Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've been caught!

vfrohloff
December 20th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I'm feeding another feral. I've seen this cat around before but not very often. It's either a female or a young male, I can't get close enough to tell. Very good looking too, white with caramel/brown tabby markings. I'd noticed that Ted's (my other feral who is now almost a house cat) food was disappearing from outside when Ted was still in the house so I kind of figured I had another cat around. Last night it was a bit cold so I put some canned food out for the cat and DH busted me. He just happened to go outside for a minute (which he never does at night) and saw the food sitting there. I told him it was for Ted but he didn't buy it because Ted was already chowing down in the kitchen. Then, as if on cue, this other cat showed up and started eating the food I'd put out, right while DH was watching. :rolleyes: Figures, the first time I intentionally fed this cat and I got caught. Anyway, this cat can use Ted's shelter if he wants because I think Ted is going to start sleeping in the house soon. I'm not going to try and tame this one because I just don't have the time and I'm such a sucker that he/she would probably end up in the house. Even I can admit when enough is enough; in hindsight I probably shouldn't have brought Ted in, but I did and that is my good deed for this year. I'll keep feeding this new one though....

chico2
December 20th, 2006, 08:02 AM
and you'll probably be feeding others very soon,the"there is food at that house"message kind of spreads around quickly:love:
Thank's for doing what you are doing,there is no way these unfortunate kitties will survive the winter without a kind soul feeding them.
Many years ago,I fed a feral Tom for 3 yrs,I called him George,he would come to my deck twice/day,would never let me near him,but at least he had food in his tummy.
With the help of HS and their humane traps,we tried catching him,but to no avail,he outsmarted us all.
HS wanted to neuter him,give him shots and put him back at my house,they were not going to keep him,but then one day he came no more:sad:
I've shown this pic before,but here is my George waiting for his morning-meal..

Mahealani770
December 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Awe Chico, George was gorgeous..I'm sorry he disappeared :sad:
:candle: George:pray:

Esaunders
December 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I think you're doing a good thing. We had a whole series of ferals appear over the years when I lived in NS.

First were our 2 barn kitties. Near twin dark tortiseshell-tabby sisters from my coaches barn, delivered with the words "Wild kitties, never to be touched" My mom fixed that pretty quick. They lived in the barn but came down to the house whenever they wanted. We lost one sister to Feline Luk. Years ago but the other sister has gone from NS to Ontario to Calgary with my sister and is still taking down rabbits at 17 years old

Then there a few that came and went, they'd hide in the barn, munch on the cat food & go down to our neighbours for gourmet lunches. (She'd put out everything from wet cat food to fresh chicken to the occasional lobster for the ferals in back.)

One that came and stayed was Buster the giant gray tabby. Huge, fat, with a squinty eye coolest cat I ever met, a feline (older) Marlon Brando. Eventually moved in to the neighbours to sleep wedged (and I mean WEDGED) into an antique baby cradle. He was a whale, complete with fat feet and fat wrinkles in his forehead but SO cute. He'd roll over like a seae otter to ask for a belly rub and would tell you enough by lightly dragging his paw down your forearm. You'd look down and realize you were bleeding but never feel it, he kept his claws that sharp. Evil little monster did it on purpose too. As soon as he'd finish shredding you, he'd roll back over asking for a belly rub. Never could put him on a diet, he'd go hunting to supplement. Buster died of old age a few years ago,

Another was a gorgeous long-haired calico named Cookie, she still lives with the neighbours & one of her daughters Anna (from before she was fixed) lived with us for years and moved back 'back home' with the mom and the neighbours after our barn cat moved to Ontario. Both are still next-door, fluffy and happy.

There were others that we couldn't quite tame enough to catch but the barn was a warm refuge for any that needed it and next-door was home to any cat that chose to accept it.

vfrohloff
December 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
Awww, George was a real cutie. This feral I'm feeding doesn't seem as wild as Ted was. When I first met Ted it took me a long time before he would even be within 10 feet of me. This feral came within about 3 feet of me last night when I put the food down, and didn't display the usual hissing and spitting theatrics that come along with a wild cat. It also sat under my car for a while and meowed at me; I'm guessing this is either one REALLY starving cat or it's one that's been dumped. Still can't tell if it's a female or young male. It looks like a tom cat that was around at the beginning of the summer, he had a few rounds with Ted at the time and then didn't come back for a while. It has to be the same cat because his markings are a bit unusual. However,the face, neck, and general stance lead me to think it may be a female. It always has it's tail down so I can't see what is back there. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

chico2
December 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM
I would really love to see some pics,hope you can manage to get some,thank's for caring:angel:

vfrohloff
December 22nd, 2006, 07:16 AM
Well, no pics, he ran away before I could get any. It's a male, I was able to shine the flashlight on him as he was running away and he's got a full set. ;) I must say I'm a little relieved that he's a male because the thought of a pregnant female lurking around freaks me out. The absolute last thing I need right now is a litter of kittens :eek: So I guess I'll try and get him into a cage at some point and have him neutered. He's not very healthy though, he's got some respiratory problem going on and wheezes a lot so I don't know if it would be safe to neuter him right now. I suspect he's had some kind of human contact at one point in his life because he doesn't seem very afraid of me. He's hesitant, but not scared. At any rate, I'm going to try not to tame him because it seems that as soon as I build any kind of relationship with a cat they end up in my house. :shrug: I think I'll call him Maurice.

chico2
December 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Oh,oh...no more "the cat"now he's Maurice:D :cat:
Soon to have a nice warm place to call home:D

rainbow
December 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Maurice and Ted......sounds good together. :D

vfrohloff
December 23rd, 2006, 08:08 AM
I was going to call him Morris, but it's very french speaking out where we are so I figured Maurice was more appropriate. Still no pics though, I didn't want to lure him out into the freezing rain last night so I fed him under the house. He slept under the back porch last night in Ted's shelter. Yep, that means Ted slept in the house.:D I put him in his own room though because he seems to have a tendency to be a bit of a terrorist when I'm not watching. I heard him meowing a couple of times in the night, but there's no evidence of destruction or spraying so I think he'll get used to it after a few nights. I made up a little bed for him and it appears that he slept in it, so that's good. Hopefully after a while I can just leave him loose in the house at night but he has to learn his place in the household first. That has been established pretty well with 2 of my cats, but not with the other 2 yet.

vfrohloff
December 24th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Well, here's an update on Ted. We have to backtrack with him a little bit. He's been spending a lot of time inside, seemingly with few problems, however I discovered last night that someone is peeing on my livingroom carpet. I'm pretty sure it's not Ted because he sticks close to me all day and he never ventures into the livingroom, so it means it's one of the other four. I suspect Martin because it's right next to the chair he sleeps on, but without having seen anyone do it I can't be sure. At any rate, somebody isn't happy about Ted. I have also noticed that as Ted becomes more comfortable in the house he has become more of a bully, especially to Petunia. The others will defend themselves quite well with lots of hissing and spitting, but Petunia is more timid and Ted seems to enjoy intimidating her. So, I think Ted can spend more time outside for now, especially with the warm weather we've been having. When he does come inside he will have to be confined to the computer room. It's not fair to me or the other cats to have him in the house wreaking havoc. I'll put up with a ton of stuff, but the one thing I won't have is cats peeing in my house. Too bad, I had hoped it would go better but c'est la vie I guess.