Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The trouble with a halti is..

Stoppit
December 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for some time and it makes very interesting and informative reading. I have a problem with my girl and I need some advice please!

She is a 71/2 month GSD, had her from a pup and everything is going great. She is fantastic with the kids and was housetrained virtually in a week (apart from the occassional excited wee she has never pooped in the house etc..).
The problem is that she pulls dreadfully when I walk her, and to some extent when my husband walks her too. If I put the kids in the frame at walktimes she HAS to be in front!

I have tried the treats when she is walking well, lots and lots of praise, being an 'exciting' owner (as in going in different directions and breaking out into a run at any given moment, which apart from making me a bit fitter, works well only on that particular walk.
On the positive she does automatically sit when we reach a road. Sometimes though she just gets all excited and jumps up, pawing me and stuff, it takes some time to calm her down. I have looked for any obvious signs that trigger this behaviour but it really does seem random.
I bought her a halti and she LOATHES it, but it does help, she was pulling so badly it was hurting! When I put the halti on in the house prepping for a walk she is perfect, sits and waits quietly etc, soon as I get halfway down the road she goes mad, pawing at it and getting herself into a state and then 2 seconds later she walks on like nohting has happened. I have tried to walk on when she is doing it and I have tried standing still no reaction, but she still does it. I probably haven't explained very well, but what do you think?

Hunter's_owner
December 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Do you think that over time she will get used to it?

I use one for my dog when we begin our walk, and he didn't like it at first, but now just leaves it alone.:shrug:

Scott_B
December 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Most dogs get used to the Halti's after time. Let her wear it around the house, eat with it on, etc, to show its normal to wear.

As for the walking and pulling, do a search on here, as many people have posted the same question. Also, have you considered taking a class? Many obedience places offer smaller classes that cater to these type issues.