Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new dog owner

dlmh
December 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
hi i am a new dog owner i have been a cat owner - 20 yrs last oct- anyway i was given a 8 wk old puppy in aug - american walker coon hound cross with alasken husky. she has had her shots and has been fit this dec. my question is that i can not find a good school to take her. she goes to work with me every day and every out her own a dog so she is very exceper, only she likes to jump and can go on quite the fun run in the store if excited. i have got her to sit, stay (short periods), shake a paw, kid like that on. only i need better control. she also pulls and loves to run, not returin. any help will be great, because i love her at the store.

thank dlmh

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your little girl.

I have had huskies before and have one now and they definitely do a lot better if they've been to obedience school. I see you live in Edmonton so there must be quite a few trainers in your area. I would ask for referrals from the vets and groomers in your area. Also, ask any fellow pet owners where they have taken their dogs.

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yes ~ please post some pix of your new grrrrl ! How lucky you are to be able to bring your dog to work ~ I was able to do that for the first six months with my girls and loved it ! Rainbow is right about professional training ~ she needs to learn some manners if she is to be able to stay at work with you forever. I found that with my grrrls at work, I skipped my lunch hour and took many, many exercise breaks throughout the day with the grrrls to wear them out a bit so they weren't quite so puppy-hyper all the time. I also found that it was important that they had a quiet place just for them, where they could go and get the kind of sleep growing puppies need.