Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh, dear! There's something living in my garage

Skryker
December 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
And it appears to be an abandoned cat. :sad: He's an orange Tom cat (and probably not neutered.) I know that I saw him around in the summer, but he was skittish of me then, and he looked like he was a good size and looked after. I'm sure he used to live in one of the apartments on the other side of the street.

Well, several of those apartments have changed tenants in the last few months. And the dogs have been very interested in the one side of the garage for the last couple of weeks (thought maybe a squirrel or mouse had gone in there), Today, the orange guy was crouched down just outside the garage when I went out, and still there 2 hours later when I came home. He hissed at me when I first approached him but ran right over to me when I bent down and rubbed my fingers together and called him. :mad: He's scrawny as heck! Poor guy. He seems used to people and let me pet him so I'm sure he used to be a pet. I think someone moved out and left him behind.

Since he came to me so readily, I'm going to start feeding him and gain his trust. Then, I'll see if I can get him into a cat carrier and take him to the SPCA, since as far as I know, they are a no kill shelter. I'll check that to make sure before I take him there. I imagine he needs shots, neutered and he sounded like he was wheezing a bit. :fingerscr I can get him soon and get him some help.

Any advice from people who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Good luck! Sorry, I don't have any worthwhile advice...:o

badger
December 19th, 2006, 11:14 PM
You are very kind to take care of this poor boy. Can you make him some kind of shelter? Good food on a regular basis will really help. I mix warm water with my stray's food (don't we all have one?), so I'm sure he's getting at least some liquid, and to warm up his insides.
Before taking him to the SPCA, you might look around and see if there's a rescue in your area that has space. I'm not acquainted with the Cornwall SPCA - and it may be your only option in the end - but they are often overcrowded and germ-y and even no-kill shelters might euthanize the sick ones rather than treat them.

Here's a list of rescues in Ontario. There doesn't seem to be any in Cornwall, maybe close by?

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi

TeriM
December 20th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Poor guy :sad: . I also don't have any advice other than maybe trying to provide a warm, safe spot if it gets real cold. Good luck.

Skryker
December 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'll be putting a sturdy box and some old blankets out there today. And if the temp drops a lot, I can maybe coax him inside to the empty upstairs apartment (and hope he knows how to use a litterbox) and confine him in a room up there.

My husband is saying "Oh, for the love of everything holy! Not again! Why have my gods forsaken me!"-which is his way of saying, I think we're getting a new cat. :D Since Dancer doesn't get along with other cats very well, and I don't know how this guy would do with dogs, I'm still planning on finding a rescue type situation for him, but my man doesn't believe me. :o He just accused me of taking shameless avantage of his inability to say no to me. :evil: (He also just told me I pout when he says no. I do NOT!!!).

chico2
December 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Awww Skryker,I think I like your husband,a sucker for a pout:love:
I am really glad I have no strays around here,unlike Badger who valiantly tries to help every poor abandoned cat in the neighborhood:thumbs up
I would probably turn in to a crazy cat-lady:Din no-time
I would definetly feed this poor little soul,give him a warm place to sleep,how could I not:sad:
He chose your house for a reason,maybe with some love and care,he will become more sociable and adoptable.
I know there are no-kill shelters,but if they get a semiferal,unaltered male,maybe with healthproblems,his fate might be sealed.
Hopefully you'll find a place for him:fingerscr

Skryker
December 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think that he will take much to be adoptable, chico. He came right over to me yesterday with very little coaxing and was purring as I was petting him. I think he wants people. :sad:

chico2
December 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Oh,Oh...Skryker has another kitty:love:
Maybe he's lost,someone might be looking for him..

cpietra16
December 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Is congrats....too early:D It's hard to say no to a purrer:cloud9:

Esaunders
December 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
:D
My guy would be out there feeding, patting and saying "Can we keep him" He's even more of a sucker for an animal face than I am. (Part of why I love him :love: )

Although animals take SHAMELESS advantage of him ... they adore him but don't obey him in the least ;)

congratz on the new kitty? :p

Frenchy
December 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Whatever you do, thanks for helping him ! :grouphug:

Skryker
December 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I put a sturdy box and some blankets out there today, and made sure to put the box raised up off the ground so hopefully it won't get wet.

Haven't seen the orange guy at all today, though. :sad: Hope nothing happened to him. I have to see him to feed him because so many people around here let their cats run loose, food left out in the garage probably won't get to the orange guy. (In fact, everytime I checked the garage today, one of my neighbour's cats was in there. And he's plenty fat enough without me feeding him, too!)

The SPCA is off the list. The wording on their website has changed; everything is dependent on availible space. Understandable, since they have only so much room and funding, but I won't take the risk that I spend weeks getting this guy to trust me, only to have him put down. Soooooo, I'll work on getting him inside upstairs while trying to find a spot for him (which will probably be here, if he checks out healthy and everyone gets along. lol-when I was talking to my husband earlier, I said that I always start out just wanting to help strays, and then I end up wanting to keep them. He wanted to know if that's what I did with him!:crazy: ).

BMDLuver
December 21st, 2006, 05:13 AM
Try Kelli of Westminister Pet Sanctuary. She's about an hour from you but in Cornwall quite often. They just built a new cat area I believe so maybe she'll have a spot for this orange fellow? http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON149.html

Skryker
December 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks, BMDLuver. I'll give her a try if the orange guy comes around. So far, I haven't seen him but the box in the garage has been slept in. If it comes to it, I wouldn't mind driving up to Ottawa to give him a safe place and a chance.

Skryker
January 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Just an update-sadly (or :fingerscr happily?) I haven't seen this orange guy since I posted this. I keep checking the garage-when we had snow, I saw paw-prints out there, but with so many neighbourhood cats, I can't tell what cat it is. There's still a sturdy box with blankets out there, and I put food out. I'm probably just feeding my neighbour's cats, but still....:candle: for the orange cat. I hope he found somewhere safe and warm. :pray:

Frenchy
January 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I hope so too Skryker :fingerscr at least he had some good meals thanks to you.

chico2
January 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Skryker,hopefully someone else took mercy on him,or maybe he really did have a home,lets think positive:fingerscr
I would probably still keep putting a little food out,maybe buy the cheap stuff,just in case....luckily the weather is not too cold,good for all the abandonned little guys out there.
I just hate people who can just up and leave a poor cat to fend for himself,I hope carma catches up with them one day:pray: