Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello to everyone and question on meowing

norman
December 23rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have an 18 year old male cat. For about a little over a year now, he has been meowing very loudly at times. It could be early in the morning, during the day etc. I'm not sure why. However, it appears that he is going or may have become deaf. He dosen't respond when I call him when I come into the room where he sitting or sleeping. Has anyone experienced their cat meowing very loudly.

rainbow
December 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your senior boy. :cat:

When was the last time your cat was at the vet? At 18 yr. old there could be a number of things causing him to meow if he is uncomfortable. Cats are amazing at hiding things that are bothering them. If he hasn't had a complete senior blood panel and urinalysis done very recently then I would suggest that you do so as soon as possible. :pawprint:

TeriM
December 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
I agree, a checkup is a good idea. If he is going deaf he also may just be confused and is calling out to find out where you are.

norman
December 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your senior boy. :cat:

When was the last time your cat was at the vet? At 18 yr. old there could be a number of things causing him to meow if he is uncomfortable. Cats are amazing at hiding things that are bothering them. If he hasn't had a complete senior blood panel and urinalysis done very recently then I would suggest that you do so as soon as possible. :pawprint:

It's been about a year since we had him at the vet due to a problem with his back legs. He could not walk very good, nor, jump up on my chair or our bed. The vet ran all kinds of test but could not find what was causing the problem. I thought I'd have to him him put to rest. The vet suggested steroids which has helped and I continue to give some to him from time to time. Hope this response gets to you. Not sure how all this works, nor, how to send pictures.
Norman

mummummum
December 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM
When you reply, look up at the toolbar above, you'll see a paperclip. You will need to have photos the proper size of course but, that is how to attach pix.