Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So strange.........

KimandAutumn
December 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Autumn is so strange, I think when she's older we may consider getting another dog for company for her. She goes to doggie daycare so she does know how to behave around other dogs.

At the moment it's just her and her kitty, Ginger at home. She has picked up many cat tendancies such as the way she "stalks" Ginger when they play tag, swatting and batting things with front paws, fluffing up what she has for hair and hopping sideways when playing, trying to climb trees (if you've ever witnessed a 70lb great dane puppy trying to climb a tree its not something you will soon forget), hops onto the BBQ just to look around the neighbourhood, and now the latest is she's started to purr, happens whenever Ginger is nearby her and purring himself; its like this low growl/groan type of noise that sounds very similar to Ginger purring and those 2 will go for hours "purring".

Has anybody ever heard of this type of behavour in a dog? :confused:

chico2
December 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I've never heard of this kind of behaviour,but it sure sounds cute,I would hesitate to break up the wonderful relationship they seem to have,your pics spoke a thousand words.:love:
I am not saying don't get another dog,but you can expect the kitty to feel totally alienated and lost out,the bond with your doggie and cat seems very strong and sweet.

cpietra16
December 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
.I have never had that kind of problem, but my cat does think she's a dog. I wouldn't really worry about it.

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Ok, maybe strange but in a nice way! I'd leave them alone. It could be tons worse, Autumn could be trying to eat the kitty!

My cat Annie seems to be more doglike, so gets along better with my dog than the other cat. I wish they all got along as well as yours are! I wouldn't spoil it by getting another dog so soon (just my opinion). If your dane is a puppy, probably best to let her grow up some first. Sometimes 'three's a crowd', too, and if you add another animal, one of them could be left out, or even worse, ganged up on.

babykool
December 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I have a cat who thinks she's a dog and a chicken who also thinks she's a dog.

Yes, the chicken actually barks at the door. She recently started immitating the local crows too and started crowing at night.

Animals are smart and want to have fun too! :)

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Declan purrs! Specially when he's in his cuddlemonster mood and I'm hitting the it-spot of the day ! I don't know if he had his own cat friend in his previous life but he's very curious about them and in a gentle way whereas with unknown doggies he's curious but very boisterous. I'd love to see the tree-climbing feats!

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think that's really cute....a great dane acting like a kitty. :love: I'd also like to see a oic of the tree climbing and a video of the purring duo too. :D

OntarioGreys
December 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Other than the purring other stuff can be normal puppy play

Prin
December 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I think climbing trees is actually a characteristic of some danes, lol. I know a couple who, when you say squirrel, they get their climb on.:D