couldnt do anything about it.. hope no one else got an old one like i did. ( I didnt drink it)

Kristin7
December 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
OMG, gross! I hate hot dogs anyway, and when i hear stories like this I know why.

:yuck:

Frenchy
December 29th, 2006, 12:41 PM
:eek: 2004 ! :sick: You should tell the store you and your whole family got sick because of it. You may get freebees :D like beer.....:crazy:

glasslass
December 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Just be sure to check the expiration date before accepting the beer! Hold out for Ritz Crackers & a can of Cheeze-Whiz and you're all set for New Year's Eve!:crazy:

Prin
December 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM
omg that's so gross! Maybe it was a typo? :o

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Weiners are gross thats for sure... i used to tolerate them until a "wonderful" comedian made a startling comparison with the end of a weiner and well the "not nice end" of a cat...:eek: :yuck: After that... yup they look alike and i cant do it for the life of me ( eat a weiner that is)

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
:D I thought this was going to be a post about dachshunds...LOL

Ooops! My mistake :o Kinda sorry I peeked :yuck: Especially when we got to the really old milk!

:sick: :D

jesse's mommy
December 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'm not even going to say what I thought this thread was about. :eek:

(Backing out slowly now....)

meb999
December 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'm not even going to say what I thought this thread was about. :eek:

(Backing out slowly now....)

Bow chika chika Bow Bow

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Bow chika chika Bow Bow

LMAO!!!!!!:D

jesse's mommy
December 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Bow chika chika Bow Bow

Hee, hee... :evil:

glasslass
December 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Chico? CHICO?? Are you there? We need to know you're still ok! Chico? ChiCOOOOOO!

joeysmama
December 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'm not even going to say what I thought this thread was about.

My husband? :o

erykah1310
December 29th, 2006, 10:05 PM
:eek: Joeysmama:eek:

joeysmama
December 29th, 2006, 10:30 PM
:eek: Joeysmama:eek:

Sorry :o

I don't know what came over me.:evil:

technodoll
December 30th, 2006, 12:46 AM
omg! laaaadies! :eek: :D

chico are you telling me you ATE some of those prehistoric wieners? and they weren't green and squiriming when you took them out of the pack? :eek: if you ate some did you induce vomiting after reading the expiry date, just to be sure in case it wasn't a typo?

i'm worried now! gonna have bad dreams about 3 year-old green dachunds sprouting cat butts out of their mouths :frustrated:

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Chico? CHICO?? Are you there? We need to know you're still ok! Chico? ChiCOOOOOO!

:eek: :fingerscr for Chico2

erykah1310
December 30th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I hope shes alright.....:pray: she kinda disappeared after posting this.:eek:

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 12:55 AM

lol :D :) :o :( :eek:

Chico? Are you ok? :fingerscr

joeysmama
December 30th, 2006, 12:59 AM
What did we call it in college when someone had a few too many and ended up hunched over the bowl in the bathroom? Worshipping the porcelain god?

I know that's what I want to do after reading about green dachsunds and cat butts. :yuck: ;)

Hope Chico is fine ! :fingerscr

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
What if she's not sick and is just really angry with all of us? :sad:

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 01:15 AM
What if she's not sick and is just really angry with all of us? :sad:

But Chico2 doesn't get angry, ever.

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 01:16 AM
But Chico2 doesn't get angry, ever.

But maybe after this post she will ; I tought it was a thread about Paul Newman :p

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Tsk, tsk. No. It's called "old wieners" not "old hotties". :) ;)

chico2
December 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM
You girls are all a bunch of I don't know whathttp://bestsmileys.com/eating2/2.gifamd you are all welcome to my house for a wienerfest:evil:
We got some unwelcome company yesterday,tearing me away from Pets.,I offered them some wieners but they declined..
So far so good and no,it was not a typo:eek: apparently,the store got them from Schneiders resently(depends what they mean with resently,,hmmm,3yrs ago)probably from the very bottom of a freezer:eek:

badger
December 30th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Pizza eaters?
Chico, there are so many preservatives in those hot dogs, I think the risk was small. But I would throw a blue fit with the store and report them to Agriculture Canada. Might be worth a few coupons or even a free whirl through the meat section (where you will not be buying weiners).
We are consuming so many preservatives that the human body now decomposes at a much slower rate than even fifty years ago.
Some US states are getting ready to ban the chemicals traditionally used for embalming, to protect the water table. Maybe we should hang dead people in trees like the Kwa'kutl Indians on the West Coast. Sky burials.
This thread did begin with dead (mighty dead) meat so nobody better accuse me of going off-topic.

chico2
December 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Pizza-eaters???Lets pretend they are Hot-dogs:D :D
Badger,I will see what I will do,the store-owner certainly was nervous though,they removed ALL the wieners..I still have the wrapper and reciept.
I probably will do nothing more,hopefully I put enough scare into the owner.
I also once bought a package of 4 SKOR-bars from the same store and they were 2 years old:eek:
It is not my regular store,needless to say it never will be.:evil:
I buy ALL our meat from Costco,but hot-dogs is not something usually on my shopping-list.

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM
It certainly makes you wonder about expiration dates. I think it's a conspiracy. The products now are so full of preservatives they should last longer. (not talking about milk,meat and stuff like that) But the expiration dates kept getting earlier. Like for chips, you buy chips in November and it says it expires in December! I mean come on, chips didn't use to have any dates on them and were good for a couple of months. :shrug: Conspiracy for you to throw stuff in the garbage (while still good) and buy some more! :frustrated:

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Pizza eaters?

As long as it's not pizza face ! :D

erykah1310
December 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
It certainly makes you wonder about expiration dates. I think it's a conspiracy. The products now are so full of preservatives they should last longer. (not talking about milk,meat and stuff like that) But the expiration dates kept getting earlier. Like for chips, you buy chips in November and it says it expires in December! I mean come on, chips didn't use to have any dates on them and were good for a couple of months. :shrug: Conspiracy for you to throw stuff in the garbage (while still good) and buy some more! :frustrated:

Lol...:D Frenchy AKA Dale Gribble ( King of the Hill)

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 12:12 PM
We are consuming so many preservatives that the human body now decomposes at a much slower rate than even fifty years ago.omg that is the creepiest.... I used to want to head out in one piece, in case the Egyptians were right, but now, I'm thinking donation and cremation. If the Egyptians were right, then cremation means I ain't ever comin' back.:D Sayonara! hehe

:offtopic: Back to weiners.:D

wdawson
December 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
if you can find a 3yr old box of kraft dinner then your set for news years day dinner...:thumbs up

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Lol...:D Frenchy AKA Dale Gribble ( King of the Hill)

:offtopic: I was thinking more along the line of Mulder (x-files) :D

glasslass
December 30th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I think pepperoni does qualify as a type of "wiener". Actually, I have to admit I love wieners! I even took a class in sausage making. The casings are a bit gross though. I like sausage patty-style; much easier.

rainbow
December 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Badger,I will see what I will do,the store-owner certainly was nervous though,they removed ALL the wieners..I still have the wrapper and reciept.
I probably will do nothing more,hopefully I put enough scare into the owner.
I also once bought a package of 4 SKOR-bars from the same store and they were 2 years old:eek:
It is not my regular store,needless to say it never will be.:evil:
I buy ALL our meat from Costco,but hot-dogs is not something usually on my shopping-list.

Not me. I would be making headlines out of this as the public needs to know....especially the ones that shop there. :eek:

And, Schneiders needs to be held accountable too. :eek:

technodoll
December 30th, 2006, 07:33 PM
i agree! Product expiration dates are there for a reason! :frustrated:

Kristin7
December 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Yuck, yuck, yuck. Now, every time I look at my cat's business end, I see hot dogs! long expired! Ok, I like sausages, but not hot dogs. Had a puking incident as a young child that saved me from liking them, ever. Call the press! Never let them sell outdated wieners again! ick. :yuck:

hazelrunpack
December 30th, 2006, 10:03 PM
We are consuming so many preservatives that the human body now decomposes at a much slower rate than even fifty years ago.

LOL badger! I wanna see (or maybe not :eek: ) the science behind that! :p I wonder how they can tell since most people are either embalmed or cremated?

:eek: But now I'm gonna have nightmares about fields of bodies laid out and checked daily to see how fast they're rotting! no...I'm not gonna volunteer! :D

Glad to hear that you survived your ancient hotdogs, chico! If what badger says is true, you'll really be decaying slowly when ya go! :thumbs up Yeah! Immortality!

cpietra16
December 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Maybe they were meant to be army rations:D My husband was a ranger in BC and I remember him bringing home some army food and the bread was dated "expires 2010"...and that was no type 0...:yuck:

erykah1310
December 31st, 2006, 12:33 AM
2010!!!:eek: how much would a loaf run you with that experation date on it????

technodoll
December 31st, 2006, 12:54 AM
2010!!! how much would a loaf run you with that experation date on it????

i'm guessing about 3 pounds of mold? :confused:

chico2
December 31st, 2006, 08:11 AM
Rainbow,I know I should probably do something,but right now I just don't have the energy,I think the owner is thanking his lucky star it was me and not some energetic young person who discovered the date...
Hubby,me and one of our sons had no ill effects,but I will keep the rapper,just on case...
I probably will write Scneiders though,hopefully they will not send me a box of wieners:yuck:

badger
December 31st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Whoops, I can't find the science on the effect of additives on decomposition, except a Bible site, which by the looks of it I think can be excluded. So never mind. The sky burials, however, were real.
I like this idea. My old body for a scrap of protected land:
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/08/25/green-burials.html

Prin
December 31st, 2006, 12:59 PM
In 1999 (I think?), my grandmother moved into an apartment. While she was emptying her fridge, she found cheese from 1982. :eek: Not only that, but somehow, with all the family carefully helping her move, two lobsters got "lost".:D

The dep near us doesn't care about expiry dates. They had some expired chocolate, so I brought them all to the cash and said, "Hey, these are expired". The guy looked concerned, but a week later, they were all back on the shelves.:rolleyes:

coppperbelle
December 31st, 2006, 11:36 PM
I hope you didn't get sick with those old weiners. If it were me I would be calling the health department or something to complain. That is really unacceptable.
A few years ago a large chain grocery store opened near us. A few times we found things that had expired the week before still on the shelf. We would tell the clerk or manager, they would apologize but the same thing would happen the next time we shopped there. After a few times of complaining it was obvious they werent' going to change the way they did things so we would walk around pick up stuff and say out loud so that the clerks/managers and other customers could hear that stuff had expired. That sent the manager scurrying to take everything that had expired off the shelf. One day I sent my husband there to pick up some rolls for the next days lunch. As he went through the packages looking for one that did not expire that day a clerk approached him and gave him hell for messing things up. He explained that he was looking for a package that had not expired. She told him that they had not expired and were in fact dated that very day. This was 8:00 at night by the way and my husband told her that yes that was true but he planned on eating them at lunch tomorrow and they would be expired by then. We no longer shop there.
I think that food stores have a moral responsibility to ensure that the food they sell is safe. Something that expired 3 years earlier is totally unacceptable and they should be inspected the health department. Think about if an old person, young child or someone who is seriously ill with a weakened immune system unknowingly eats something that has expired. It could make them very ill or worse yet kills them. Years ago there was a grocery store in the U.S. that was taking meat that had expired, re-packaging it and selling it. They got in a lot of trouble.

rainbow
January 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Copperbelle, I agree with you 110%. :thumbs up