Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Retriever Behaviour

JanM
December 21st, 2006, 08:47 PM
I have two Goldens - Bobby - a 2.5 yr old boy and Amber a 1.5 yr old girl. Amber MUST have something in her mouth when she greets people - a twig, a toy, a bone, a leaf - anything! Bobby does not do this. Can anyone shed light on this behaviour? Is she offering her treasure or ?????

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Sure , goldens are retrievers so they feel comfortable with something in their mouth , they are retrieving. Mind you, I have 3 in the house and none of them do so but goldens usually do like it.

CinnaAngie
December 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Nikki does something, similar. She can't go outside to do her business unless something is in her mouth. I think it's pretty cute. She panics if she isn't carrying something, and runs around looking for ANYTHING to take with her (tin can, slipper, piece of paper). I'm sure the neighbors are getting a good chuckle.

She's a labrador retriever, not a golden, but I think it is very much a retriever trait!

TMac
December 21st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Sounds like your average adorable retriever behaviour to me! :cloud9:

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
BTW, you said you have 2 goldens ? We sure like to see some pics of them ! :D

mummummum
December 21st, 2006, 10:07 PM
My girlfriends' Golden's do this. From her perspective, it's not a bad thing as having got something in their mouthes they've stopped barking !

Dracko
December 21st, 2006, 10:55 PM
I have friends who have 2 Goldens and one of them is like this too.

Hunter's_owner
December 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
My uncle has a golden (used to have 5) and many of them have done that. The one that is still there (the rest passed awy within the last two years:rip: ) is the worst of all of them for doing this. It is so cute.:D

One thing that she will always do when people come in and take off their shoes, she will wait until they sit and then go get a shoe and either walk around with it in her mouth, or bring it to them.

I have a labrador retriever and he holds things in his mouth as well. He only does this though when someone that he likes (well he likes everyone, but someone he really, really likes) comes home. He will run around trying to find something to carry in his mouth. But we have him trained now that it must be a toy, not shoes, or a remote control (which he liked to carry when he was a puppy:rolleyes: :D )

Kristin7
December 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
My neighbor's golden does this too, and he also makes this strange whining sound to go along with it.

Hunter's_owner
December 22nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Yes my Uncle's dog does this too. It is hilarious. They say she is trying to talk, and I believe it.:D

jessi76
December 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
my dog does this too - every day! and he's not a golden, he's a basenji-boxer mix. absolutely MUST have something in his mouth when he greets someone. usually he grabs the nearest shoe, but he's been known to grab other silly stuff... a purse, a blanket (this one is particularly funny, cause he tries to run around w/ a blanket trailing under him - and he trips!), toys, scarves, hats, gloves, dish towels, etc...

JanM
December 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Well, someone (bless your heart) said they wanted to see pictures of my goldens... here is their Christmas picture..

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you ! So nice of them to sit pretty while you were taking the picture ! BTW, you should post it again in the december challenge picture thread, they are dressed for it ! ;) Here are "my" guys ( 2 of them are fosters)

Rottielover
December 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think someone should tell harley he is not a retriever. He always does that. greets people with something in his mouth. He also retrieves alot better than some dogs we have met. LOL

JanM
December 22nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Wow - Frenchy, you have a lovely bunch of doggies! Beautiful... and Goldens are soooo nice (but I'm not biased)...

From the sounds of it, mine two are both "typical" - one does the "in-the mouth" thing and the other doesn't!

We spent 2 hours walking up a mountain today with a pack of other dogs - in all there were 14 dogs - what a treat to see them running and playing and just having a blast doing what dogs love to do!

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone..