Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jumping

Janellieann
December 20th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Hello all,

I would like to ask opinions on a training issue I can't seem to get my dog Bander to stick to. He is a 1 year old Lab/Rott mix and naturally very hyper and friendly. That isn't a problem because he has been very receptive to all other aspects of training we have taught him, but he won't stay down. Whenever he sees a person, he gets excited and wants to greet them more on their level and automatically jumps up on them, especially if he knows them. It is embarassing when he feels the need to jump up and say hi to some stranger or the pizza delivery guy because he thinks that everyone is his friend. Now I know part of this is my boyfriend's fault, because when Bander was little he used to pat his chest to get Bander to jump up to greet him, but when he started getting 85 and now 100 pounds, that type of greeting isn't so welcome anymore, especially to me because he can knock me down if he catches me off guard! Any suggestions on how to break this bad habit?

GermanShepLove
December 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM
up until quite recently Sable, my one year old GSD, had the same habit. She would jump on anyone she saw or was eager to greet, be it the delivery man, someone passing by the hallway, even people in the same elevator as her.

the trick i do is, when we go out for a walk and someone comes to pet her, i would put her in a sit position and step on the leash. That way she can't jump, despite how hard she tries.

at home without the leash, i practise the "off" command with her. In the beginning she refused to listen, because she got so excited when my boyfriend comes home... so our trainer taught us a new way to address the issue.

Answer: can filled with coins.

Make sure that your dog never sees it, or hears it behind your back. So when you call him and Bander comes to jump, stomp your foot and shake the can of coins behind real hard, giving a firm "off".

Takes several practice. It worked with Sable... the firm stomping and shaking of the coins in the can stopped her from jumping.

Janellieann
December 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I will try that, thank so much for the advice! I'll let you know how it goes!