Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats up with this?

erykah1310
December 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Why is every second commercial on tv about some form of drug you should ask your doctor about???? and they all have some "mild" side effects such as ... vomiting, diareah, dizziness, dry mouth, loss of bowel control, temporary blindness, insanity? ( k the last three i made up, but some of the symptoms are freaky)
And it doesnt even tell you what the drugs are for??? Like Celebrex??? WTF is Celebrex? and why should i ask my doctor about it???:shrug:
And theres " Julies story" too, why should i ask my doctor about Julie?:shrug: Who is she, what was wrong with her?

Some funky marketing tactics by pharmacudical companies if you ask me. I dont remember those kind of ads being on tv before????

My little rant of the day.;)

Skryker
December 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I know what you mean! And the American ones especially make the potential for side effects sound far worse than what you're taking the drug for. :shrug: Jeez, I kinda hope my Dr is up on the latest and best medications without me bringing them up.:evil:

brandynva
December 19th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Celebrex is a newer med for arthritis. I believe it is acetametophine based. :D (my dad took it for his bum hip a couple of years ago)

erykah1310
December 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
K so we have celebrex down now, but what is Julies story?
Thats thats insane, my aunt is a hypocrondriac ( dang if know how to spell it lol) this kind of thing is NOT good for her. She gets intrigued by these new medications and the cycle starts over for her.:( Its really sad to see.:sad:

I really dont think they should be advertising things like that on tv or anywhere acutally, like Skryker said, you would hope that your doctor is up on the latest available things and you wouldnt have to bring it up.:shrug:

The "trouble sleeping " advertisment freaks me right out, the side effects are horrendous!!!:eek: I think i will take a few sleepless nights sooner than deal with the "possible side effects":eek:

chico2
December 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I find it's mostly American stations that give you ALL the possible side-effects,I would have to be really sick to try any of those.
Here,when you get meds from Shoppers Drugmart,it seems the side-effect list seems pretty standard for anything you take:frustrated: can't be right either!
Hubby almost died from taking meds with Sulpha(sp?)a couple of years ago, nobody told us anything about any dangers..

erykah1310
December 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM
After my gallbladder removal i was prescribed these HORSE pills and the biggest warning on the bottle was avoid the sun.:eek: I was terrified, i didnt know why i had to stay out of the sun and keep the sun away from me, nothing was really explained.:frustrated:
(Perhaps if i wasnt an evil person when i come out of anesthetic they would have told me, but i get kinda nasty:o I kinda freaked out when they were gonna send me home with T3's... I snapped and said " I take these for (^&%%)&*^%^%^%^&%^%%$$$^&(** headaches):o about 2 hours after i wake up from surgery im much calmer:o My dad said I was always like that, i had 7 sets of tubes in my ears, and my tonsils removed, i would "fly off the handle" as a kid too.:shrug:

Skryker
December 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I believe that Julie's Story is for a medically supervised weight loss program.

chico2
December 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Erykah,Tylenol 3's with codein,knocked me out for 48hours once,I was sleeping deeply for 2 days...needless to say,no more codein for me:D

erykah1310
December 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Erykah,Tylenol 3's with codein,knocked me out for 48hours once,I was sleeping deeply for 2 days...needless to say,no more codein for me:D

I have a bit of a problem with codine :o for a while i was getting T4's:( it got to the point where they werent even doing anything for me. Needless to say its been almost a full year since ANY codiene has been in my house ( not even cough syrop:D )

Glad we have all the "stories " straightened out. :thumbs up I can be at ease now.

SARAH
December 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
NO such commercials are even allowed in Europe! I was just saying to Lewis last night that I can't understand how this can be if not legal at least adviseable! To think your doctor would know ... I wouldn't count on it, after seeing what some of those guys can do.

Headaches ... ever try magnets? I have a bracelet which keeps most pains away, but should I get a headache after all I add the necklace. Not your regular things from the corner store, these are from www.nikken.com and are really great. I used to sell the products, so I got into a lot of it, gave it up though, as most people seem to prefer getting sick and running to the doctor for chemical drugs, rather than doing some natural prevention. :sorry: ranting.

As far as medication - I have to be very much in pain to go running to a doctor and get meds. prefer more natural methods whenever possible.

mafiaprincess
December 20th, 2006, 01:56 AM
They all say ask your doctor if XX med is right for you without telling you what it does because the way the laws have been written for advertising drugs. They literally can't tell you what it does, so they tell you everything else they can, lol.

Prin
December 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah, in Canada all they can say is the name. They can't tell you anything else about it.

Drug ads bring in a ton of money. People go to the Dr and specifically ask for a certain drug and some will switch drs till they find one that will give it to them.

The biggest one I know of is Alesse. That was the biggest selling birth control pill and a lot of people (including drs) believed it was the weakest one because that's what the ads said. Not true, of course. There are a few much weaker ones out there.:rolleyes: