Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Standing Or Lying Down?

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 04:12 PM
The reason I'm posting this crazy poll is because Sasha eats laying down! It's crazy. I've never seen or heard of a dog doing this. I'm curious if any of ya'll out there in cyber world have experienced this, or is just my kooky dog?

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM
Boo always eats lying down. Jemma eats sitting... I prefer Boo's way, but that's mostly because he takes his time and savors his food.:D

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM
lol, I had no CLUE other dogs did this! I've never seen it before. Yeah, Sasha seems to take her time when she does this. I wonder if it's easier for her to protect her food this way? She covers more of it maybe. I dunno, but's awfully cute. My other two stand and inhale. lol

Lukka'sma
December 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Lukka has to stand to eat because she takes one kibble at a time and walks it into the living room where she drops it on the carpet and then picks it back up and eats it. Back to her food dish in the other room and proceeds with the second kibble. This goes on till the bowl is empty.

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
So basically, Lukka's food is like celery- uses more energy to eat it than the food gives, lol.

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
LOL Lukka'sma. That is a great keeping the dog busy thing for you! My labs both wolf down their food like it is the first meal in days :( .

Lukka'sma
December 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Thank goodness I don't have a 10,000sq. ft. home.

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Lukka'sma, I have seen dogs do this before, but they have only been tiny little dogs. I never heard of a large dog doing it, too funny:D

Hunter and Cassie both eat standing up. The dog we had while I was growing up used to eat lying down, and like you Brandynva, I didn't know other dogs did this either:shrug:

Golden Girls
December 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Both mine eat lying down with their bowl between their paws. I never thought of it as guarding but I guess that's what their doing. Lukka'sma that's too funny

rainbow
December 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM
Both my lab and my husky stand up while eating.

rainbow
December 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Lukka'sma, I have seen dogs do this before, but they have only been tiny little dogs. I never heard of a large dog doing it, too funny:D

Me too. :D

Oh, and also, I've seen lots of dogs lie down to eat but none of mine ever have. :shrug:

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Wow! This is really eye opening. I think it's hilarious when she does it. She cradles it between her paws. She doesn't do this to drink though. Like lukka'sma, Roscoe will get some food, bring it into the living room, eat it and go back for more. He gets a mouthful though. I think he does it so he won't miss what's going on in the main room. It's funny though. I just love the entertainment our animals provide us.

mummummum
December 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Ceili eats lying down. Depending on her level of sucky-babyness, sometimes I have to take the kibble out of the bowl, a handful at a time, put it on the floor or her bed beside her paws, never between her paws and even though the bowl is right there, when she is set on High Sucky-Baby she will wait until I come back to take the next handful out...sometimes on Super-High-Sucky, she'll only eat out of my hand:o

Bridie would eat standing on her head with her tail thumping to "Messiah" if that's what it took to get the food.

Declan eats standing up but will sometimes drink lying down if he's in the livingroom and can streeeetch out.

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 07:15 PM
Bridie would eat standing on her head with her tail thumping to "Messiah" if that's what it took to get the food.

That's hilarious:D Cassie is the same as that, I have never seen her walk away from food. She almost jumps up and down for it when she sees she is getting fed:rolleyes:

OntarioGreys
December 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
A lot of taller dogs will lie down to eat as it is more comfortable than standing like a giraffe to eat, having a couple of greyhounds if the bowl is on the floor you can watch there front legs start to shake after a bit, I have found for them it is much better to feed them from raised feeding dishes

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM
Bailey eats lying down in the summer because mister doesn't feel like coming in at supper time, he lays on the patio so I serve him :D his dish there and he eats in that position. Sam eats standing up. All the dogs here lknow when I serve them their dish, they have to eat right away. Bailey (again :rolleyes: ) sometimes doesn't feel like eating and will stay in the living room, lying somewhere,again, I bring him his dish and he just eats without having to move ! :king:

Dracko
December 21st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Dracko used to eat lying down often but he has elevated bowls now so, of course, can't. He, too, often will take some kibble, walk to where I am, eat it, go back, repeat. Or I take a scoop of his food, hand him the scoop and he takes it to his bed and eats out of it. I do it just cuz I find it cute to watch him carry it.

springermom0406
December 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM
Riley eats standing up. Jasmine eats laying down. But when she eats the food cannot be in the bowl it has to be on the floor. :cool:

twisten
December 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
My GSD does both but mainly lays down to eat. My little chi stands up. If she laid down she wouldn't get to eat because she is so small she'd never get in the dish.

brandynva
December 27th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Ok, one more question. What about bloat? I read somewhere that you shouldn't elevate your large dog's food bowls because of the bloat. If they lay down, isn't it essentially the same effect? Would the risk of bloat increase? (I'm fairly ignorant on this topic, so that's why I ask.)

LynLyn
December 28th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Bowser eats standing up with his back right leg up as though it's hurt, but as soon as he's done eating, the foot comes down.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
December 28th, 2006, 12:48 AM
My two normally stand while eating. Hamish will occasionally on the nice days when she can eat outside, Suki will lie down to eat her food.

Prin
December 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Ok, one more question. What about bloat? I read somewhere that you shouldn't elevate your large dog's food bowls because of the bloat. If they lay down, isn't it essentially the same effect? Would the risk of bloat increase? (I'm fairly ignorant on this topic, so that's why I ask.)

IMO, no. Just because elevating doesn't imply that your dog will eat slowly, whereas all the dogs who lie down that I know eat much more slowly. (The more air they take in as they eat, the more chance of bloat...)

brandynva
December 28th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I see. Yes, Sasha eats far more slowly lying down than Roscoe does standing up. Unless we're in teh living room. Then he grabs a bite, runs in here to eat it, look around and go back for more. This is recent. I think it's teh addition of the new doggie. Anyway, thanks for the info! :thumbs up

LynLyn, that sounds cute. I love how entertaining our pets can be.

papillonmama
December 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Dory eats standing up, but she pretends that she doesn't eat dog food, so I only see her doing it once in a while. She's one of those dogs that pretends she doesn't eat in the hopes that someone will give her some leftovers, even though nobody ever does.:o

brandynva
December 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
lol, I have one that does that too. It's cute.

OntarioGreys
December 30th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Sunny eats the same pace whether laying or standing at his feeder which is sort of fast though not as crazily as he did when he first arrived.

As far as raised feeder studies go they have swung back and forth a number of times over the years, the results are dependant on how many dog that bloated that were also using a raised feeder it does not necessarily make it a cause just a coincidence to be considered as a factor, depending on the group of dogs you are using you could have more dogs bloating or less using the raised feeder because of the number of times the study results changed, I do not believe the raised feeder is truly a factor. A poll had been done amongst pet greyhound owners 80% used raised feeders only about 10% fed off the floor the others fed raw

I find it interesting that the St Bernard is listed as second for risk of bloat considering bloat risk is related to deep and "narrow chested" breeds, you would think many of the sighthounds would be at Higher risk since their chest is as deep but less than half as wide,
Callie was deep chested but narrower than even most greyhounds Callie from top of back to lowest point of chest measuring straight vertically was approx 14" her chest width would be approx 6" across the shouldersshe was quite tall at 29" at the shoulder I used to joke about how she could fit through the eye of a needle but her depth of chest/width ratio should have according to the studies put her near the top of the list for bloat especially according to the studies I increased her risk factors by feeding from a raised feeder and added water to the kibble and because she was hard to maintain weight she was getting double the portions of food her one meal was equal to 2 of Sunnys, like Maya she was bad for zoomies especially right before meal times, with Callie I learned to give up with worrying about running just before eating I came to realize it was her way of stimulating the bowels so she would be able to tank up on food, if she did not have her sprint and poop I would have a hard time getting enough food into her, and instead focused on keeping the dogs quiet at least a hour after eating

Based on things I have noted and researched it would be interesting to do a bloat study on dogs that are proned and have a genetic factor and x-ray each one at the beginning of the study to see in any have organ abnormalities such as enlarged spleens that may be affecting the stomach or compressing upper intestines making it difficult for gas to escape, that might make more sense as to why genetics plays a role, Sunny's spleen changed/grew after he was 3 years old which would also tie in with the age risk, we do xrays yearly right now to watch for changes and also to ensure the spleen in not compressing on other organs, so far most of the studies the main focus seems to be diet rather than looking iside the dog to see of there is physiological differences prior to bloating. 3 of the 4 greyhounds I had found that bloated there was mention of enlarged spleens found during surgery