Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas Puppys all over

erykah1310
December 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Went for a ride today to do some important things in town today, and i made a little stop up at Petsmart. It was PACKED with all these people with little bitty cute puppys:sad: all christmas gifts i guess. I hope these people were serious about what they got into:pray:

On another note, is it "unethical" if you will for a rescue to be conducting adoptions right now???? Cause well, lets just say i had Bailey with me today and someone filled out an application for him:( ( not a great candidate IMO)

springermom0406
December 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ive noticed the craigslist postings going from 2-3 pet listings per day to about 7-8. A few being puppies. ALREADY!!!

If I were running a rescue I personally wouldn't adopt at Christmas time.

Prin
December 27th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I think that the right person adopting a dog over the holidays shouldn't be discounted just because it's the holidays... A lot of people would feel it's an ideal time because they're going to be on vacation and will have more time with the dog for the settling in part...
But yeah, it's good to be careful.

And pet stores are always sad.:sad:

joeysmama
December 27th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Our house is one of those places where Christmas would actually be a great week to bring in a new doggie. It's a quiet cozy week for us without the usual work and activities and everyone is home.

But I'd say that overall you'd have to be careful. I do think that puppies are the bigger danger though. People thinkg they look cute under the tree with a bow. I think adopting an older dog you'd get a different type of person you know?

chocolatecoffee
December 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Argh, why will people never understand? It happens every year, and every year these poor dogs have to suffer :(.

I know of one rescue who won't do any adoption at all in December but I agree with Prin in that rescues shouldn't stop adoptions altogether, but it's always good to be careful. We adopted Cannelle just one week before Christmas last year and it would have been a shame if we couldn't since everyone was home and got to spend tons of extra time spoiling her. Plus, she had to be here since we had already put her order into Santa :D.

Colubridz
December 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I know it's horrible my friend and I were making posters with a 6 mo puppy on it in a shelter with the words: Pets are for life, not just Christmas on it and were going to hand them out at Pj's and stick them all over the glass cages where the puppies, we missed out this year as she went to montreal for the holidays bit next year I plan on writing and calling local newstations a month before christmas with statistics and stories from puppy's dumped later on so they can hopefully run stories about why pets don't make good gifts ( for 90% of people) and start peacful protests out of the PJ's closest to us for selling puppies during the holiday's (as it's the only chain store left around us).

Kayla

Prin
December 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah, they make bumper stickers with "Pets are for life, not just for Christmas" on them.:cloud9:

we3beagles
December 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I don't think rescues should cease adopting just because it is Christmas, but perhaps encourage families to think about the chaos and confusion during that time and think about holding off till after the holidays. If families have a quiet Christmas I think a new dog or pup romping around the house is magic. Our rescue cannot do adoptions after the 18th of December till the middle of January anyways because of flight embargo's from the airlines, but I'm not necessarily against it as long as the family is responsible about it.

joeysmama
December 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
When we adopted Joey the rescue turned down the family just before us. They had kids with them, younger than ours but not little. Still Joey really needed a mostly adult household. (I shudder to think what would have happened to him if they had been allowed to take him. Their older boy had a very rough and calloused way about him when he was with the dogs. As if they were there for his amusement, and not in a good way you know? And I remember them leaving withut adopting.)

It wasn't Christmas, but still it's a good example of responsible adoption practices. I would hope that rescues are extra careful about educating people close to the holidays.

Frenchy
December 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I don't think rescues should cease adopting just because it is Christmas, but perhaps encourage families to think about the chaos and confusion during that time and think about holding off till after the holidays. If families have a quiet Christmas I think a new dog or pup romping around the house is magic.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I also agree with that. It just totally depends on the family involved.

erykah1310
December 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I just really hope all those people i saw yesterday with these adorable little puppies ( too small to walk around on their own, but prolly shouldnt have been in a petstore yet anyways , no needles:eek: ) I just hate to think that some of them will end up in rescue:sad:

OntarioGreys
December 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I had adopted Sunny between Christmas and New Years, it was an ideal time as it provided almost 2 weeks for me to get him settled in a watch the interactions between him and Nikki, get him housetrained, I was able to do shorter leaves from the house to determine how he would do when I returned to work at the end of my holidays, so I would know whether he would need to be crated while I was away or whether dogs would need to be seperated or not, it proved to be the perfect time for me and by the end of my holidays I knew he would be fine left uncrated together with Nikki

One of my fosters had been adopted out during the Christmas holiday, they had asked if they could pick him up the day after boxing day, so they could focus time on him while they were off from work, their busy days of entertaining were done, he passed away from cancer the following November, they located with some help his brother and sister who had retired from racing and went to the US to bring them home just before Christmas for them it was their christmas present and a tribute to a dog they loved very much, I know other families that adopt rescues for christmas, they already have a dog they know what they are getting into to them it is giving a dog a home for christmas, some people do plan their christmas around the coming of a new dog. So an adoption during Christmas holiday should be considered with a discussion about whether they will be doing a lot of entertaining during the holidays if so then suggesting they wait till later should be recommended, dog experience should also be a factor.

joeysmama
December 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM
We don't do a lot of entertaining or traveling during Christmas. In fact, the year that Joey had his eye surgery we scheduled it for the 23rd of December because we knew that the house woudn't be empty at any time during his recovery and he'd have lot's of peace and quiet and attention.

If my husband ever wants to be the best gift giver ever he can put a doggie under that tree. I think when young children are involved though you have to wonder if the parents aren't doing it to make the child happy on Christmas morning without really thinking about the commitment to the pet. So I totally understand what Erykah is saying when she wonders how many of those sweet puppies are going to wind up in rescue.:sad:

Kristin7
December 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah, anyone who didn't get that puppy for xmas can wait a month or two and go get a former xmas puppy at the shelter.

That said, not everyone has a super busy and exciting holiday season (like me, i'm single w/o kids) and this is actually probably a good time to bring home a new pet. My house is quiet and boring right now.

Angie J
December 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think there will always be 2 types of adopters/pet buyers: Those who research and time the adoption..... and those who buy from the heart.

It's up to the Rescuers and Shelters to be savey, as to which person is which. In my dealings with Rescues/ Shelters, they seem to feel out the right people pretty well.

Pet shop owners.... well.... enough said. They rely on the buys from the heart. It's hard for ME not to take them home!!! And I know better.

Angie J

wdawson
December 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
hamilton\burlington spca changed there policy this year to allow adoptions in dec....they quoted an american study they say it is a success...:rolleyes:

fosterpat
January 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
I adopted out 2 of my foster puppies during this holiday period. Both families had no young children and both also lost their older dogs a few months before Christmas. Although they still might be Christmas gifts to the whole family. They were planned gifts and very much accepted by the entire family. But everyone is right, rescues do try to be very carefull that these dogs are not adopted out to cater to a childs Christmas wish of a puppy under a xmas tree. We also try and find out what their holiday celebration is like and will hold puppies/dog until the quieter period for them i.e after xmas or New Year.

~michelle~
January 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
i think adoptions are ok at christmas timebut i agree with everyone that it should be looked at carefully.
its a balncing act because if rescues dont adopt out for a month thats a month worth of dogs they cant take in too.
alot of rescues can be fairly particular about who they adopt to so i think that weens out those who are just looking for a cute puppy alot of the time anyways the real problem is the pet shops where if you have the $$ you get the pup. :sad: its the BYB pet shops and puppy mills that give their dogs and cats to the first guy to put the money in their face

Saber
January 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
I got my puppy at the end of nov. So it was a lil early but he was my xmas gift.
And he is here to stay forever. I've been asking for a dog for 7 years!
and I really push the subject and bug my parents about it around xmas and my birthday because i know that i'd have a better chance of getting one on one of those holidays and this year they finally gave in! :D

Now my parents wish they would of gotten me a dog sooner.
because they see all the good that has come out of me having Saber.

So i think it definitely depends on the family involved.

but sadly there will always be pets that get taken home for xmas gifts and then end up back at a shelter... or worse just left on the side of the road or just don't get taken care of the way they should.

OntarioGreys
January 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
I just really hope all those people i saw yesterday with these adorable little puppies ( too small to walk around on their own, but prolly shouldnt have been in a petstore yet anyways , no needles ) I just hate to think that some of them will end up in rescue

I was just rereading and realized this was Petsmart, they don't sell puppies, the pups would be humane society dogs and would not be present at the store without having shots at least 2 weeks prior because of other animals being in the store and pet owners would may handle them that might have sick animals at home, it is simply too dangerous/risky to do otherwise not only for the pups but if they take back any remaining pups to the shelter and there is any immune compromised dog at the shelter, if they did then they would have to go into quarantine, and there would be contracts to neuter likely a refundable fee has to paid upfront.