Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hey

SEKKHU
December 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Hello Everyone :thumbs up
I'm new to this site & I just had a friend ask me a question(I work in a Vet clinic, everyone comes to me for free advise)LOL :frustrated:
So here's a question for you all, I'm stumped on this one !!:confused:
A friend has a 12 yr old PitBull with 1 side of his head caving in :eek:
He's acting normal, eye sight is normal, eating, urinating & bowel movements are all well !! No sign or aggression, no tenderness, not lethargy, no lamness, This dog is perfectly NORMAL !! He still plays like a puppy, he's as normal as can be ... BUT the thing is, some people are claiming that he's been hit in the head with a blunt object & that is SOOOOO not the case, this dog is well cared for, very much loved by his owners !!!:cloud9:
If there is a VET or a fellow Tech or assistant or someone that might know if this is a common thing in the breed or just some weird signs of "Old" age, could someone PLZZ help out !!
PS. I've told then to get the dog to their own Vet, but with some people, money is an object :sad:
Any help will be greatly apprectated !!
SINCERELY:fingerscr
SEKKHU

jesse's mommy
December 27th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately a vet is the only answer here. Regardless of money, the dog needs to see a vet. There must be some way for them to either borrow the money from a relative, get credit care or some kind of payment plan through the vet. We are not vets on this forum, only pet loving people and even if we were vets, it would be unethical to diagnose anything over the internet.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM
As I'm sure you can appreciate there are some very good legal reasons not to dispense medical advice over the internet... the best advice we can give your friend is ~ as I'm sure you have told them ~ is to see a Vet ASAP. Whether the dog has a fracture or his skull is softening or, or, or ... he will still need to be treated properly after a diagnoses is made and only a Vet can do that. Best wishes to your friends & the the pittie.:fingerscr

SEKKHU
December 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I do appreciate your replys ...I was just wondering if it was a COMMON thing in the breed ...I'm sure he'll seek medical help in due time ... but I was just wondering, I'll get him into my clinic for the medical side of things !!:pray:

jesse's mommy
December 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
No it's not common in any breed. I own a pit-lab mix and it's not common. Please tell you friend to get the dog to the vet. There is no other answer.

SEKKHU
December 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
NO WORRIES !!! You know you're not making it a very friendly site to CHAT with other people .... I'm only asking if others knew if it's happened with theirs or someone they might know !!!!!
I work in a Veterinary clinic & I PLAN on getting him into my clinic ...I know all about bone cancers, & tumors associated with animals & really dont need this site any further !!
I also KNOW NOT to ask MEDICAL advice online & that's not wat I was originally asking if your REREAD my original post !!! :mad:

wdawson
December 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
as jesse said....there are no vets here......if you are a vet tech why waste time seeking internet advice when the best advice is right in front of you.....maybe you can pull some strings and get this dog some help,vouch for your friend and see about payments...just my two cents.

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I am sorry to hear about your friend's pitbull. :grouphug: I have never heard of anything like this happening to any breed and would like to wish your friend good luck with the vet's diagnosis. :fingerscr

I would also appreciate if you would let us know the outcome. Again, good luck. :fingerscr

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Ouch Sekkhu ~ easy there ! Jesse's Mommy and I are only trying to help in the best way we know how.

Please let me draw your attention to the fact that you specifically asked if there was a Vet or a Vet Tech/ Asst on line in this forum who may have seen this condition. You also implied that they would not be taking their dawg to a Vet because of money woes. So, that sounds an awful lot like looking for advice to me...

So to be clear Sekkhu...neither Jesse's Mommy nor I are out of line in stating the obvious: that we are people who love our animals and that in what appears to be a serious, potentially life threatening condition the only place to be is at a Vet. We love our animals as I'm sure you do yours and want only the best for others.

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
did i read this right,the dogs head is caving in????????? Really i must have not seen this correctly

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I've never heard of this in any breed of dog, sorry. Have you seen the dog yourself? Is it possible the head is not caving in but instead is swelling in areas? I too find this hard to imagine without some other symptoms.

OntarioGreys
December 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I actually have heard this before, some had a boxer maybe a pitbull with the same sort of problem, it was a on a greyhound forum but it was soooo long ago I can't pull up the posts, I don;t recall the details but found it odd and the owner supplied pictures as well which is why I remembered it

This might be the condition that the dog had
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/91503.htm

Edited it won't be this that the dog your referring to has as I just re-read the age of the dog but it could be Nutritional Osteopathies

Toonces
December 28th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I met a man with a gsd with what sounds like the same condition but I can't remember the name of it, it was the strangest thing I have ever seen, she was also an older doggy, she was on meds for it and responding great he said. I hope your friends dog is ok:fingerscr

SEKKHU
December 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I actually have heard this before, some had a boxer maybe a pitbull with the same sort of problem, it was a on a greyhound forum but it was soooo long ago I can't pull up the posts, I don;t recall the details but found it odd and the owner supplied pictures as well which is why I remembered it

This might be the condition that the dog had
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/91503.htm

Edited it won't be this that the dog your referring to has as I just re-read the age of the dog but it could be Nutritional Osteopathies

TYVM for your great help & wonderful advice, This dog will get all the help he needs !! :pray:

SEKKHU
December 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I met a man with a gsd with what sounds like the same condition but I can't remember the name of it, it was the strangest thing I have ever seen, she was also an older doggy, she was on meds for it and responding great he said. I hope your friends dog is ok:fingerscr

TYVM for your kind words ...As I've said, this sweet dog will get the medical attention required & he'll do just fine ! :D

badger
December 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm glad that's settled :).

dustybird
December 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Of course it could be a few different things but my grandparents doberman in her senior years had a similar problem, I say similar as again don't really know for sure what it was. For her it happend suddenly, everyone woke up one morning to one side of her head(not face) caved in and over time her eye on one side(cannot remember which) started to fall inside the socket(sort of dissapear. They rushed her to the vet and they thought that she had a stroke, which sounds weird to me( not having a stroke but that a stroke would cause that). Their dog was fine otherwise and showed no ill effects from it. She also had an autoimmune disease but has had that forever so don't know if they were related. She lived for a full year or better after it happend and was let go to doggy heaven at 12.

I would still ask the vets you work for and see what they say as my grandparents vets may have just said it was a stroke for an easy answer because of her age. I know there is a muscle waisting disease and it can be treated but don't know if it would cause that to happen; just something else to ask about. If they don't know try calling u of guelph.

Prin
December 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Can you post with an update when you find out what it is? :o

erykah1310
December 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds freaky crazy what ever it is.:eek:

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
SEKKHU, I would also like to know what it is once you get a diagnosis. Also, is it possible for you to post a picture here? :fingerscr

joeysmama
December 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM
The poor guy. I'm glad to know that he doesn't appear to be in pain or have discomfort, but still.......so worrisome. Thank you for being a caring friend and for makng sure that the dog gets the help he needs.

I hope you'll post an update--and I REALLY hope that it's good news.:fingerscr

Kristin7
December 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Yes, i'm curious too. Please let us know so we can all learn. Sounds bizarre and I hope the dog will be ok!

SEKKHU
December 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I'll definatly post the results as soon as we get him into the Dr's :highfive:

TMac
December 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Sekkhu, has an xray been taken yet? This sounds bizarre and probably not typical of any breed! Please do let us know what you find out so we can all learn...

good luck :fingerscr

chico2
December 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Actually,a long time ago we had another owner asking about the same thing,it sounded so strange,I believe we all thought the owner was a Troll,but it does happen,for what reason I don't know.
I am glad the pittie is getting medical attention,good luck:fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
December 30th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'll definatly post the results as soon as we get him into the Dr's :highfive:

Thanks SEKKHU. :thumbs up Is there any way you can post a picture of your friend's pittie so I can see what this looks like for future reference? :fingerscr