Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scratching post..Rope or carpet??

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
That is really the only issue we are having is her scratching on our couch she will not do it on her carpet kitty condo,i am gonna order from petco a post,but which is best one with the rope stuff on it or what??????And if anyone read my post about the soldi gold food let me know after what the guy said from solid gold what do you think about the food.......thanks

tenderfoot
December 26th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Both are fine - its nice to have variety.

See if you can get some double sided tape for the arms of the couch to dicourage the cat from scrathing there.

You can also get a corrogated cardboard scratching box (made for cats) and put cat nip in it - our cats love them.

chico2
December 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Heidi,rope is actually better IMO,that way she will not be used to scratch carpeting,my cats love the rope:cat:

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
thank you,i am gonna order right now...I was thinking rope to,since she has no interest with scratching on her condo..

TeriM
December 26th, 2006, 07:48 PM
My cats love the cardboard scratchers!

PetFriendly
December 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Our cats prefer the cardboard ones to anything else... And we've tried them all, carpet, rope, angled or not. The only thing that came close, but was too bulky to fit nicely in the living room was old cedar posts (though they did smell nice).

rainbow
December 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
My cats won't use the rope ones.....only the carpeted ones. Haven't tried the cardboard ones.

LynLyn
December 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM
My cat would go ape crazy for the cardboard ones, and they're only like 2 dollars at Superstore (at least they were when i was living in vancouver)

chico2
December 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM
All cats seem to like boxes and destroying them,so cardboard scratchers are probably perfect.
Here at $19(one that has a base),I think it's expensive for something that might last 2 days,but maybe they are cheaper else where.

PetFriendly
December 27th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I think we might not all be taking about the same kind of cardboard scatcher... This is the one we use, (we also have one that lies flat) and it can last up to 3 months before it needs to be replaced.

http://www.petsmart.com (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9310&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033671&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1167235761780&itemNo=1&In=Cat&N=2033671&Ne=2)

chico2
December 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
That's exactly what I mean,$19+14%tax at my petsupply store....but I'll check out Pet Smart,thank's!

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
does that cardboard one you posted here move though when they scratch on it??it doesnt look that sturdy

LM1313
December 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM
When my boys were kittens they loved the cardboard ones. I could induce them to scratch it just by running my nails over it. You can buy the "alpine slope" kind that's at a slant or just buy the inserts that go into them and lie them flat on the floor. The slanted one is sturdy enough that my boys can still use it now that they're full grown.

TeriM
December 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I use the same ones that LM1313 and Pet Friendly use. For the sloped one I actually put a small brick in the bottom of it to keep it a bit more sturdy (one cat is 14 lbs) but it supports the cats weight no problem.

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
My cats love the cardboard ones that lay flat on the floor, even the one w/o claws. Mine is called the SmartyKat Super Scratcher. You can sprinkle catnip on them to get the cat interested. They don't move because the cat sits on it while scratching. Mine even take naps on the scratchers. I have a rope post and my cat with claws likes it, although not as much as the cheap cardboard ones. I did try the cardboard incline one and neither cat was interested. I also have a large carpet covered cat tree and that doesnt' get scratched much either.

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I know my kitten loves her carpet condo,she will hang on it sleep on it,but just will not use it to claw on,she loves the couch.......

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Let's see if this link works: http://www.worldwise.com/widbodcatscr.html This is the scratcher, but there are other brands of this same type of product if you can't find this.

Yeah, mine love their tree, to climb and sleep on, but not much for scratching. One of them sometimes scratches on the flat shelves, but that's it. The other main use is sleeping in the condo on top.

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, and forgot to mention, the scratchers above last forever. One side lasts for months, then turn the cardboard over and you have a new side for more scratching. I have 3 of these types around the house and they get used for scratching and sleeping every day.

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks i tyoed in my zip code and it says they sell them at Safeway here and Longs drugstores which is on our side of the island thank god,will go see if they have some in.

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
My cats must be the oddballs because their carpeted cat condo is in shreds. :eek: I'm going to check out those cardboard ones too....thanks. :thumbs up

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I think they all have their own preferences really. I'm sure some of them don't really care about cardboard, but it is a good first thing to try as it's cheaper than most other options (esp the couch!).

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah.....I have a $400 recliner and a $500 love seat for scratching posts in the rec room downstairs. :(

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I am just waiting for her to get one thread loose on couch and i am gonna die,i have to get this under control............

PetFriendly
December 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM
When I moved my cat into the city it took a little while to get her to use the cardboard ones. All I did though was move her from the couch to the box and say good girl... Of course a little catnip helps too :D Plus, we have a number of these things in the livingroom and bedroom so they can be social and scratch all at once.

They are pretty sturdy, though if the cat isn't on the angled one with all four feet it can move around a bit.

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
You could try putting a vertical post in front of where they usually scratch the couch... I did get a new chair last year and of course they thought it was a new toy for them and started scratching it. I put the sisal post right in front of it and of course also scolded if i saw them scratching the chair, and this did the trick. It seems to help also if they see you scratching the post or the cardboard thing or whatever. I think it is marking behavior, so they see you do it and want to scratch too. Monkey see, monkey do, lol. :D Encourage your cat to scratch what you want them to scratch and discourage what you don't want them to scratch. Most of them can be trained, and good luck!

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Oh how i do try,first thing in the morning she goes for the couch i tell her no pick her up and put her in position to scratch her condo,she is just not having it,then soon as i go in bathroom she goes right back to couch and i can hear her going to town scratching it,kind of hard to stop when you are on toilet..hee hee

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Heidiho, have you tried Tenderfoot's suggestion of the double-sided tape? I wish I had thought about that before my "downstairs" furniture got destroyed.

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
No i did have tape on there but boyfriend didnt like it,he sure will when our 1700.00 couch is ruined.......

Kristin7
December 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
They are persistent little buggers, aren't they?

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 03:16 PM
You got that right,persistent,fearless,determined,strongwilled, picky,fiesty.but then loving,sweet,fun,and just super loveable......

chico2
December 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Heidi,from my own experience,it seems cats like the edges of the sofas,arms,or whatever they are called..
I use goodlooking throws to cover those parts,as to not take away from the decor,no cat will scratch anything that hangs looose.
It looks to me,like your sofas are made of the same material as my cornerunit in my den,I believe it's called Ultra Suede,a strong easy to clean material.
By the way,I bought the cardboard thingy today,Rocky attacked it with fervor as did Vinnie,I sprayed it with cat-nip and it seems to be a success.
I bought it at Wal-Mart for only $9,97..

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM
that is exactly where she goes for the arm thing that is part of the arm rest you would use sittting on your couch ,only the lower half of it,i went to the place over here where it said they had the cardboard kind but they were out have to go to other side today after work we do have a walmart there so that is where i will be going,we do have a throw i will also try that to.great idea.....

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I use goodlooking throws to cover those parts,as to not take away from the decor,no cat will scratch anything that hangs looose.

I tried the throws but they just wiggled their way underneath. :frustrated:

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM
lol i could see her doing that...what about also having those scrathcers you hang on doorknobs????

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
The ones you hang on the doorknob aren't stable enough for scratching. I think all they would do is batt them around. :shrug:

heidiho
December 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Alright i think i am armed with all the info,iam atta here in 10 minutes to go to other side will see what walmart has to offer.....

Kristin7
December 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I hope your cat likes her new scratching toy! You might try putting whatever you get near the couch arm to draw her away, and once she is hooked move it to a more convenient place. Good luck!

Mahealani770
January 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Heidi! (Aloha sista)
You and I seem to have the same kitty problems at the exact same time. Minnie scratches the hell out of our brand new carpet and nothing seems to deter her. Minnie also has a kitty condo that she won't scratch on :frustrated:
I didn't think the cardboard would work, but we've both HAD IT and I'm desperate at this point. There's nothing like worrying that you won't get your rental deposit back because your cat has ruined the carpet :mad:
Good luck Heidi, I'm off to buy cardboard :shrug:

~M~

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Update on the cardboard,not happening,if i put her paws on it she will scratch a little bit but goes right back to arm of couch,so had to put throw blanket back on arm..

chico2
January 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Heidi,I was wondering what was happening with you and your kitty:confused:
Give the card-board some time,mine are all using it,I spray a little catnip scented stuff on it though,but often kittens are not interested in cat-nip.

heidiho
January 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I took a few days off work and have no computer at home been having pets.ca withdrawls,she is awesome,crazier everyday,she also has no interest in catnip at all,it came with catnip to sprinkle on and she could care less,she is obsessed with the arm of the sofa,not sure what else to do,we are probably just gonna have to buy soemthing to cover the whole arm and the bottom of couch to it also ahs the material she likes.