Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppies-how to bottle feed the runt of the litter?

kareena
December 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
my one year old bitch had 9 puppies 2 weeks ago.
After 2 days the weakest one died, inspite of our attampts to bottle feed her.
now there are 8 puppies, but the mother only has 7 nipples. we feed her well and she has enough milk, but the weakest puppy is always the one not to get to the nipple when thay are feeding, and has become very thin and weak. we are trying to bottle feed him on UHT milk, but he will not take more than a few drops.
can someone suggest what we should be doing to try to save this puppy from starving ?
(we live in India and do not have access to pet shops or products)

erykah1310
December 17th, 2006, 01:21 AM
How does the mother only have 7 nipples???
Try alternating puppies, take the stronger ones off and put the weak one on.The puppy really needs its mothers milk.

kareena
December 17th, 2006, 02:53 AM
unfortunately mother is 'strong-willed" and gets aggressive if we try to come near the pups whilst she is there.

BMDLuver
December 17th, 2006, 03:15 AM
First of all, a one year old is a pup itself... so has no right having puppies to begin with. Second of all, go to a vet and get proper direction on how to take care of the puppies this mom can obviously not help herself. You made the decision to bring them into this world, now it's your responsibility to do everything humanly and financially possible to care for them. May sound a bit harsh but honestly, what the heck is she doing having pups at this age? Sorry folks but my holiday spirit goes down the tubes in these instances.

kareena
December 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
maybe better to get the facts of a situation before passing judgement.

Nobody made any "decisions" to bring these puppies into the world.

And yes life is harsh in India.

In the absense of pets vetinary parlours like you have in the west, I am trying to cope with the situation as best we can.

If i was a local, i would have removed all the female puppies and abandoned them to die on the beach. that is where i found this puppy who now is a mother, one year ago. then all the little boy dogs would have enough milk.

so please get down from your preaching pedestal and leave space for others to try to give constractive advice to help these puppies survive.

BMDLuver
December 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM
that is where i found this puppy who now is a mother, one year ago.

Sorry but this statement says it all. You found her a year ago. It's your responsibilty to not allow her to get pregnant, isn't it? or did she still get to roam freely? Yes I'm harsh but the clarification doesn't justify why she got pregnant. Where you live is a mute point on why she got pregnant in the first place, no?

Blathach
December 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Please find a vet. Thread closed.