Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas present question

shelleyb
December 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hi, I am new to this board (have visited the training tips tho), I have a 5 month female golden named Molly. She is a really great puppy and very loved. I want to get her some stuff for Christmas (not that she needs anything) but I was wondering what you all were getting / have gotten your pets? Also, how have you wrapped it? Do you use tape? Could the tape hurt her?

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I use tape... They'd rather rip the paper more than going after the tape. But my wrapping job isn't great- it's more about leaving little sticky-outy bits for them to grab a hold of.

For Christmas, this year has been a bit of a low budget year.:o I got them each a large cuz, a little rubbery bone thing (new!) and a bag of beef lung cubes... Then again, there's still another week till Christmas..:D

SARAH
December 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Gonna get those "plastic" (really cornstarch actually) thingies with bacon flavor god-knows-what well "glued" into one side - they exist in green, blue and yellow at least - supposedly helps clean the dogs' teeth. Don't know about that, but both my dogs love those things (any supermarket has them). Miss pussycat may get a new toy, but hers are so small I'm afraid the dogs will choke on them, so she might just get a dish of canned cat-food which I never give her cause it'll get too expensive to give her that al year!

jessi76
December 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
keep in mind i don't have children yet.....

dog: nylabone, bully sticks, dog bed, black kong (our 3rd), frisbees, about 5 stuffed toys, bag of OMH biscuits, box of 3 dog bakery biscotti, a very tough chew bone rubber toy

cats: fuzzy things on strings to hang from doorknobs, a laser-motion sensor mouse (large, so dog won't choke on it), merrick wet food flavors, many treats.

yes, I wrap them all. yes, I use tape. I supervise the unwrapping frenzy. (unless he gets to them w/out me noticing!)

Rottielover
December 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Harley vet bill........
other than that, another set of OB class that he loves so much. He has a new jute, and will have to find something he can chew without choking, or obstruction. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JanM
December 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
My two Goldens will get: a smoked bison bone each, some greenies (for their teeth), some home-made doggie cookies; some freeze-dried meat cookies and I don't wrap theirs. Bobby will eat anything it is wrapped in plus what's inside :love: By the way - they won't get to eat everything at once either :dog:

Lise
December 19th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Nell and Molly are getting new stuffies.Tessa is getting liver treats.Jack is getting a new halter.Folly,Rio and Arabesque are getting horse cookies and apparently Happy is getting boots if Liz gets more babysitting jobs between now and Christmas or Mum caves in and pays for them!

PetFriendly
December 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I don't have kids either...

Charley is getting a new tug toy, a new plush toy with a squeeker, a bag of pigs ears and some booda bones.

The cats are getting salmon fillets, a new cat tree, a new large potted plant for their 'jungle' in the corner of the livingroom and a bunch of catnip filled pouches I make for them.

Nothing gets wrapped though, but the salmon and pigs ears will get dispensed in small portions.

Golden Girls
December 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I've been shopping around for dog beds but they don't seem to make them big enough for my 100 lb pure muscle golden's :shrug: and their not too cheap either

Right now they have home made dog beds - a comforter folded in half for extra padding and a sheet wrapped around it :D I'm still looking though

ShelleyB, welcome - do you have any photo's of Molly?

Colubridz
December 19th, 2006, 07:12 PM
This will be Duke's first Christmas and being 17 I deffiently don't have any kids but so far my cousin gave him he's boxers winter coat which he grew out of, my friend got him a biscut, so far I've gotten him some dentibones for him to try out, a new hard rubber/ chew throw toy with a nylon handle and I still plan on getting him a few new squeeky and plushie toys along with a new toy box and of course lots of treats and a huge special merry christmas dog biscut doggie central makes.

Here's Duke already loving his new jacket:)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/exotica_reptiles16/Duke/IMG_0565.jpg

As for all of the other pets, I got my Senegal Parrot Cyrus, some of his favourite treats as well as I'm making him some new toys and the cats are getting alot of cat nip toys and their very first cat tree:)

I wanna see lots of pics Christmas day of everyones Dogs and pets opening their presents:)

Cheers
Kayla

Frenchy
December 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
keep in mind i don't have children yet.....

dog: nylabone, bully sticks, dog bed, black kong (our 3rd), frisbees, about 5 stuffed toys, bag of OMH biscuits, box of 3 dog bakery biscotti, a very tough chew bone rubber toy

cats: fuzzy things on strings to hang from doorknobs, a laser-motion sensor mouse (large, so dog won't choke on it), merrick wet food flavors, many treats.

yes, I wrap them all. yes, I use tape. I supervise the unwrapping frenzy. (unless he gets to them w/out me noticing!)

I think I just found myself a godmother for my fuzzbutts ! :p They are getting new doggie beds but I think I will wait until after Christmas to see if they're on special. GG, have you look at Costco ? They didn't have any left today when I went but I saw some that looked big enough and they were only $22.79. I heard Roots have big doggy beds too for around $25.00 .

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, the costco beds rock! Boo has had one of his for about 3 years now. They hold up really well... Just don't get the ones with the fake wooly stuff on them. That wooly stuff just collects lint and crap and looks terrible after a while.:o

Golden Girls
December 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks Frenchy I'll try Cosco, $25 is pretty good :) Prin can u post Boo's bed, I want to compare size to what I've seen so far, thanks.

O I'd never buy any wooly - they pant enough even on the hardwood floors.

speedbunny70
December 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
The Costco beds are a big hit in our house and they're a great price too!!
I think dog beds are so over priced, but at Costco it's pretty reasonable.

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
The Costco beds are a big hit in our house and they're a great price too!!
I think dog beds are so over priced, but at Costco it's pretty reasonable.

Do you think Costco will have sales after christmas ?

heidiho
December 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
No kids here either,Roxy is gettting a pinata made out of tissue paper because tissue paper is her favorite,some new boxes because she just loves hiding in them and bringing her toys in tehm.And toys that are actually made for cats but really dont interest her at all.

Smiley14
December 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Welcome Shellyb! And what a fun topic! :)

Growing up, my Mom always humored us kids and let us wrap up all the animals little presents! Treats for the hampsters and parakeets, toy and treat for the cat, toy and treat for the dog, and treats for the rabbit. :) Every Christmas morning, after we opened up all our own presents, we'd gather up all the animals all together and let them rip or chew open their presents. The hamsters would shred the paper for their bed and even the three parakeets would pick at the paper, although those we usually had to open them up. LOL! I should dig out those old pics, haven't looked at them in years!

For some reason, I haven't wrapped their presents the last few years though. Guess I've been too lazy. :o Now I usually just hand them to them Christmas morning and let them play and chew while we open our own gifts. :)

This year, Petey is getting a little tin of assorted holiday doggie cookies and a new santa stuffie that will undoubtedly be destroyed in 10 minutes. :rolleyes: I also got him a new blue snowflake bandana with his name embroidered on it (found a cool site online!), but he's already worn it a few times for pictures and holiday parties. :)

Since Billy is sick, he's getting spoiled this year. :) He won't eat treats, but LOVES catnip, so I got him a little live catnip plant of his own to chew on. I always get after him for trying to chew the leaves on some of my plants (non-poisonous), so this is one just for him to attack all he wants! I also got him a new window bed since his is falling apart. You know, those kind that can be fitted into a window ledge, like a little hammock, so they can look outside. He loves those. I got him a couple new little chaser toys as well. He's old, but he can still play with the best of them. :)

Smiley14
December 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM

As far as I know, Costco doesn't have sales since they are already bottom-pricing. At least it seems to be that way here! :)

Stacer
December 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
We're doing the budget xmas too this year. I got them a pre-filled stocking with kitty goodies in it, and they got an all expenses paid trip to grandma and grandpa's for 8 days and 7 nights, all inclusive, all day buffets, continuous massage through out the week, extra treats from visitors, puppy playmates and 4 beds to choose from for snoozing. I'd say their xmas is pretty good.

Smiley14
December 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
We're doing the budget xmas too this year. I got them a pre-filled stocking with kitty goodies in it, and they got an all expenses paid trip to grandma and grandpa's for 8 days and 7 nights, all inclusive, all day buffets, continuous massage through out the week, extra treats from visitors, puppy playmates and 4 beds to choose from for snoozing. I'd say their xmas is pretty good.

Ohhh, can I come too? :D Sounds WONDERFUL! LOL!

Prin
December 23rd, 2006, 02:05 AM

Not usually. They usually only have stuff at a reduced price when they're changing stock (i.e. bed style) or the stuff is seasonal (like they used to have $30 gift packs for dogs that were great, and after Christmas, they went down to $9.99. :))