Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens think my dog is their mom

Dracko
December 20th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I'm pretty sure my 2 kittens think my dog is their mom. At first I thought they were snuggling with him cuz they wanted his warmth, etc. It was so cute. Then the youngest, Smitty, has started to suck on his belly. I am not 100% sure if she is trying to nurse on a nipple or what. I've tried to see but she usually puts his head under his leg so I can't. Dracko will tolerate it until it hurts, then he uses his nose and shoves him. Smitty will go back and try to do it all over again, round and round. It was my bf would pointed out maybe they think he is their mom. I know the kittens have always liked him. Smitty shows absolutely no fear of him (he's a GSD so much, much larger than her) and he can do anything to her when they play and she loves it.

Do you think it's possible for kittens to get attached to a dog viewing it as a mother like that? You can't keep the kittens (esp Smitty) away from him. He was 4 months old when we got him, btw, so I don't think it's that he was weaned too soon.

Oh well, I think it's cute and if something happened to Dracko, Smitty and Ginkgo would be heartbroken.

Here is a picture taken a couple months ago with Ginkgo and Dracko on DRACKO's bed. You can see who is in charge.

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/3973/ginkgodrackoyd3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Copper'sMom
December 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
it is really cute the kittens suckling on dogs - my mom has a kitten that loves my Pit Bull, Copper. He's always snuggling and sucking on him. Copper will tolerate it as well and lets the kitten know when he's had enough.

I would discourage this behaviour though. It could come to the point where the dog gets really annoyed and may accidently or purposely hurt the kitten. After all, they are animals and will do what they have to do to make the unwanted behaviour stop for good!

Dracko
December 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM
Yes, I have been trying to discourage the kitten cuz I know that Dracko may get pissed off one day. The cat is really stubborn, though. You take him away and next thing he is right back there trying to slip his head under Dracko's leg. Dracko will curl up in a ball to avoid him sucking on his belly. It's laughable, but I am trying to respect Dracko's feelings, too.

Kristin7
December 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
I love your pic of the cat hogging the dog bed, cute! My cat Annie has pretty much taken over the house and everything else and does make herself comfortable on the dog's bed as well, but not while the dog is in it. I think your cat really likes Dracko and maybe does see him as a big mom type figure. Who knows. My other cat Micki sometimes kneads in my hair and sleeps on my head probably like when she was a kitten. It's cute, unless I have neglected to clip her nails, ouch!