Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our special baby

lovemybabies
December 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM
This is the first time I have ever been to a chat room and am here to help our dear dog Dallas. She is our baby. My husband found her in a dumpster not weinned (sp) no fur on her back legs and tail. He nursed her back to health. Took her to the vet and she has been our angel ever since. She is now 14, full blooded Chow and she is mostly blind, mostly deaf, and has alot of trouble moving, getting up and laying down is obviously very painful.

My husband and I know it would be best for her to be put to sleep. He nor I can bring ourselves to take her and stand in the vets office and have her put to sleep. It is too invasive. Is it legal to put your pet to sleep at home? Can you give them sleep medicine to just go to sleep?

Please know this is killing us and are not trying to be mean to her in anyway. We have decided it is not fair to her to let her be in such pain.

mummummum
December 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
When it was my last grrrl's time, I had a Vet come to my home so that Tai could die peacefully. You will have to make some calls to find a Vet who will do this as the laws and bylaws in your city/county/ state may regulate transportation. You may want to call a large animal Vet if you are unable to find a small animal Vet who does housecalls. But PLEASE do not give your dog any human medicine ~ you would hate for her last hours to be ones in which she is ill or in pain.

Prin
December 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I agree. Make sure a vet does it. You might have to do a lot of calling around, but IMO, it's worth it.

Good luck.:o :grouphug:

lovemybabies
December 26th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I never even thought about a vet comming to the house. I am so glad I posted this. I thought people would not understand that we wanted her a home. Thank you again.

mummummum
December 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM
You're most welcome :grouphug: to you and yours. Thank you for loving this grrrl so completely to want only the best for her at the end of her life.