Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ants!!!!!!!

heidiho
December 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Ok so i am running out of places to put her food,it was ok for awhile but soemhow they have managed to find her new spot,i moved bowl at least three times last night,and within minutes they were all over it,actually were carrying a piece of her food,i have never seen that before,any ideas of how to feed her,because i leave her dry food out all the time and want to continue to do so..And one other thing living in Hawaii there is NO way you can get rid of these guys they are everywhere,even bought the bait that they take back to nest and it kills the queen,well it isnt working,:yell: :yell: :yell:

Dog Dancer
December 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Heidiho, maybe try putting the dry food dish inside of a slightly larger dish with water in it. The ants probably wouldn't be able to get to the food dish then. Other than that I don't know what to suggest, I know the ants in Hawaii are "everywhere" and you can't leave a crumb out without an army showing up. Never thought about how to feed the animals... Sorry it's probably not much help.

heidiho
December 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM
they are everywhere ,they are impossible to get rid of,i can live with it,but not them going in her food,cant have that,it is gross,i swear they had a piece of dry food about halfway up the baseboards i never seen anything like it,i was thinking of those raised things you feed dogs in,but probably to tall.it is amazing how fast they come to,the weird thing is for awhile where her bowl was it has been fine,it has been in the same spot for about 2 weeks,before i would just move to different location and it worked,last night they found every spot i put it at within minutes.this suckssssssss

brandynva
December 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
We have ants here too. I hate them. Cinnamon is a natural deterrent. They will not cross a line of cinnamon. Try putting some where they are coming in, or put a circle of it around her food bowl. It's a little messy I know, but at least it won't harm your kitty if she were to step in it. I have actually seen ants turn away from a line of cinnamon and not cross it. It doesn't take a lot either. I just wet my finger and dipped it in the cinnamon and made a line. I used the powdered type. Good luck!

heidiho
December 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
wow i didnt know that,will try,i am also on petco.com i found a raised feeder for cats do you think if it is elevated they will climb up it????

heidiho
December 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Sani-Moat Ant Barriers
Stop ants in their tracks. Sani-Moat Ant Barrier attaches to the base of your pet's food dish and creates a protective moat that ants can't cross. Works with all plastic, ceramic, and stainless steel dishes. Offered in a variety of colors.
View complete product info below

Be the first to write a re

Sani

heidiho
December 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
coulnt paste picture here,but i just found this on petco and ordered it,hope it works......:fingerscr :fingerscr

Kristin7
December 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Some suggestions

http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html

I used to live in Southern California so I know exactly what you are dealing with! The ants come in looking for water even! Good luck to you.

heidiho
December 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
ok i did the pepper thing worked last night,but this morning i saw a few in the bowl and i think it was because the pepper circle had an opening so i made a thicker circle will see what happens.also ordered that thing from petco but wont be here til tuesday

LynLyn
December 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
you can also draw a circle of chalk around her bowl, ants will walk up to the chalk and get confused and turn around, I had an ant problem once and drew a line of chalk around all the entrances of my house and it helped.

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I did order this moat thing,should be here 12-27 but what we did and it has worked great,is take a tupperwarw lid and flip it over and take pepper and fill the part where it would lock on to tupper ware dish so far no ants.....

wdawson
December 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM
sorry no advice here.....my ants don't like pet food....:D

chico2
December 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
We have an antproblem in the summer,a chalk line has always worked,cheap an not toxic to cats:thumbs up

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
well the moat thing i ordered will be here tuesday so i will see how that goes.so far the pepper is keeping them away to.

jawert1
December 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Also try getting dried chille and/or cayenne pepers and grinding them into powder to mix in with (i'm guessing you're using) black pepper. I've had success using those in my previous house where ants were a bad problem, and neither dog wanted to lick at the pepper mix :D

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 05:04 PM
yeah black pepper,but i will keep that in mind i think we do have that at home

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 06:34 PM
well my sani moat ant barrier jsut got here from fed ex,weird,it says you attach to dish and in the moat put dishwashing soap or cooking oil,or petroleum jelly,or windex....i am looking at the pictures and what i dont get is when you wash bowl how does that work cause you peel off collar liner and attach to bowl,will let you know tomorrow ......

Prin
December 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I would definitely not put windex... Windex might take away the kitty's appetite completely.:o (And is probably quite toxic to kitties and doggies)

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I am just gonna stick with black pepper,i mean it looks like it is completley sealed,which i guess it woudl have to be if that is the stuff you put in moat....

heidiho
December 26th, 2006, 06:50 PM
It does say you can put water in moat also,but i see they really hate black pepper so i am gonna stick with it,will see how good this thing is tonight

chico2
December 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Heidi,just be very carefull with spices or any kind of cleaners,they might keep the ants away,but also do some real damage to Roxy,she is a baby after all..

SarahLynn123
December 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Id be careful of the peppers also, my cat sniffs stuff like a dog! A nose full of pepper wouldn't feel to great!

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I love the moat works great,the food dish is elevated then there is a space and the moat is like an inch away from food bowl,will have to take picture not sure if the way i described it makes sense.She really isnt interested in the moat part where the pepper is,could seem to care less about that...I give it a ten not one ant in sight..It sayy you can put water in moat i could do that if there is a problem

Kristin7
December 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I wish I could remember how we got rid of the ants in the past... I remember trying out several things and not sure which one worked but it could have been a combo of things. This is what I recall: ant traps, the kind that kills the queen when the workers bring the bait back to the nest; cinnamon sprinked around where they made their tracks (they always follow some path); vegetable oil on the cat food dish (they won't cross this); and when we spotted them we'd spray a water/vinegar solution around to confuse them. I hope your moat works, sounds cool!

heidiho
December 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
living here i am told ants are just a part of life,we have put out the bait thigns where they take it back and it kills the queen,doesnt work,i have learned to just live with it,but they would disappear for awhile but always come back,and it was getting really bad with her food,so far the moat is great,i got it at petco.com