Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In a Shocking New Video, Pink Calls for a Boycott of Australian Wool

heidiho
December 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM
Outspoken rocker and animal rights activist Pink has long shunned fur and often opts for alternatives to leather. Now, she has joined PETA's campaign to expose the horrendous cruelty in the wool industry. Currently performing to rave reviews all over Europe and gearing up for her upcoming tour with Justin Timberlake, Pink took time out of her busy schedule to narrate our video exposing the bizarre cruelty behind Australia’s massive merino sheep trade. Pink declares, "The wool trade uses methods so sadistic that it makes you consider clearing your closet of any animal products."

Like Pink's music, this video is both powerful and moving.
Other Viewing Options
Get code to post this video on your blog.

In the shocking video, Pink shows viewers the suffering that sheep endure in the Australian wool industry. Millions of lambs are mutilated each year by having chunks of skin and flesh cut from their backsides—without any pain relief—in a practice known as "mulesing," even though humane alternatives are available.

Pink also describes the treatment of sheep who, because they are no longer producing enough wool, are transported thousands of miles through scorching heat and freezing cold in extremely crowded ships to have their throats slit in filthy, open-air markets while they are still conscious.
Pink screens her new PETA video backstage before her Paris concert

Details of PETA's investigation into the cruel live-export industry can be found here.

Says Pink, "I am calling on consumers to check labels on sweaters before buying them, and if they're merino wool or made in Australia, to leave them on the racks."

To get your hands on the latest cruelty-free fashions, check out the PETA Mall or our cruelty-free clothing shopping guide.

Join Pink in boycotting Australian wool until the cruel practices of mulesing and live exports are stopped. Use the form below to send a letter to the prime minister of Australia asking for a permanent ban on the cruel practices of mulesing and live exports!

Note: Personalized letters always work best. Feel free to use the following text, but your message will carry more weight if you write a customized message and subject line.

Take Action on This Issue
Subject:

Dear [ Decision Maker ],

heidiho
December 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
Wow i never knew....:sad:

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
That is awful if it is true. Although I think PETA does a lot of good I am very suspicious of them as I believe they greatly "twist" the truth to suit their purposes in a lot of cases.

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM
That is awful if it is true. Although I think PETA does a lot of good I am very suspicious of them as I believe they greatly "twist" the truth to suit their purposes in a lot of cases.

I agree. While most of what PETA does is for the goodness of the animals, I don't agree with some of the things they have said or done.

LavenderRott
December 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Wow i never knew....:sad:

You still don't. PETA will twist anything around to get their "casue" on the front page of the paper.

heidiho
December 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM
i know peta is extreme but when i see video i believe.,......

LavenderRott
December 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Sorry but in this day and age, with video capabilities what they are - you are going to need more then video to convince me of your cause. (And I don't mean YOU personally, Heidi.)

heidiho
December 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Thats ok,we all are aloud our thoughts on it,and i know technology can do some altering,but i believe these videos to be real because i believe people are that cruel..

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah some people are cruel, but PETA can be cruel as well;)

For 7 things you didn't know about peta, see:
http://www.animalscam.com/peta_7things.cfm

For more information, see:
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Just some info to show the other side of PETA as well. Like anything, you can find information to support both sides:shrug:

Dogastrophe
December 21st, 2006, 08:21 PM
If the practice of what the PETA video is showing is happening at all or most sheep farms then there is a problem, however if it is only happening at one or two farms (assuming of course that the video footage was filmed recently and they are not using 20 year old footage which they regularily like to do to make 'their' point) then it is wrong to stereotype the entire industry.

With a bit of creative writing, video, and celebrity endorsement, you could easily lead people to believe that everyone who breeds dogs in North America does so in cruel puppy mill conditions. All you would need to do is to show clips of, say, the Westminster Dog Show winner, then immediately follow it up by showing a PM pumping out dogs of the same breed. Add a well written voice over, and stick a celeb front and center, and many people would falsely make a connnection that all dogs are produced in this manner.

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Just some info to show the other side of PETA as well. Like anything, you can find information to support both sides:shrug:

:eek: :eek: :eek: .

Hunter's_owner
December 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM
Yeah. I had to post the links just to prove that a video done by peta means nothing. They can make a video lie.;)

I can't stand people who say that they are out for the best interest of the animals and then do stuff like they do. It makes it bad for us who really do love animals.:frustrated:

Golden Girls
December 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
1st thank you Hunter for the hard fact evidence against Peta but I doubt not one person on this board hasn't read the above.

Peta might not be what people thought they were and I agree they are hypocritical, they euthanize and kill animals etc (their also a pound)and I will never support this but they have also done so many things that I believe was/is needed to help exposure so much "extreme" cruelty that is going on all over our world. This being one of them wool.

If anyone thinks the video's are altered and that the 100 million sheep in Australian do not suffer horribly by "mulesing" and "transport" alone - I'm speechless! Latest media release: "Austratian Wool Innovation Limited welcomes Federal Court decision to set a trial date in Peta case" I'm assuming slander :shrug:

Heidiho Apparently your not the only one who didn't know the extent of cruelty for profit :confused:

LavenderRottI'm not disaggreeing with you that Peta won't do anything and everything to get their cause on the front page ... if it brings donations I get that. That being said, I'd do the exact same thing if I was Peta is all I'm saying <-- meaning perhaps shocking people if that's what it took.

IMO the more they expose the horror, the more people will see how without knowing their contributation to the suffering of animals. I know it changed my ways.

Prin
December 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Actually, I know a few who haven't read that yet.:)

If we should be supporting anybody about animals it's WSPA and WWF. Not PETA.;)

heidiho
December 22nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
There is no proof that the video is old or alterted so i would rather assume it is the real thing than assume it is not and be wrong...

Golden Girls
December 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Prin;340384]Actually, I know a few who haven't read that yet.:) If we should be supporting anybody about animals it's WSPA and WWF. Not PETA.;)Silly me, of course you know otherwise! I'm glad to hear you feel you should and are most likely supporting these organizations, their wondeful. If anyone would like to donate here's the links for easy access: http://www.wspa-international.org/about.asp I know they do alot for bears in Australia - not sure though about the topic at hand. Maybe Prin you can fill the members in ;)

And this link: http://www.wwf.ca/AboutWWF/WhoWeAre/Difference.asp will let you know if your donations are worthy :thumbs up

Regarding the topic at hand I don't think you have to send Peta donations or even support Peta for that matter. If you feel that the sheep in Australia are in fact living cruelty lives you can send an email yourself to Prime Minister John Howard. Or, you can always educate yourself just by surfing, there's plenty of info on this topic that has nothing to do with Peta.

It still won't change the fact that animals no matter who's doing the reporting are living in hell.

heidiho
December 22nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Your last sentence says it all.........

Prin
December 23rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
Sorry if I offended you somehow GG, but I just was trying to say that the more people know the better so it's always good to recirc the links.:shrug: :o :o

I learned most of what I know from Melanie, who used to come here and who used to work for the WWF.:)

Golden Girls
December 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry if I offended you somehow GG, but I just was trying to say that the more people know the better so it's always good to recirc the links.:shrug: :o :o
I learned most of what I know from Melanie, who used to come here and who used to work for the WWF.:)I'm not personally offended Prin and although I do think it's great if people support animal welfare in any way, shape or form I just feel whenever Peta's name is mentioned all bet's are off in helping the animals. People tend to get side-tracked and/or the topic get's lost along the way. I just know if I were a sheep I'd wonder y so much effort is put into wondering if it's true :o I think we can at least agree that the profit is higher if the minimal care is taken so even if we just assume it's true I think sending an e-mail is not asking alot.

I'm sure there's alot of info regarding the trial date against Peta as well.

poodletalk
December 24th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Peta has made alot of difference to Animal Welfare around the world. Maybe we don't agree with all their tactics, but they make people aware of the plight of animals.

LL1
December 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
So sad.Way to go yet again PETA,and Pink!