Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sonic Boom!

jesse's mommy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I just heard the coolest thing ever -- a Sonic Boom! It's the first one I've heard since we've been here. Space shuttle Discovery is landing at Kennedy Space Center as we speak and as it traveled over Central Florida, you can hear it. Jesse jumped up and started barking out the window and the whole house shook. It seriously was the coolest thing! Wow!

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
That must be soo cool ! Stupid question ; can you see it ? :confused:

jesse's mommy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Not a stupid question, I asked the same thing. :D I thought there would be a flash or something, but it's just a loud BOOM and it's not a thunder boom, it's almost like something crashed BOOM (that lasted about 4-5 seconds). It was a boom that you would hear in the movies. I've seriously never heard anything like this. It was really cool.

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Another dumb question.....Does the space shuttle make them all the time but you've just never heard them before? :o

jesse's mommy
December 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Yep, everytime they enter the atmosphere. I've never heard it before because they've always landed during the day while I'm in one of my stores working. This is the first one I've actually been able to listen for.

The weird thing about it is that the news replayed their recording of it and it sounded like a pop pop -- more like fireworks, but when you actually witness the sound it almost echos. It's hard to describe, but it's REALLY cool.

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Glad you finally got to hear it.....it must have been awesome.

jawert1
December 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
I'm soooooooooooo jealous Jesse'sMommy!!!! I was (still am) a space nerd as a kid, and got to see a shuttle in the VAB at Canaveral, but NEVER the sonic boom or liftoff. I'll pay Jesse's weight in fat cats and stuffed trout if you take pics the next time there's a launch and post em :D

jesse's mommy
December 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Actually I haven't seen the liftoff yet, but we are planning on popping over to Canaveral to see it. The couple of times that we were going to see them, they had to reschedule because of the weather. I promise to take pictures when we see it. :thumbs up

Prin
December 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
Was it cool? lol

Sounds like it was really cool.:o Can't picture it though.. Maybe when we have the pets.ca bbq at your house, we can arrange it so that the boom happens when we're all outside....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
That must have been really cool - Would love to hear/see something like that.

Looking forward to the BBQ :D

jjgeonerd
December 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Cool! I heard a couple when I lived in Nevada. Most of the fighter training (i.e. Top Gun) takes place over Nevada because of the sparse population.

Anyway...sometimes you can see a "vapor cone" if a plane is travelling faster than the speed of sound. From what I've read it usually happens when it's very humid...like Navy jets over the ocean.

Here's a couple F-18's breaking the sound barrier:

Prin
December 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Cool. :cloud9:

erykah1310
December 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
thats some neat stuff, would definately love to hear that ( sonic boom)

rainbow
December 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Awesome. :thumbs up

Frenchy
December 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Pretty cool pics ! :thumbs up

Rick C
December 28th, 2006, 10:43 PM
A bit off-topic - but on topic a bit too . . . .

In the winter months, the International Space Station, the space shuttle and, before it crashed to Earth, the Russian space station Mir would cross over our hilltop aerie here in the country southwest of Calgary.

In one instance, the ISS passed over as a bright dot going east to west with the space shuttle following 100 miles behind . . . . which, at that distance, makes the two appear very close . . . . travelling at 30,000 + miles per hour.

In another, the Mir station passed over and an experimental solar sail - enormous in itself - was fluttering faithfully behind, also about a hundred miles distance but appearing closer.

I guess the passing of the ISS or the space shuttle is such a common thing now that the local newspapers don't even let us know when an occurance will happen anymore . . . . although that would be easy enough to find out via NASA's website.

And occasionally we'll sit outside and look for satellites or the periodic meteor showers.

Because we're in the country with few lights around, the Milky Way prominent every night and winter making things even more crisp, these ISS and shuttle passovers are quite interesting, even if they are short-lived.

But, alas, no cool sonic boom.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jawert1
December 29th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Oh I dunno Rick, I'm still looking for jobs up your way and renew my efforts whenever you post pics :cloud9: I would love to see the night sky as it is at my folks house, down here, the brightest stars are generally moving in landing pattern towards Dulles International :sad: