Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

? about Dogs that live outside...

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hello,

Can anybody tell me, can a 10 yr old male dog that has lived, tied up, outside all it's life be housebroken?
I want to try and adopt this neglected dog from a neighbor, to get it out of it's situation, but I am very concerned about the housebreaking, at 10 yrs old.

Thanks for any help! :dog:

Robin

Frenchy
December 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM
A dog is never too old to learn. And if you have other dogs in the house,it will be easier, the old dog will learn from them. I had 2 female fosters from a BYB,these dogs never lived in a house, they were 3 and 5 years old. They just followed my dogs and I had no problem housetraining them. You would do such a good thing by rescuing this poor dog ! Good luck and please keep us updated.:fingerscr

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Frenchy!

Thanks SO MUCH for the info! Your answer makes me SO HAPPY! :) Yes, we have 2 other dogs.
My husband found this dog in the middle of the road yesterday with a broken clothesline attached to his collar. This dog was filthy, stinky, feces stuck all over the back end hairs and more matted than any dog I have ever seen, not to mention loaded with burrs.
We took the dog to the vet to have it scanned for a chip and come to find out it was registered to a dog shelter, adopted out in 1997, and the owner never bothered to register the dog under her name! Anyway, we had to give the dog back. :frustrated: When confronted about the dogs condition, the lady claimed the dog must have "gotten into something" to be like that. Yeah right! :mad: Bull! The dog had only been loose an hour before my husband found it. Anyway, I KNOW the dog lives outside and is not cared for properly.
After the holiday, I'm going to see if the lady will take a couple hundred bucks for the dog...she seems like the type...lol...

Over the course of just 12 hours this dog :dog: and I bonded so much :love: and my heart is now breaking....

Thanks again! You have been a BIG help! :)

Prin
December 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Some rescues prefer you keep the dog in their name...:shrug:
(the microchip, I mean)
But I agree with Frenchy. It'll take a while maybe, but it'll happen.:)

badger
December 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Don't wait too long, sounds like this dog needs you. I hope his charming owner has lots of Christmas bills, or maybe a crack habit.

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Prin! :)

No, it was The Anti-Cruelty society and they said she was supposed to have the chip info changed over to her name, so obvioulsy she didn't care enough to.

Thanks again to you both! I hope you're right and it all works out with his housebreaking, if I get the dog.

Robin

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Don't wait too long, sounds like this dog needs you. I hope his charming owner has lots of Christmas bills, or maybe a crack habit.

OOPS! HI Badger, I didn't see you there, and LMAO @ his "charming" owner! :)

Don't worry...I won't wait too long, I only hope she'll sell us the dog...she said her husband is out of work, so I'm hoping they need the money. ( for the crack habit...lmao )

SARAH
December 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Makes me mad! Like I've mentionned somewhere on this forum before, why even get a dog if it is to leave it tied up outside all the time? :fingerscr you get it!

cpietra16
December 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Well if they have a habit to keep up with they probably need the dog to keep intruders at bay....idiots. I hate people like that...I really hope you get to keep the dog, although they may just replace it with another one:sad: Please let the shelter know that they should be careful with these people.:frustrated:

Frenchy
December 19th, 2006, 08:29 PM
It'll take a while maybe, but it'll happen.:)

Or no time at all. The 5 year old that I had didn't do ANYTHING in the house. She just learn from the moment she saw the others do it outside. The 3 year old had a few accidents (no much) but only after her spay.

~michelle~
December 19th, 2006, 08:52 PM
just so you know when you do get him:fingerscr :fingerscr he will prob need to go out more often than your other dogs, he hasnt had to train his bladder to hold on while living outside and he'll prob have some runny poops for a while so have some good quality cleaner around, but it shouldnt take too long at all!! best of luck:fingerscr and do the same training as you do with a puppy, go out side with them and praise prise praise, he'll prob learn quickly because praise will be SUCH A TREAT for his as he prob never recieved it so it will be very motivating for him.

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Sarah! :)

EXACTLY!!! This is a question I ask myself all the time, AND the people that do this . But of course I never get an answer...lol...

Thanks for the reply, Sarah!

Hi Cpietra16!

You're so right about the possiblility of them just replacing this dog with another . :sad: I also thought of that....I don't know what to do now...at least this dog is used to living outside and probably only has another 5 or 10 yrs to live, where as if they replace him with a puppy, the whole neglect cycle starts all over again. :sad:
I don't know what to do! What do ALL of YOU think?? Should I just forget the whole idea then?

Thanks , Cpietra16!

Thanks again for the info, Frenchy...I can only hope my luck is as good as yours! :)

( By the way, LOVE your Cartman pic! :) )

I emailed a veterinarian site yesterday with this question, and here's the reply I just got back from them...thought I'd share it with all of you....

ANSWER:

Possibly, with patience. It's easier for larger dogs. It's easier for female
dogs and neutered males--so get him neutered if that's not yet done. If they
have left him in a dirty situation rather than keeping his area clean or
giving him space to stay out of the mess, that could be a problem. He also has
not learned to hold it until he gets a chance to go out, and he could have
health issues making that difficult for him at first, so you would need
patience. On the plus side, he is used to eliminating outdoors, on an outdoor
surface, rather than having the habit of eliminating on something like carpeting or
inside a house.

I have several housetraining articles at the following link that will help
with the process. Don't expect him to be ready for the run of the house in
three days, but if you are patient and good at managing his space (I wouldn't
crate much, but would use a small room or exercise pen for a "playpen"
confinement method when you can't watch him, instead.), you don't have to have odor
or mess all over your house. Whether he'll ever be fully housetrained is
something you may not know until some time has passed. Tiny males are the hardest.
Larger males would rather mark a larger territory if they have that choice,
and tend to be easier to habituate to the outdoors as a result.

Remember if you do this, patience! And absolutely NO PUNISHMENT. It does not
work in housetraining and can cause devastating temperament problems. Here's
that link--look at the articles starting with the word "Housetraining":

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=SRC&S=1&SourceID=47

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM
just so you know when you do get him:fingerscr :fingerscr he will prob need to go out more often than your other dogs, he hasnt had to train his bladder to hold on while living outside and he'll prob have some runny poops for a while so have some good quality cleaner around, but it shouldnt take too long at all!! best of luck:fingerscr and do the same training as you do with a puppy, go out side with them and praise prise praise, he'll prob learn quickly because praise will be SUCH A TREAT for his as he prob never recieved it so it will be very motivating for him.

HI Michelle! :)

Sorry, I didn't see your post!
Thanks for the GREAT advice...as you can see, your advice is very similiar to the veterinarians site that emailed me back! :thumbs up
Thank You SO MUCH for your reply!

jawert1
December 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I think if you do manage to rescue this dog, a well meaning call to ALL the local shelters would be a good idea. If nothing else, it will flag these ppl as a danger to the animal population, which if any new reports come in from any future animals they manage to get their hands on, it will help build a case against them. I really hope he winds up with you, there's no evidence suggesting an outside dog can't adapt to being inside - but as your vet said, it will take PATIENCE by the bucketloads as well as time :pawprint:

~michelle~
December 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
i think you are by far one of the politest members around responding to everynes post and thanking them.... thanks its appreciated:D

susieqt
December 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM
My sister took in a dog last year that was tied up for SIXTEEN years! She is now seventeen and very, very active for her age. Little Bear has never had any problems with toilet training and has never gone in the house...so to your original question, YES, it is possible to toilet train a dog that has been tied up, Little Bear is proof to that!
I really, really hope you get to keep this dog and save it from its life on a chain. I find it a very cruel fate for any dog.
Keep us posted!

ILUVDOGS
December 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Jawert1! :)

Thanks for the advice! Fortunatly, I don't work outside of the home, so I have plenty of "time" and "patience"...otherwise I MIGHT think twice about taking on this project ! LOL

As far as giving the shelters the heads up, this is really sad, but, the 2 shelters I did mention her behavior to yesterday really didn't seem too concerned. :rolleyes: Even the one young, snotty, vet tech who scanned the dog last night ( she's always a " B " ) said to me " I'm not going to take sides... my family also had a dog that lived outside and the law states as long as the animal has food, water, and shelter that's enough".
And like I stated above, this dog was beyond filthy, smelly and matted, and the vet tech could see this! I was PISSED at her attitude! Plus, I DOUBT he has adequate shelter, and I'm sure he has to live in his own mess!

Awww....thanks ~Michelle~, that sure was sweet of you to say! :) It just bothers me when posters, even if unintentionally, ignore replies so I just wanted to be polite.

Hi Susieqt! :)

WOW!!!! WOOHOO!!!! Thanks for the AWESOME news! Once again, this makes me VERY happy! :) Thanks SO MUCH for the reply, and I'm so happy to hear that Little Bear now has a good home !

So, bottom line now is, what do all of you think I should do regarding the possibility that they will probably just replace him with another dog?? :sad:

Well, I have to get off here for the night...So, G'nite all, and thanks so much for all your help and kindness! :)

Robin :dog: