Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Planters Warts

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know what a planters wart looks like,. I think my son may have one. :(

He just showed me the bottom of his foot - it has a raised circular hard bump on it and small black dots in the middle of the circle - and he says its hard to walk on. :(

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Sounds like it to me...

What I used to do when I was little was get wart juice, nail polish around the warty area and then put the juice on the warty area. The next day, you scrape away the dead bits and reapply the juice. Eventually, you either get to the bottom of the wart, or you have to go in and get it zapped with liquid nitrogen.

Be sooo careful and make him wear socks all the time because they're very contagious.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM
thanks I think I have wart juice.:o

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 11:07 PM
lol :D It's the stinky stuff... Smells like a man's nailpolish would if they made nailpolish specifically for men.:D

The deeper you get, the more virus there is and the more contagious they are, as far as I know.:o

TeriM
December 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Supposedly the home remedy for warts is duct tape. Just keep changing the tape daily and the wart disappears.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Supposedly the home remedy for warts is duct tape. Just keep changing the tape daily and the wart disappears.

Wow duct tape - the wonder tool :D

I actually read about that on the Net - thanks. ;)

rainbow
December 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hugs for your son. :grouphug: I think the fastest way would be to go to the doctor and get it zapped off. :o

~michelle~
December 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM
i got some when i was a wee kid :( the liquid nitrogen didnt help(i had really bad ones) i used stuff called soluver (or somthing like that) it comes in a nail polish like bottle and they were gone within a week and a half

trippincherri
December 21st, 2006, 11:32 AM
It could be a wart or it could be a corn.

Either way get the doctor to have a look at it, plus they have this new liquid stuff to put on warts.
Not the liquid nitrogen stuff though, the new liquid is painless when applied and takes 1-2 applications to kill the wart virus!! Which is a lot better then several applications of the nitrogen.
Ask your doctor about this....he/she should know what your talking about.

CyberKitten
December 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
While it "sounds" like a plantar's wart, my advice is that he see his pediatrician to make certain. Plantar's warts can be very painful and they are very difficult to get rid of. I have seen more than a few in my lifetime - and people would come in having wasted lots of time with OTC stuff when in reality that may seem like it is gone fo awhile but IF (and I stress the IF part) it is a PW, that stuff (like compound W which is little more than salicylic acid and some other minor ingredients) is useless. That said, no treatment is totally effective. Plantar's warts tend to appear at the bottom of the foot and because of that tend to create pressure, adding to the pain and nuisance. They are usually small, fleshy and grainy - kind of a rough surface on the skin.

If you are not squeamish, there is a relatively easy way of ascertaining if it is a plantar's wart of a corn. Since corns do not have a source of blood supply, if you "pare" them with a knife (even just something not too sharp), they will not bleed. P Warts do have a blood supply and they will bleed. That is usually one way most family docs actually determine whether a small bump that has such a differential diagnosis is a plantar's wart. The best way is to take a sample however and send it to a lab to be absolutely certain but if it bleeds, it is a plantar's wart

Most family docs and pediatricians can treat them and this is the basic line of defence, if I can put it like that because it can be a battle - is:

1. Cryosurgery(ie using something like liquid nitrogen to excise the wart - very non invasive) , intralesional immunotherapy (in this case anti microbial meds, some of which have side effects, esp for kids - if you recall the probs some kids had with retinal A a few yrs back. Many were taking that for acne and it has too many unwanted side effects for my liking) , or pulsed dye laser therapy in which the wart or warts are removed with a laser.

2. Surgery which means getting right to the root and cutting it out.
and if that does not work, surgical removal. It involves outpatient minor surgery and should be done by someone who knows what they are doing if you do not want a scar. In this case, ironically - the minor "old fashioned" surgery takes less time than the laser surgery which can require several trips to the doc. Neither are that painful.

3. Bleomycin - a med we actually use in chemo. Clearly, it has side effects as well.

There are other meds used as well. And in 2002 (I think - I'd have to check my med journals), a study actually showed that duct tape worked quite well. But it was long and protracted and people had to go through a laborious process of soaking the foot, covering the wart with tape and then scraping it with emery boards. Some pediatricians have been using this when young children are afraid of the needles used in the minor surgery, usually in combination with other meds. We laugh and call it the Red Green Therapy. Its downside is that it takes about 2 mos and of course, there is always the possibility it will come back. 9If you use sac acide, it will come back tho the good news is some of them disappear on their own for no known reason - one can only assume this is the case with people who have a superb immune system or maybe there is no real reason.

I myself had a plantar's wart when I was about 14. I went to my family doc who lived up the street, an old fashioned kind of doc who still made home visits. Before I had time to think about it, he had taken out a knife and appeared the thing right off. Alas, you do have to get the roots and a few yrs later, it was baaaack!! I was at a university summer course in another country and opted for the minor surgery. I have never seen one since.

However, please see your doctor or pediatrician before you decide to do anything!!! S/he will have your son's medical records and know what is best for him. I do know that if I ever had one again - unlikely since I had the roots and all removed and that was more yrs ago than I care to say, lol - I would have the same surgery in a heart beat. No messing around with retinal and other meds and all their side effects and as much fun as the "Red Green " notion sounds, I am not a child and it would drive me nuts - I am not certain I have the patience to take an emory board to that every night, etc,. etc. when I can have it removed in less than an hour. If your son hates needles, the laser works well but even there, I have seen them return. (and that is after I have sent a patient to a dermatologist).

I guess I am old fashioned when it comes to these things. But PLEASE find out first what it is. You might want to wait and see if it goes away and if it does not, if it causes pain and seems a horrible nuisance , if it multiplies ir changes in colour or starts to change in any way (I don't want to scare you but I have seen some teenagers come in whose parents thought their adolescent had a plantar's wart and it actually was a neoplastic lump. In 99% of situations tho, it is going to be a corn or pw and this one sounds like it is not doing anything unusual so I highly doubt it is anything serious). Plantar's warts- as a virus - can spread and can multiply, developing into "mosaics" and becoming very painful and even more difficult to cope with.

So - try the corn vs pw "test" (even a tiny sterilized pin prick might work, pour lots of alcohol or betadine on the pin before using it) if you wish but please see your doctor if it does not look right. And maybe your doc can do simply take a culture and you won't have to worry about trying anything if you do not like blood et al. And PLEASE PLEASE see your doc if it starts to look like a mole , oozes, etc - you know what I mean? You know how we always tell ppl to take their pets to the vet. You live in BC - it will cost nothing to see your doctor, other than your taxes of course. ;)

Good luck!! I hope it goes away by itself and you won't have to go to the doctor but even if you do, it is not a serious problem. It can be merely a frustrating one. (ie as opposed to more serious options.) (I guess I think of myself because I have melanoma which is a form of skin cancer and I am an almost evangelic lobbyist ensuring ppl do something about skin lesions and lumps. My brother's best friend died at the age of 21 of melanoma - and it was a small lump that began on his hand. He thought it was nothing but did go to the doctor in time but melanoma is the worst kind of skin cancer and often metastasizes. (It usually begins with a tiny mole that oozes and bleeds, not like a wart at all). I never spent that much time in the sun - as in just to get a tan but you don't have to. I have white Irish or Northern European skin and all it took seemingly was swimming, biking and playing as a kid in and age before we knew enough about sun screens and wearing hats. And I always burned before I tanned.

Anyway - I won't get on THAT topic. It's a whole other issue.

Take care!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks CK just read your post now - I already tried the liquid Nitrogen on beacause I was convinced it was a wart small hard circular bump with little brown dots in the middle - but I will take him to the walk in clinic tommorow and get them to take a look at it.

I dont think my son would be very good about scraping the bottom off it - he's really squeamish about things like that. :)

They must going around cause I went two different drug stores to try too find something as one was all sold out.

My son takes swim lessons so I think he got it from either the pool deck or maybe in the change room.