Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who is your pet's favorite family?

TeriM
December 20th, 2006, 02:05 AM
So I'm curious, for those of us lucky enough to share some pet duties I just wondered ... Who is the caregiver? Who is the disciplinarian? Who does your pet love the most? Who would get custody of the animals if you weren't together?

For me:
I'm the primary caregiver although hubby is good at feeding, walking (if he is home) and always has poop patrol if we walk together (because I clean up the other 5 days per week!). I do all the brushing, nail clipping, ear cleaning etc. but he does the puke cleanup (sorry Prin) because I have a very weak tummy for that stuff. I am the disciplinarian, he lost that battle with our first dog a long time ago :D and it's not looking great for Riley. Desi (cat) often prefers him when looking for a cuddle but all the animals are pretty equal opportunity but I think I am probably first choice mainly because I spend the most time with them. He never had any animals until I came along and I think I would get custody but would have to give him visitation.

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM
hmm... I'd get custody for sure.

I'm the disciplinarian and the primary caregiver (food, vet, nails, baths, day to day care)...

He's the backup.. He takes care of them when I'm overwhelmed. He's also the player... They don't really play with me alone.:o He also picks up the puke that I can't. I usually can, but when it's human food (sorry everybody), I can't.

I have the respect, he gets the love.:o

I originally got Jemma for me because Boo was so attached to him. But then Boo went independent and Jemma got even more attached to him than Boo ever was. So there's still no doggy for me.:D Well, Boo's mine, I guess... Jemma loves me, but adores her daddy.

erykah1310
December 20th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I'd be getting custody thats for sure, Guy has never really been left alone with everyone and can not stomache poop patrol at all. :D
More or less, Guy would have them at christmas every other year and on holidays.:D so long as they didnt poop:D

Hunter's_owner
December 20th, 2006, 08:13 AM
With Hunter's separation anxiety, I think it would have to remain shared custody. I am the lover, lol, Hunter comes to me for cuddles and to be petted when he is sad. My man is the player, he can play with Hunter rougher than I can and Hunter likes that. I am the feeder and we are both walkers. He is the poop picker upper:o but I am the puke cleaner upper (sorry). We share the bills for the most part, but I end up buying more, because I always feel he needs a new toy:rolleyes:

With Cassie, she's mine all mine:D She was my brother's, but he had to go away to Alberta, so she just ended up staying with me, and that was fine, because she always liked me more anyway:) She likes my brother and all, and she also likes my bf, but she is a really cuddly dog, and I am a person who really enjoys cuddling with dogs, so it works out great:)

brandynva
December 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
In our house, Mileva is solely her daddy's. Whenever he's around nobody else exists. She does love me and comes to me for cuddles, but it's him that is the sun in her universe.

The other two are mine. Roscoe is to me what Mileva is to hubby. I can't take two steps without him right behind me. Sasha knows she's mine too, but she's a little less discriminatory. However, I do all the feeding, walking, loving etc. Funny thing is, Mike went to pet her the other day and she peed all over herself. She's not used to him paying attention to her. So he has been making more of an effort to pet her and stuff. It's cute.

Otis prefers hubby's lap, although mine is more cushiony. :D He loves my daughter too. She takes care of him. His food and litter box are in her room and she makes sure if he escapes out the door she goes and gets him. She's teh only one he'll let near him when he gets outside. I think he knows she feeds him. lol

So, in conclusion, Mileva would go to dad, but I'd have to see her. The other 3 would go with me and he would prolly care less. hehe Let's hope it never comes to that though. :pray:

chico2
December 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
In my house,the custodian would be me,hubby cuddles,gives treats,takes the cats outside,loves going for walks with Bailey.
But when it comes to,litter-boxes,dog-poop,vomit,feeding etc,it's me and only me:D
If I was not around anymore,he'd have to hire a litterbox-cleaner-person:cat:

Skryker
December 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Hmmmm. Well, I'm primary caregiver and cleaner-upper, although it takes 2 to do the dog's nails-when they're sleeping! My husband is the prime disiplinarian, though-they listen to me to a point, but totally obey him. I think the animals love everyone about the same and take turns sleeping on everyone. The cat is mine, mine, mine but sleeps happily in hubby's armpit all day. :shrug:

I guess the dogs are clingier with me since I spend the most time with them but they go nuts every morning in the car when my guy comes out of work. And is Fingal is in the car when I drop my daughter off at school, he whines like crazy as see walks away from the car.

If (knock on wood) it came to a split, I would probably get all the animals but they'd miss their daddy something awful.

Frenchy
December 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM
me.....me .....and me again ! :D

Rottielover
December 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Oh that is easy....me....Mind you kayla is coming in close 2nd, she feeds him, waters, give cookies, and treats, plays with him.....I am the alpha, that is why he loves me more, but if he had his way, I think he would allow Kayla to take over

joeysmama
December 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Cooper is pretty fair minded with the family. I think he knows I'm Mommy though. He was at the groomer this morning and it wore him out so he's cuddled up on my lap right now. And I get more snuggle time.

Tom does more of the outside stuff, picking up the poopies etc., and he plays with him at least as much as I do if he has the time. He likes my son too.

But when my daughter comes home on breaks he goes crazy. He's so happy I think he's going to burst. He scampers and cries for her attention. If anyone else gets near her to hug her and say welcome home he wiggles in there and cries until he has her attention again.

Both Tom and I know that he needs discipline and we both think the OTHER one should give it to him. "No more table food" means "Don't you give him anymore food because I want to be the one to give him the food and get him to like me more." Yeah we vy for his attention. It's sad but true !:o

Byrd
December 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Me, myself, and I!!!

mummummum
December 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I hear ya Byrd ! My worry of course is...what happens if there is no me. :sad: I have money set aside for that "little glitch" but not a who & where anymore.

Byrd
December 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I've told my mom that if anything happens to me to contact Willow's trainer and she will find a suitable home for her.... perhaps even keep her herself. I know that she would find somewhere where Willow would be well looked after, loved, and get to do all her doggy sports. I prefer this option over having a family memeber take her, because she is a sports dog, and I want her to remain a sporting dog. I know all will be well with Willow if there is no me.

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 10:14 PM
omg, this is the cutest! I love Fingal.:cloud9:
And is Fingal is in the car when I drop my daughter off at school, he whines like crazy as see walks away from the car.

mummummum
December 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Prin hunny...lingerie is on Floor 2, this is hardware :D

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 10:19 PM
LOL Everywhere is lingerie, mum. EVERYWHERE.:D

wdawson
December 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
the cats are my wife and daughters.........dogs are mine....they are my shadow.....until spca comes for the abuse call they been getting lately..:D

Golden Girls
December 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Shared pet duties :frustrated:

9. Don't worry about it, I got it: Another dangerous statement,
meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times,
but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking "what's
wrong", for the woman's response refer to # 3

To fully reply MOI :D

Daisy2943
December 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM
I would defienetly get custody probably because i would fight tooth and nail for them. My husband wouldn't even know how to take care of them!! Lol. He knows that mysteriously all the four legged creatures in our house get feed but he doesn't know when or even where the dog food is. Hes primary function as far as the dogs know is to annoy me :p and some one to play with. BUt as far as daisy is concerned hes the one she bites lol

Colubridz
December 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'm primary care giver for all of the pets in our house and my daily duties include dog walking, feeding, grooming, playing, training, poop pickeruper on walks, cat litter box scooping, cat grooming, cat playing and cat feeding, Bird cage cleaning, bird socilization and play giver, bird food preparer and bird snuggler, reptile mister, reptile feeder and reptile cage cleaner. My mom will walk Duke occasionally for me if I'm busy and feed the cats now and then but mainly they get all of the easy jobs like playing with the Max, Mitten ( cats) , Duke ( puppy) and Cyrus (Senegal Parrot)

But thats ok I enjoy having them all around:)
Kayla

LynLyn
December 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I am the sun, moon and stars in Bowser's world. I would get him in a custody battle. I walk him (with hubby if it's dark out) i clean poop, i bathe him (not by choice he jumps in my showers), and i cook for him.

daddy disciplines...

bowser loves mommy cause whenever he's bad daddy does the yelling, mommy gives the cuddles

Byrd
December 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I would defienetly get custody probably because i would fight tooth and nail for them.

What really sucks is that according to court dogs are considered chattle and have to be divided up like property. There is no 'custody' no 'child support', nothing. Judges will generally laugh if a couple goes to court to fight for the custody of a dog. Believe me, I went through it with Willow. Luckily I had what lawyers consider 'proof of ownership' I paid all her bills (vet, food, etc) and I did it with Visa. :thumbs up That's the only way legally to get custody, unfortunately.