Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sasha Got Fixed

brandynva
December 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Hi! We took Sasha today to get fixed. I wanted to try a local vet I didn't know was around the corner and I am very pleased. She is doing well. Groggy, but using the facilities. She did throw up a couple of times at the vet's office and again just now. She's also very puny looking, poor baby. And she jumped in the car right away to come home. Normally she doesn't like to get in the car. hehe Anyway, I was talking to the vet's asst and she was talking about feeding raw and higher end dry food. My experience with my other vet is they push the Iams and Science Diet. Anyway, she's pitiful, but home.

mummummum
December 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Sasha ~ you'll be better in no time babygrrrl !
:grouphug: :pawprint: :grouphug: from MMM, Bridie, Ceili and Declan

Frenchy
December 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Speedy recovery Sasha ! And don't let vets tell you what to feed.

brandynva
December 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Sasha says thanks! And I brought up the food issue, considering she's underweight. But she has put on 2 lbs in 3 weeks! :thumbs up

Question: She seems to be vomiting still. Twice more tonight. It's mostly bile now and she's had nothing to eat or drink since after midnight last night. Is this typical and if so, is there anything I can do to help her?

Frenchy
December 20th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Not an expert and I'm sure someone will come here and give you good advice. When Daisy stopped eating I gave her cooked ground beef and rice. I gave her meaty baby food too. Sasha needs to get some fluids in her.

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'd keep the food simple and in small quantities till tomorrow. I'm surprised they let her come home so fast. Usually they keep her till the day after the spay.:o

She might just be too empty.:shrug: You could always call the vet to be sure.

Good luck for the recovery! :)

brandynva
December 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys!

Frenchy -- The vet said not to give her any food tonight and start her on her normal diet tomorrow. She did say I could let her have small amounts of water, but she's shown no interest tonight. She just is sleepy.

Prin -- It's a small rural clinic, which might be why they didn't keep her? I dunno. Mileva didn't stay overnight either and was fine. I normally crate her at night, but I think I'll sleep up here on the couch so she isn't so confined if she get sick. She hasn't thrown up in a couple of hours though, so hopefully the worst is over. I know with some humans they get sick after anesthesia. My mom gets horribly ill.

anyway, I'll post an update tomorrow. Thanks for being here guys. It's nice to have like minded pet owners. Ya'll have informed me so much on so many levels.

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 01:33 AM
Feel better soon Sasha :love: .

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 01:36 AM
I hope she's better tomorrow. :)

Not keeping her could very well be because the clinic is small.:shrug: Some just don't have the kennel space.

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM
I hope you and Sasha have a good night, brandy. And that she starts to eat again by morning. :fingerscr If she's just nauseated from the anesthesia, her tummy should be better by tomorrow...er...I guess I should say "later today."

The Pack is sending healing vibes and setter spittle to help her heal (setter spittle is good for what ails you--magical healing power...or at least that's what they tell me when they're drooling on my lap...) :D

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Not keeping her could very well be because the clinic is small.:shrug: Some just don't have the kennel space.

I think a lot of vets feel that because they don't have overnight staffing that the pets are better off under the careful watch of their owners instead of alone at night in a kennel.

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks guys! She does seem better this morning. No interest in food yet, but she had some water. Maybe I'll try some boiled chicken and rice a little later. She's awful puny looking though. They gave her the cutest pink bandana too. I'll have to take a picture of her with it on if I can remember to get the cam from hubby.

Hazel -- Thanks for the, er, setter spittle. :D I'm sure it'll help. I know the other two doggies have been giving her kisses. awww

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Try not to worry Brandy, it take 2-3 days for some dogs to come back to their normal self . Glad to know she's getting kisses from her "sibblings" :D

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Frenchy. It is hard not to worry. At least the vomiting stopped. I know it took Mileva a couple of days to get her appetite back. I'm just loving on her as much as possible while she's awake and letting her rest. Trying to keep her teethies away from the stitches. They told me two weeks on those!! Mileva and Roscoe's were dissolvable. Anyway, she is doing much better today, so I'm glad.

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Great!:) I bet Mileva told her to be dramatic so she'd get more attention.:evil:

I hope her recovery continues.:)

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
That's funny. She seen Mileva getting all kinds of loving, so she decided to play it up a bit:D
Glad to hear everything is going okay.

brandynva
December 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
Well they are all soooo cute how can I resist giving lots of loving? They get it when they are sick or not. I have to admit my babies are spoiled.

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Great!:) I bet Mileva told her to be dramatic so she'd get more attention.:evil:

I tought so too :D Doggy conspiracy :evil:

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have to admit my babies are spoiled.

Not that there's anything wrong with that;) .

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Is Sasha back to normal today? :fingerscr

mummummum
December 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
:sorry: Sasha isn't feeling feel and hope that she's better tonight. Dogs are all so different aren't they? I remember when Tai was spayed she was a mess for a week (but that was ...gosh 26 years ago !!) whereas Bridie and Ceili were boinging around within a two days. Anaesthesia has changed a great deal and is ever much more safe for animals now than it was then ~ :grouphug: to Sasha.

brandynva
December 23rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi guys! Sasha is much more herself today. Her pottying is off though and she has messed in the house a couple of times. She is HORRIBLE at going on leash. I haven't had her long enough to know her signals. I usually let her out and she does her business and comes in. But with the stitches, the vet wants her on leash for a few days. She was up on the couch snuggling tonight though. She's very sweet. She is also eating and drinking. Like MumX3 it took Mileva about a week to even START acting normal. Then when she was finally over the spay she injured her leg. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for asking!

TeriM
December 23rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
Glad to hear she is feeling better :thumbs up .

Prin
December 23rd, 2006, 12:54 AM
Glad she's better. The signs are so hard to notice in the beginning, eh? Good luck.:)

brandynva
December 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Glad she's better. The signs are so hard to notice in the beginning, eh? Good luck.:)

Oh most definetly! lol Thing is she IS house trained. I just let her out at regular intervals. I take her on leash at regular intervals, but she is too modest to poop on leash I think. haha I don't know if it's a trust issue or what. She also likes to stand touching me, which makes it difficult to use the facilities. Sooo, just a few more days and she's back to her routine. I hope...

angeldogs
December 23rd, 2006, 03:10 AM
good to hear she doing better.