Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing problem

Angie Lofland
December 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
I am in search of help! I am new to this group. I have a 2 year old Westie in which we adore. We noticed she started peeing on the carpet near the back door which has a doggie door that she loves to use. We think she would get up in the middle of the night and is too lazy to go outside. We tried locking her in the bedroom and she pee'd in the bedroom. We thought the problem stopped and just recently moved to a new house 3 weeks ago. It's started again. My husband actually caught her last night. As we were going to bed, she thought we were out of sight and she pee'd in the hall. We then realized she had done it several times in that hall and again close to the doggie door. She seems to be very happy dog and loves to go outside and wait for squirls. I don't know what to do. Since we caught her in the act last night, we put her in her crate in another room. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Angie

mesaana
December 23rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Has she been to the vet for a urine analysis? A urine infection should be ruled out before you look at possible behaviour problems.

Angie Lofland
December 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
I haven't taken her for that. She did just happen to have her anual check-up on Friday though. Would they test for that normally or would I need to ask?

Thanks!
Angie

santos
December 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
she's not properly house-broken, it's not her fault

rainbow
December 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your little girl.

It sounds like she probably has a urinary/bladder infection and a trip to the vet is in order. Did you tell your vet the problem when you went in on Friday for her annual check-up? They would not check for that unless you took in a urine sample and specifically asked.

Winston
December 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
I totally agree! A urine test is a must...Does she drink alot of water before bed time? Maybe cut back her intake in the evenings?

Cindy
:fingerscr

Angie Lofland
December 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Thank you, I will ask the vet when they open this week about a urine test. If it turns out not to be a urine problem, what are your suggestions? One person said she's not properlt trained. What do I do? Last night I walked her to the back yard to make sure she went before bed. We shut the bedroom door last night and there weren't any problems.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Angie