- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Dog Appetite

December 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
We've been slowly weening Sprocket off of Nutro onto Wellness dog food, because we have a good amount of Nutro left, we can take our time. It's been just over a week and everything is going fine, but today I noticed he's had basically no appetite. This morning he didn't really touch his food, this afternoon he ate 75% of it, but that was me coaxing a bit.

Is this a normal thing for puppies? I'm a bit worried that he may like the junkier stuff as opposed to the more healthy dog food....I hope not though. The past week he's had a pretty good appetite, so this has me worried a tidbit. I know he may not be feeling well, not like the food or it could be some other reason, but it would make me feel so much better if I knew this was a normal "puppy" thing.

Thanks for your help!

December 21st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, not every dog loves wellness.:o He might like the Solid Gold Wolf Cub better.:shrug:

December 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM
It isn't unusual for puppies to have a lower appetite for a few days. Both mine and my mom's pups had spells where they didn't eat that much for a few days and then went back to normal. I think it is a bit of a growing thing. Give it a few days and then see if he has a better appetite. If not consider switching like Prin suggested.

Also, consider if the Wellness is more dense than the Nutro and maybe he needs a little less food?

December 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hunter was like this as well. He would get a day or a couple of days where he really didn't want to eat his food. I think he always wanted to hold out to see if he could get something better.

December 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Could he be teething? A lot of pups may be a bit off during those really sore days. I know Rosco had a few days here and there where he didn't care for the kibble. Strangely enough, it was when he was eating but also on the DVP Venison.

December 21st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Thank you for all the info. The little buggar is teething, I happened to be "digging" something out of his mouth yet again and noticed a big tooth in the back just barely poking through. I'm really relieved to know this is normal, I don't want to keep him on Nutro and am happy with Wellness. I thought I was being over protective of my young