Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sad Christmas

swanangel
December 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Im new here but need some help, I came home from work yesterday xmas eve to find my chihuahua had passed away in his sleep, my son was with him all the time so he was not alone, but I feel so guilty that I was not there with him and I feel so sad and miss him so very very much I dont know how to cope,

Lukka'sma
December 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hi swanangel. How very sorry I am to hear of the passing of your little chihuahua. I have no words of wisdom to get you through this sad time but send my deepest condolence.

BusterBoo
December 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM
:rip: I am so sorry to hear of your loss......

OntarioGreys
December 27th, 2006, 03:21 AM
I am very sorry for your loss, :candle: :grouphug:

http://www.angelbluemist.com/aplaceforus.html

CyberKitten
December 27th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I am so sorry fror your loss. Guilt really is a wasted emotion - you obviously loved him very much so think of all the good times you shared with him while he was alive!! I know it's hard tho - I've been there (suspect all of us here have been at various times) but I do hope those good times can sustain you as you grieve for him.

Take care of yourself and your family as you mourn! :grouphug:

rainbow
December 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
So sorry for the loss of your chihuahua. :grouphug: :candle:

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Your little guy was well loved and died peacefully, surrounded by all the comforts and joys of his home and his people ~ you and your son have wonderful memories to cherish. :grouphug:

Daisy2943
December 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM
You can't be there every second of the day while your loved one human or cannine is dying. Your chihahau sorry i can't spell it was not alone and they now you cared about them. You can either dwell on the 30 seconds before he died or you can look at all the years you had with him.

Frenchy
December 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I dont know how to cope,

There is no right or wrong way. It will get easier with time. But please don't feel guilty. Dogs know when they are loved and I often heard they will choose to leave this world while their owners are not there, just to spare us the pain. That's how they are, unconditional love.

roxieandsabrina
December 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Oh no! I would be crushed to and feel the same way if I lost one of my animals!! I really don't know what to say except I am so sorry for your loss.

gillian
December 28th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved 14 y/o cat Sam about 2 weeks before Christmas and we (my other cat Luna and I) miss him very much. I know your pain but you must not feel guilty for not being there when your doggy died. I was with my Sam when he died but was not when he first fell ill - you just can't know when these things are going to happen. Believe me, your dog knew how loved he was and that's what's most important.

When I left for work in the morning Sammy was his usual happy, active self but when I got home he was in obvious pain and dragging his back leg. I rushed him to the animal emergency hospital where they suggested he might have thrown a clot but all tests came back as quite normal except for a chest xray which showed an enlarged heart and some congestive heart failure so I took him home for the night and then to his regular vet in the morning. My vet confirmed that he had likely thrown a clot but because he wasn't in really bad shape we decided to do an echocardiogram to look at his heart and to try some medication to ease the congestive heart failure. Unfortunately it was the weekend so the echo couldn't be done til Monday morning. He did well during that day but overnight threw another clot and was in terrible pain in the morning. I rushed to the Vet's immediately to be with him all the while hoping there was something we could do. He clung to me so and though I hated to let him go, I could not stand to see him suffer any more. There is no treatment for cardiomyopathy in animals - in humans the only real cure is a heart transplant. I would have paid anything to fix him if there was a treatment or cure available. As there's not, I had to let him go. I held him in my arms while he went off to be with the angels and then for some time after he was gone. I was only able to finally leave him because I knew he had a good life and knew how much he was loved. I'm sure he's in a good place and is as happy as he was here with me.

Try to focus on the good memories you have and the knowledge that your dog knew you loved him very much. It won't take away all the pain but it may help to ease your sadness.

gillian

Inisfad
December 28th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Grief is such an awful feeling, especially when it happens around the holidays. You didn't say if your dog was ill, but it would appear not, and that he just passed away quietly in his sleep. Frankly, what a lovely way to go - not having to endure trips to the vet, needles, medicine, etc. For your pet, he is now in a better place, and happy and serene. I know that doesn't make your loss feel any less. But please know that the time will come when you will be able to look back on all the things you did together, and smile.

papillonmama
December 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
That is terribly sad. Sorry for your loss.