Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dear god … its pyo.

Esaunders
December 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Took Maddy to the new vet today, who is WONDERFUL by the way. Anyone within driving distance of Guelph Line/401 in need of a good, fair & pressure-free vet clinic, PM me for contact info.

Proper checks for UTI done, nothing found … then the x-rays. Classic pyometra uterine enlargement on the xray. So, she's staying at the clinic tonight on IV antibiotics and emergency surgery first thing in the morning. If I'm lucky, I won’t get her home until Friday. (I refuse to think of the alternatives)

Thank god she's bounced back from the antibiotics over the past 11 days plus the force-feeding has her weight back up to 5.6lbs from 5.2. At least she's a decent surgical risk now, unlike last week.

Prayers & good thoughts for my sweet little cat? We're hoping to God nothing ruptures on the table.

dogcatharmony
December 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
My prayers and thoughts are with you. I hope every thing goes well and kitty can be healthy again!!

springermom0406
December 20th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Awww hun I'm sorry. I had a scare of pyo after Jasmine came out of her heat. Thank God it wasn't but...

Will keep you and Maddy in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery!! :fingerscr

CyberKitten
December 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Oh my, your poor girl!! Did you get her from a rescue or someone who had not bothered to spay her? If so, you should certainly give them a few "words"! I hope she will be OK!! This is just one of the many many reasons female cats must be spayed and I am sad to see it happen to your kitty!!

My own Siamese is a purebred Show Quality cat and I had her spayed as fast as possible. I was not certain I wanted to go through the show circuit and while there were a few good mentors (Those are so hard to find, even among accredited breeders and those who show their kitties), I just did not want to risk anything - even a pregnancy. (and while I am not a vet, I have certainly delivered enough human babies - and been a midwife to a few feline ones too, rescues and "strays" that somehow found our home.

But pyro is serious so you and your cat have my prayers!!! I hope she'll be fine! It's great that you found a free clinic. Here's hoping they do lots of neutering and spaying and thus save the lives of many cats! :)

Esaunders
December 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM
lol ... not a free clinic by any means ... but fair and trustworthy.

I've had her for nearly 10 years. The only reason that she wasn't spayed is that up until this point, no vet could tell if she had been spayed or not and they all wanted to do surgery to find out! I wasn't having her put under the knife to find out "ooops, nothing there"

Evidently a simple blood test or X-ray would have done the trick. Unfortunately neither option was presented. So ... here we are.

Skryker
December 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM
:candle: Thinking good thoughts for Maddy and you. :grouphug:

mummummum
December 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
:grouphug: :pawprint: :pray: Good , healing vibes to you sweet Maddy & :grouphug: 's to you ~ MMM, Bridie, Ceili & Declan

Frenchy
December 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Good luck sweet Maddie :fingerscr

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
:fingerscr and :grouphug: for you and Maddie.

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 01:15 AM
Fingers and paws crossed for a quick recovery :) .

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM
I hope all goes well. Good luck with everything:grouphug:

Esaunders
December 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
The good news ... she sailed through the surgery without issue & woke up perky.

The bad news ... the uterus was swollen & riddles with tumors. Looked like a pyo uterus but was practically solid with them. :sad:

A biopsy is being done ... but odds of benign are pretty slim.

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Did / Can they take out the uterus ?

Esaunders
December 21st, 2006, 11:47 AM
Yes. No point in leaving it in there like a ticking time bomb.

Frenchy
December 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
If it hasn't spread, everything COULD be allright ! :fingerscr :pray:

Prin
December 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
Good luck Esaunders. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

Skryker
December 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: Good luck. Sorry it turned out to be not good news. :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
December 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Sorry to hear :( Good luck with everything:grouphug:

chico2
December 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
ESaunders,:fingerscr :fingerscr for you and Maddy,hopefully removing the uterus will do the trick and she'll be fine:pray:

rainbow
December 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
I agree with Frenchy....if the cancer hasn't spread outside of the uterus then everything could be alright. :fingerscr :grouphug: Good luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr

TeriM
December 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Thinking good thoughts for Maddie and your family :candle: .

jawert1
December 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this news ESaunders, I was hoping it would be different for you and Maddie. Like Frenchy said, if it hasn't spread past her uterus, then you may well be in the clear. You'll both be in my thoughts :fingerscr

CyberKitten
December 25th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I am so sorry to hear the news. Many prayers will be said here, My thoughts are with you and your beloved kitty! :grouphug: