Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teething - when is it over?

JanM
December 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
My 14-mo Golden just lost a tooth yesterday so I'm wondering if this is normal at her age? Perhaps this is normal but if not, I'll get it checked out..

Hunter's_owner
December 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I think it is normal, but it depends on the tooth...Compare it in size to some of the bigger teeth in her mouth to see if it looks like a puppy tooth. If her gums look healthy and the tooth looks like a puppy tooth, then it is normal. As far as I know puppies teeth until a little over a year old.

4thedogs
December 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Puppies lose all their puppy teeth and gain adult by the time they are about 6 months. It is possible that your dog grew its adults but didn't lose this puppy which would have left him with a double set, puppy along adult. Check to see if all his adults are there and intact.

technodoll
December 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
JanM, unless this is a retained deciduous tooth (baby tooth that did not fall out when the adult tooth grew in), i would say NO this is not normal. a dog has full adult dentition in place by 7 months of age, sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes a bit later, but in general this is the norm. I would have the vet examine your dog's mouth to make sure all is in order. :dog: