Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this usual for private rescues??

Dogastrophe
December 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Recently I sent a note to a private rescue regarding one of the dogs that they had on Petfinder. I was trying to get some additional information about the pup to see if he would be a possible fit for us and our other two pups.

I was inquiring about things like: is the dog crate trained, general background if known, health issues, etc. The response I received back said that they are very particular about where they place their dogs (which is great) then went on to say that they do not ever want the dog crated, never be vaccinated again in his life (but did not say why), and that they will specify the food that the dog must be fed. Is this usual? Do private rescues generally make specific demands like this? If so, why?

Any thoughts?

mesaana
December 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Definitely unusual. Maybe this dog has some specific issues, but they should say that. I know of one or 2 rescues that require RAW feeding, but that's it.

I'm curious, what do you mean by "private rescue"? Do you just mean not a SPCA/Humane Society/Municipal shelter? Or do you have another meaning for it?

In any case, good luck finding the right pup for your family!

Dogastrophe
December 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
I'm curious, what do you mean by "private rescue"? Do you just mean not a SPCA/Humane Society/Municipal shelter?

I couldn't quite figure out what to call them. It is a rescue that is not affiliated with a SPCA/Humane Society/Municipal shelter or other multi-animal shelters but rather operated out of a series of private homes who provide fostering. A 'rescue' rather than a 'shelter'. Not sure if this makes sense or not.

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Some rescues have VERY specific demands... Others have less. :shrug:

Are you getting another doggy?! :pray: :)

mesaana
December 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
A 'rescue' rather than a 'shelter'. Not sure if this makes sense or not.

Absolutely! I just wanted to be sure :)

Dogastrophe
December 21st, 2006, 07:56 PM
Some rescues have VERY specific demands... Others have less. :shrug:

Are you getting another doggy?! :pray: :)

Well, the definitive answer is maybe. :shrug: We talk about it often but don't want to rush the decision or make it feel like we are replacing Monty. What we have decided for sure is that we want an older (3yrs++), even tempered, laid back one of whatever breed or mix of breeds. I'm certain that the right one will find us when the time is right. :pawprint:

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
wow,I think that's asking a lot to order the new dog owner what to feed ! And to not vaccine! I find it a bit extreme ! Good luck on your search ! (how would they know what you will feed him/her in the future anyway,will they do home visit without calling first and ask to see the dog food bag? :confused: )

OntarioGreys
December 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM
This particular dog could possibly have health issues, it may have had a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine , may have IBD and could suffer from crate anxiety in which all demands are necessary to ensure the health of this particular dog, with another dog they may not be as demanding, if they said the same about another dog they had than that is the policies they set for themselves. Are some rescues a little extreme with their demands in many opinions yes but each rescue group makes up their own requirements as to what is an ideal home, so private rescues will vary quite a bit as to what is required the majority would not be that demanding unless there are health issues.

gomez
December 22nd, 2006, 04:51 AM
When we were looking for Gomez we called the Norfolk Terrier rescue in the UK -

The lady asked many, many questions, and at the end of the conversation said she would rather let her dogs die than adopt them out to a couple living in a flat in the city - even though we have London's largest park just outside our door and a huge apartment...

8 months after we got Gomez from a breeder we took him to an event sponsored by the Norfolk Terrier Club and came across this lady - first thing she said is "what a well adjusted darling little puppy, is he one of mine?" When we told her who we were she stormed off in a huff...

So yes, we have come across "special" rescues...

(sorry for the slight threadjack...)