Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two kitties plus one!

LM1313
December 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
GREAT NEWS! You remember how I had that stray kitty a while back? I've been trying to rehome her for the longest time because I didn't think I'd be able to take her when I eventually moved (as she has no rental history and I got her without "permission") and also because she kept wailing on poor Remy. They would get into fights which, although no one ended up hurt, were definitely in a serious vein, not playing. I was always having to split them up and kept them in separate rooms when I was at work.

So I've been trying to rehome her, but haven't had any luck. If I'd put her in a shelter I'm sure she would've been adopted as they told me Siamese looking cats are usually adopted within a day, but I didn't want her to be in the stressful animal shelter environment. I tried listing her with Petfinder in their "classified ads" . . . If you ever do that to rehome an animal then BEWARE OF SCAMS! I had soooo many offers of Nigeria scams from "Christian missionaries" (yeah, right) who had "their own shipping company" they wanted to use and all used the same form letter. (What happens is this: They send you a check for a large amount, then you send them a check for the difference. Then it turns out the check you got was fake and they walk away with your money. Since they aren't in the US you can't prosecute. God only knows what happens to the poor animals when they get them.)

Well, she and Remy eventually started to calm down . . . finally one day I walked into the bedroom and there they both were on the bed, purring and grooming each other! :D Buuut I kept looking for a home for her because it's hard enough to find an apartment around here that allows two cats.

Then I found this great apartment only six blocks away . . . a one bedroom $200 cheaper than the one I was in, well-maintained, with very friendly residents who kept introducing themselves to me, LOL! The lady in the apartment below has a sign on her door that says "The Cat and Its Housekeeper Live Here". ;)

A few days after I signed the lease, I asked the landlord if he knew of anyone in the complex who needed a cat. I explained that she was a stray, very well-behaved, incredibly sweet, and that I was worried about finding a home for her. He said, "I think you should keep that cat." WOOO!! He seems like a really nice guy . . . reminds me very much of my dad, same age. He's also against declawing.

The other good news is that if I do have to rehome her (if she and Remy start having serious fights again, for example--but I don't think they will), there's an elderly woman in a lower apartment who was telling me she wanted a cat. Actually she used to live in my apartment, but they moved her to a lower one because the stairs were a challenge for her.

So it looks like I officially have three kitties! I'm so happy! I've been trying not to get too attached to her in case I had to rehome her, but now I can finally start getting to know her! :)

The only bad thing is the apartment doesn't allow dogs. Sigh!

dustybird
December 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Congrat's on the whole situation, it is hard to find a place that is happy you have pets. Sounds like you found yourself a great place, with good neighbours and a great landlord... those are hard to find. I hope the three muskateer's continue to bond and if not it sounds like you have pleanty of homes to choose from, in the new pet friendly building. That way you also get to keep in touch with her and know how she is doing.

When we first introduce our 2nd cat to the first, the first(Stixx) would beat the crap out of Forest and then one day after about 2wks she decided he was ok and we caught her holding him down and giving him a bath....of course as soon as she saw that we were watching she wacked him on the head and took off. They are best budd's now, so hopefully it just takes that one loving grooming session to set things rolling.

Again I am happy for you and hope that things continue to go well.

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Great news, I hope you and the cats enjoy life in your new home :) .

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
wow ! New cat, new home , life is just peachy ! Congratulation. :thumbs up

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yey! Congrats all around! :) :highfive:

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
That's great news.....glad you found such a cat friendly apartment. :highfive:

jawert1
December 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
Congrats LM!!!! I'm so glad this story has a very happy ending for ALL of you :-D