-->

I wanna blue dog: pitiful

badger
December 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/business/28dogs.html

Inisfad
December 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Is that a sad dog or a color?
Didn't hit the link yet, but you can always get a white dog, and then put that blue rinse in it that older women use. No, wait, that makes their hair purple....

Inisfad
December 28th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Just hit the link, and, indeed, it is a sad dog. And kind of disgusting that people are so weird to want their pets as accessories, rather than living companions. I sometimes watch things like the Crufts of AKA dog shows, and just don't get the point of what breeders are doing, other than genetically forcing traits that make dogs miserable and often unhealthy. I'm proud to say that most of my pets have been strays, dogs/cats from the pound, etc. They make the best pets and seem never to forget that you gave them a home....

brandynva
December 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
That is so sad to set up an animal for failure and a life, however short, of pain like that. :sad:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
December 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Gross. I don't get how people insist on breeding way out of standard dogs.

OntarioGreys
December 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM
It is sad especially when dogs are purposely bred to be off standard to be unique in colour or size, and it is not just Japan or just puppies, where the prize mentality exists when it comes to obtaining dogs.

People want the rare and unusual, in greyhound adoption they have to deal with this prize mentality as well. The rarities in greyhounds are blues(grey blue colour), all whites with no patches of colour, chocolates and tiny females under 55 lbs people jump to adopt them without even asking about personality or will they be good with their cats, or children, I know one agency had a waiting list of 100 applications just for a blue greyhound alone so if one came in they would have first dibs, they were interested in any other greyhound onsite or even meeting them, the agency saved the applications so as to know who not to adopt to. Most agency will have pictures of the dogs available but won't allow applicants to just pick whatever, they will go over the application sent in, if you specify it was to be a certain dog, they will want to know why, or they may tell the applicant the dog is not suitable for their home that they have others that are a better fit to test the person to see if they are looking for the "Prize" or a companion. Sad when you see the poeple that do land their "prize" and later realize it was a bad match for them and they return them or they sport them around bragging but meanwhile their coats look like crap due to poor diet or their nails are so long they can barely walk