Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering

springermom0406
December 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Well, come 2007 we may be getting our first foster dog for the Springer Spaniel rescue. I'm very excited. I've been crate shopping for a cheap used wire crate.

Anyone else foster? I've been told foster dogs shouldnt be allowed on the furniture and things like that... since its my dogs house first not the foster. Anyone have any advice? I'm just hoping I don't get myself attached and keep the dog lol.

Prin
December 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hmm... Well, I let them on the furniture, because I assume they'll be going to good homes (i.e. ones who let them on the furniture :D). I've only fostered twice so far (not 14 like Frenchy), but I can say the first time is the hardest ever. And I think the more "help" a dog needs, the more attached you get.

It is a whole home disruption though, and you can't be too in love with your floors.;)

My firsts (that I fell utterly head over heels for...):

and Lily :love: :
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Nov%20Dec%202006/Lily/IMG_4752.jpg

springermom0406
December 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Awww they are so cute.

Well having 3 dogs when Cider was here was 'doable' which made me think it might be ok. I've also taken in 2 dogs from the streets... before finding their owner or calling animal control... both broke my hearts because one ended up having an abusive owner and the other got put to sleep... so I want to do it this time where I know the dog will end up in a good home.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/thelifeofriley2/100_3860.jpg
Sage... she came onto my property... kept her until I found her owner who was so rough with her... the neighbor called me the next day telling me not to return her because they were abusive...but she was already gone. Working on getting her out that home...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f345/thelifeofriley2/100_1114.jpg
And my sweet.. "Old Lady"... found her on the highway, a deaf dog with matts all over, nails so long they curled, etc etc. Dog control took her and put her down.

I think that going into this knowing the dog will find a good home it will be easier to part.

Frenchy
December 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I've been told foster dogs shouldnt be allowed on the furniture and things like that... since its my dogs house first not the foster. Anyone have any advice? I'm just hoping I don't get myself attached and keep the dog lol.

I guess it depends on the rescue you will be fostering for. I know we don't have that kind of rules. I usually don't "coax" the fosters to get on the couch or bed but if they want to, I let them. There's enough room for everybody so they are not steeling my dogs "spots". As for you getting attached,you will have to try it once and see how it goes.

Frenchy
December 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Just want to add this for the attachement part, I wasn't clear. Yes they will be dogs you will get attache to, you will question yourself about keeping him/her. But you have to trust people, the people that adopted my fosters were such wonderful families, I know the dogs will have a wonderful life. If I had kept all the fosters I liked....I would be the crazy lady living in a beige house ! And I would have too many dogs to keep fostering. :shrug:

coppperbelle
December 18th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I haven't heard that rule about sleeping on the couch. In all honesty I try and make my fosters feel as comfortable as possible. In most cases they have gone through so much already and I just want them to know that someone gives a darn about them. I try and treat them the same way I treat my own dogs. For example, in our bedroom there are three dog beds. Each of my dogs has their own and the one at the foot of our bed is reserved for our current foster. Somehow they know this and claim it as their own at bedtime. I think it makes them feel like they belong.
I do get attached to all of them, some moreso than others of course. There have been a few that I have wanted to keep but I keep telling myself that if I keep one I won't be able to foster any others.
I think if you go into it thinking that this is just temporary it will make it a little easier when it is time for them to leave.
You will see things you will hate or that will make you so mad. You will see dogs that have been mistreated, neglected and abused. You will see dogs that respond to your love and learn to trust again. That is the best part.

OntarioGreys
December 18th, 2006, 09:06 PM
A person can be a good owner and no allow dogs on their furniture and will buy high quality beds for their dogs, it could be because they or someone in house may have allergies, would like to have clean not drooled on furniture for their guests to sit on, or they have children and do not want the dog to think they are higher on the pack scale than the children. So there may be several good reasons why not to allow dogs on the furniture, for myself I made a mistake allowing Sunny on the furniture as he is a heavy duty nester, I was finally able to ban him off the bed which is saving me in shredded bedding but the couch is a different matter, even covering it does not help to save, I have even shoved bricks and 2 by 4's into the sides to try to keep the covers in places, but when I come home will find a pile of bricks, wood and couch covers on the floor, I desperately want a new couch that looks healthy enough to sit on but know if I don't barricade to prevent him from getting on he will destroy it as well with his nesting within a year, even dogs beds take a beating here, but they are cheaper to replace or recover. So in my case now I only cover the couch when guests come over, so they don't see the mess the couch is in, though the seating is a bit lumpy where the sponge has been hollowed out by his nesting :frustrated: I also have clay like soil in my yard this time of year trying to keep feet clean is impossible so furniture also gets muddy despite trying to wipe feet as it really sticks into the hair and nails

So I agree the new owner should be the one to decide if the dog should be allowed on the furniture not the foster parent, it is hard to break a dog of a habit once they learn to do, so it is up to the foster parent to teach the dog good manners that will be accepted by any potential new owner. And it also makes for an easier transition for the dog to the new home if they are not having to be corrected for behaviour the new owner may object to.

So even if my dogs were allowed on the furniture my fosters were not allowed and were corrected if they went on, I believe all did go to new homes were they were allowed on but none had young children in the home.

Prin
December 18th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I think if you go into it thinking that this is just temporary it will make it a little easier when it is time for them to leave.Yeah, I figure when you meet the RIGHT dog for your home, you'll know right away. Even if you fall in love over time and convince yourself maybe you should keep this one, IMO if there's a "maybe", then it's a foster.:o

springermom0406
December 18th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I realize its going to be tough but I'm looking forward to it.

Greys~ I think that was everyones point that told me I shouldnt allow them on furniture. I guess some of the other fosters for the springer rescue dont allow them on funiture either.

Prin
December 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
But it goes both ways though- I want my doggies up with me on the furniture, but Jemma is so uncomfortable with it and it sucks.:(

LibbyP
December 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Hmm... Well, I let them on the furniture, because I assume they'll be going to good homes (i.e. ones who let them on the furniture :D).

I am sorry if I'm reading this wrong but (IMO) I don't think this was a very nice thing to say, I have a very good home and love my animals (sssh sometimes more than hubby ;) ) but I do not let them on the furniture ~ ever ~ we have 6 very nice dog beds that are just that 'the bed for the dogs'

Prin
December 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM
:D <---- joking.

Daisy2943
December 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Usually they will give you a list of rules. Ive fosterd 6 dogs and kept two of them. Where i fostered at they had puppy school, vet appointments, and evaulations. They were easy going but very time consuming.

Toonces
December 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I have never encouraged any of our fosters on the couch just because I don't want to adopt them out with habbits new parents may not want. We have lots of comphy doggy beds and blankies all over for them to lounge on. My girls were allowd on the furniture untill we got new leather stuff, they have adjusted fine and I don't think they miss it.

Good luck with your foster:D