Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

seeking new vet

wdawson
December 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
i'm seeking a new vet in the hamilton and surrounding area.....lets say a 25km radius.......

my vet sucks......i noticed a flea on george(due to nibbling his butt)....then spent the afternoon checking beathoven and the three cats...two cats have them also:sad: .......so i call the vet to get the advantage flea product....the cats and george have had before but not beathoven....the last time we needed it was two years ago and they gave me the right solutions for their weights over the counter.....they have all the health records from their yearly visits.........cats in oct.......dogs in nov.......now there policy is a health checkup before any meds,even flea control products......well the advantage is $75.00 for george,$85.00 for beathoven and $85.00 for the cats(since they are indoor cats we can split the advantage between them...instead of a six month supply it would be two months for the cats(worked the last time) but now the vet wants a consult fee per animal....he is giving me a multiple pet discount....$40.00 each as opposed to $65.00.......:evil: almost $500.00 for flea control:eek:

Frenchy
December 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
OMG what a scam ! Fleas are fleas, no need to see a vet. I bought some Advantage treatment 2 years ago and they never asked me to see the dogs ! Too bad you can't wait for the treatment, you could have bought them online. Like I did for Bailey's heatworm meds.Lot cheaper too. Hope you find another vet near your place.

wdawson
December 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
looks like this time i'm gonna have too bite the bullet........the can't be gettin eatin:eek:

Tommysmom
December 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Is Burlington too far? I'm not sure where in Hamilton you are, but I know a few really good vets here in Burlington, let me know if you want some names.:)

Esaunders
December 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM
If you only need the Advantage, why not order it online? No need for a prescription....

This site is even canadian.
http://www.canadapharmacy.com/pets/index.cfm?fuseaction=product_detail&producturlname=Advantage&productid=2560

we3beagles
December 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
My vet did that too, among other things, so we found a new vet right away. That is a dispicable money grab.:mad:

AliSam
December 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM
That's interesting. When Sam got fleas I just called up my vet & asked them what to recommend. They recommended the Advantage to me and I went in & picked it up after work. No vet visit, no fee. You're right, time to find a new vet. Unfortunately I can't help you. I live too far from Hamilton.

badger
December 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Instead of just leaving and having their files transferred, tell the vet why, it might give him food for thought.

wdawson
December 29th, 2006, 11:40 PM
well i went in to the vets today....told the assistant(vet doing surgery at the time)my thoughts about these new fees,and my seeking new health care for my pets and i also asked her to look at the records for my pets for the 9-10 years i have been going there....then i left.........2 hours later i get a call on my cell from the vet....no fees and my advantage is ready for pick up....i check my answering machine at home and there are 3 messages from his office on there,telling me pretty much the same thing.....still cost me the $250 though.....oh well at least we can stop the little biters:evil:

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Good for you ! Don't you hate it when you have to do this ? Some people might have said ok, I will bring you ALL my animals for a check up!

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM
That's interesting. When Sam got fleas I just called up my vet & asked them what to recommend. They recommended the Advantage to me and I went in & picked it up after work. No vet visit, no fee. You're right, time to find a new vet. Unfortunately I can't help you. I live too far from Hamilton.

I've never had fleas, but that's what I do for the heartgard and Jemma's estrogen pills... No fees...:o

Frenchy
December 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I've never had fleas,

Me neither Prin but my dogs did. :rolleyes:

Prin
December 30th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Me neither Prin but my dogs did. :rolleyes:

Ha. Ha. :D I've never dealt with a flea problem. Better? :D

AliSam
December 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I normally don't have a flea problem (correction, Josie & Sam have never had a flea problem :D) but when my ex-roommate friend brought her infected JRTs into the house that is when it started. Thank goodness they're gone. No more JRTs, no more fleas.